Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Guys,
I'm seeing their name about a lot lately, apparently sold 6 at NEC the other week
How many of us (mine next week) are there?
Jack

Well come next Saturday, there's gonna be one more!::bigsmile:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Congrats Jack/Zaskar! :Smile:

What have you guys gone for, a complete rig or have you sourced the truck separately?

I'm hoping to find the right one at the forthcoming Peterborough show, or better still, the Newbury show which is earlier.

I'd also be interested to know what length trailer you have both decided on, and whether you intend to tour across the channel or UK only. One of my worries is the fact we're not allowed to use Aires however, after getting hold of Mo & Dick's Big Pitch Guide for Europe I'm not as worried as I was as there seems to be plenty of sites that can accomodate a largish rig. I'm thinking of a Dodge Ram (petrol/LPG) / 30-35' tralier combo.

Good luck guys, I'm well-jealous! :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Congrats Jack/Zaskar! :Smile:

What have you guys gone for, .........................
Good luck guys, I'm well-jealous! :thumb:

Getting a KountryLite 26 High Profile but with rear end lounge (you wont find it on the web site:winky:) plus a few other mods re- cupboards in the bedroom etc.
Its a 27 footer and is as big as you'd want to go with a Euro pick-up.

Reason we went for it it cos we're Fulltimers.
We've had 10 wonderfull years Fulltiming in American A class RV's but eventually the running costs and a ream of engine, bodywork and equipment problems made us think that although we could replace our poorly RV with a better one, we simply couldn't keep spending 30K or so every 5-6 years and STILL have something left for retirement. A VERY tough decision, but common sense prevailed.

We've tried an Abbey Spectrum 535 twin axle caravan with large Fiamma awning for 10 months now and have decided that such a unit simply isn't good enough for Fulltiming through British winters. It's a lovelly, warm, comfy piece of kit but it misses the absolute essentials for Fulltiming (or long terming) such as on board stroage and fresh/waste tanks.
If I was at the stage in life where I was overwintering in Spain, I'd think SERIOUSLY about keeping the caravan, but we're not. We've got a fair way to go yet and I intend to spend it in the best comfort I can afford and still leave some for later in life.::bigsmile: Always a balancing act innit!:winky:

To this end, we think that a 5ver plus Nissan Navara will give us the best of both worlds.........hopefully.
We'll get the space, luxury, tanks and storage of a Yank, but with a comparatively economical European pick up for towing, sightseeing and commuting, tho' most of the latter is done in ffiona's Citreon C1 at about a million miles to the gallon!:Eeek:::bigsmile:

If, and I mean IF, I was doing a European tour, I'd seriously think about a Yank pick up due to the weight. Lets have it right, even chipped, a Navara isn't going to be a rocket ship with that lot hanging off the back. As it is, our milage is mainly limited to short trips around the CL's in Cheshire every 28 days with only 2 BIG milage trips per year, Normandy in the spring and (hopefully) the south of France in the Summer.

In your case, given the size of the rig you want, there is no option but to go for a Yank pick up OR some sort of UK truck conversion.

As far as the continent goes, I've never really understood all the comments I've read on Forums like this re access for large-ish rigs on French sites.
ffi' and I had a 34ft RV and went to France twice a year for 10 years and I recon I could count on the fingers of less than one hand the times when we were stuck for pitch access.
I genuinly believe that as far as France goes, it's just not worth worrying about up to the 34ft area. I do, however think that 35 foot of 5ver PLUS a Ram on the front is going to be pushing it a bit.
Spain tho', might be a different matter. My experience there is limited to walk in visits when I've been visiting my folks who live there. Every site I've visited has been very tight, packed and expensive.......to the tune that we think we might end up somewhere like Portugal instead.

Dream on..................:Cool:::bigsmile:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Zaskar

Thanks for the very informative reply.

I'm sure the choice you have made will be perfect for your needs as you have the advantage of many years experience, so you can see the bigger picture, whereas this is my first introduction to motorhoming.

Although I know we're going to love the experience, I've been worried about not making the wrong decision when it comes to vehicle length etc. as I don't want to be regretting it down the line. I'm now thinking sticking to a trailer no longer than 31/32' will probably be the way to go for us. I hadn't realised how tough this was going to be!!

Hopefully meet up with you on our travels one day! :thumb:

Thanks again,

Paul

tonka130

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
outskirts of Chelmsford
Funster No
MH
Half built 5ver
Exp
only 3 years so far
As soon as i've sold my demountable (hopefully this weekend), i'll be onto Alex to order a 22' 'euro' 5ver (Alex reckon's about 6 weeks turn around on one).

We were going to go for a 26' low profile, rear lounge, but as we like CL's and are years away from fulltiming, this will do us well. Luckily enough he had one at the NEC, albeit only just.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
As soon as i've sold my demountable (hopefully this weekend), i'll be onto Alex to order a 22' 'euro' 5ver (Alex reckon's about 6 weeks turn around on one).

We were going to go for a 26' low profile, rear lounge, but as we like CL's and are years away from fulltiming, this will do us well. Luckily enough he had one at the NEC, albeit only just.

........and very nice it was to.
Must admit I was very impressed with the layout, but as we're fulltimers, I think the KountryLite will be better suited to our particular needs.
Roll on Saturday when we go up to sign on the dotted line!::bigsmile::Eeek:::bigsmile:

You know those times when you're both excited (at the prospect of a new home::bigsmile:::bigsmile:) but terrified (about the amount of money involved!:Eeek:).?

tonka130

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
outskirts of Chelmsford
Funster No
MH
Half built 5ver
Exp
only 3 years so far
...You know those times when you're both excited (at the prospect of a new home::bigsmile:::bigsmile:) but terrified (about the amount of money involved!:Eeek:).?

I've sort of got the opposite at the mo, with losing a home:cry:, and worrying about the amount of dosh I will get for it :whatthe:, oh the joys of ebay.

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hi

Hi Zaskar
We have a 24ft Amerilite that we tow with a 54 plate 150 bhp common rail Navara we took it to Bavaria last summer and being a truck driver we didnt hang around much
You are right about it not being a racing car but it did all we asked with 5er heavily loaded both ways we averaged about 20 MPG overall with very little solo mileage

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Zaskar
We have a 24ft Amerilite that we tow with a 54 plate 150 bhp common rail Navara we took it to Bavaria last summer and being a truck driver we didnt hang around much
You are right about it not being a racing car but it did all we asked with 5er heavily loaded both ways we averaged about 20 MPG overall with very little solo mileage

Hiya Yetties!::bigsmile:
Thanks for the info, much appreciated and always better to hear the experiences of "real" people rather than salesmans blurb!:winky:

At 150bhp, I'm guessing you have a D22? We're after a D40 Auto at 171 standard, 204 chipped so I think the extra weight of the KountryLite should be balanced by the greater horsepower..........we'll see.::bigsmile:
I like coments like " it did everything we asked of it". Never been a flyer in any of my rigs. Happy at 60 on the inside lane and we get to the top when we do. That's plenty good enough for me and, I think, a sacrifice worth paying for onsite comfort.
The 20MPG is VERY impressive, I'm pleased at that as I was banking on 17 and will be quite happy with that after 11 from my RV (9 if you count the west coast of Scotland!:Eeek:).
Keep in touch, via PM if you like, I'd be very pleased to hear of your experiences of using a 5ver in the UK.
All the best::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Got it!

Went to Calder Leisure on Wednesday and picked up the Kountrylite 26 rear kitchen.
They put your on a campsite about 1m from their place, very clean etc. while they "do" the Navara. Mine had already been chipped (58 plate) and I was geeting 30+ mpg no towing. This is now about 19 mpg with the Mothership on the back.
The guys who do the mods were really friendly bunch of guys and did a great job.
Tip* make sure you have your lockable wheel nut remover with you, I thought I had left mine and just before they were about to gride them off, I found it.
CL lend you a car and we stayed in the area, windy/cold/rain etc. until Saturday morning. The unit was very impressive, warm, stable and better than we expected all round.
On Friday you get to test drive your NEW navara and 5er, reversing etc.
Tip* if you have not done it before practice hitching/unhitching, we did'nt, just watched it a couple of times and lost a lot of time(and embasresment on the camp site)
There were a few "snags" but CL just fixed/adjusted there and then, really good people to do business with. On friday night Alex and Marguerite came round far a final chat and check if we were OK with everything, not many sales people do that.
We had to drive it back here, Sussex, and managed OK until 500 yards from the storage area, coming round a mis-judged bend, rigs rhs wheels fell into stream. Ripped the steps off, they just bounced out (in future fix a lock to them). So looked like a major "large vechicle mover job" moment.
I noticed I still had 6 feet or so in a straight lin before I hit the other side of the hedge so I put the truck in low 4wd, hit the gas and the bloody thing just pulled it out!!
Amazing power!
Good news, apart from the steps, which are been welded back into shape today, no other damage just some minor scratches to the skirt.
Now parked up safe and sound. Off to Spain in May.
Good luck
Jack

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Went to Calder Leisure on Wednesday and picked up the Kountrylite 26 rear kitchen....................Good luck
Jack

Hi Jack.
Congratulations on the new rig, you must be tickled pink!:thumb:::bigsmile::thumb:
Great to here that the buying experience was a pleasurable one as well. I think when you're spending that sort of dosh, it's much nicer if the people you have to deal with are pleasant and not a case of only having to deal with them so that you can get what you want! Must admit that Alex was great with us when we went up to order.
We've just been given a shipping date of 21 April!!!!!! On pins or what!!!!!! ?::bigsmile:
If you could post (or PM) in a bit more detail reagrding manouvreing, towing ability/motorway speed and stability with the Navara, I'd be really gratefull.
Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.:thumb:
Happy travels.:thumb:
Zaskar

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Cl kl26rk

Z,
Reversing,
I had reversed a small trailer a couple of times 30 years ago!
I spent about 1 hr playing with the rig on an industrial estate till I got the hang of it, still need some more practice but I'm getting there, the twin axles seem to want to fight each other all the time and are squ whif (?) at end. I guess it depends on your experiance, looks like you've got a lot more than me, but overall reversing this rig seems OK. (We went for a reversing camera as well)
Towing
0-60 mph, measure in months. Need lots of time pulling out. Once at 60, in cruise, absolutely no problem. Up there and coming back there were high winds, hardly any effect (except miliage dropped to 17mpg)
Basically if you are not in a hurry, and we are not, the Navara is great, btw they equip it with adjustable suspension (very good) and trailer braking system, the braking is awsome!
When you buy something sometimes you think "that's not quite right" or "this does not feel good". Well all I/we thought was "This is it, bang on, no probs"
Look forward to April mate.
Regards
Jack:thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
The big day today Zaskar! :thumb:
Hope it's gone well.
Paul

I WISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Alex was on the phone at w/e. Delivery now 25th May, hopefully, for definate this time!:thumb:
Never mind, at least it gives me time to find that elusive Navara!:ROFLMAO:
To say ffi' and I are on pins would be putting it midly!!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the good wishes, I'll keep you all informed.........believe me, you'll hear me from Edinburgh!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Bad luck! Never mind, not too long to wait. You'll look back and laugh about this one day! :Smile:
Keep us posted! :thumb:

Paul

tonka130

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
outskirts of Chelmsford
Funster No
MH
Half built 5ver
Exp
only 3 years so far
Bad news or what!
We too are crossing the days off the calender (like being a kid again, with an extremely long advent calender), worse for you though as xmas just went back a month.
Our 22' Euro is supposed to be leaving the factory in early May, for early June collection. Going by your delay, I reckon i'd better brace myself for July delivery.

'good things come to those that wait', and at least we all know Calder 5vers are worth waiting for.

Steve

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Good

Our 22' Euro is supposed to be leaving the factory in early May, for early June collection. ..................
Steve

Now those 22's are NICE! Saw it at the NEC and INSTANTLY fell in love with the layout.
If we just wanted a "holiday" 'van or a "Spain overwintering" 'van they would be right at the top of our list.:thumb:
Good choice!:thumb:

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Hi Zaskar

Sorry to hear about your delayed delivery May must seem like its an age away now think I could have been rather less than polite being given the news of a delay like that.

One of the reasons I got a D22 was we had thoughts of maybe fulltiming at some point and if we do go that route it should limit how much we will loose money wise also we can see how we get on with the 5er we have.

For full timing we would want to up size but until we have done a couple of seasons on and off sites with our hobby we wont know how much bigger is practical.

All the best and as I said in the pm if you fancy a chat you have my number

Neil

tonka130

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
outskirts of Chelmsford
Funster No
MH
Half built 5ver
Exp
only 3 years so far
Now those 22's are NICE! Saw it at the NEC and INSTANTLY fell in love with the layout.
If we just wanted a "holiday" 'van or a "Spain overwintering" 'van they would be right at the top of our list.:thumb:
Good choice!:thumb:

Zaskar,
The 22' came along just at the right time, we were going to go bigger but this will be ideal. We can only get away a week or two at a time for the next few years, and as we love C.L's this will fit the bill perfectly.
It's not massive, but compared to the Northstar demountable that we have used for the last three years, it's like the albert hall!
Steve.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Another Calder 5th

Just bought a KountryLite Bunkhouse, great space and toys after 6 years of European motorhomes we fulltime largely abroad in the winter so are delighted with a bit of room for a change. Problems with the tow-truck a 2007 Nissan Navara Outlaw only 8000miles we have only towed with this for about 500 miles since buying our new set up. Problem 1 smoking clutch when doing any low speed manouevre -seems a Nissan weakness reading other forums hopefully can get done under warranty. Problem 2 Upright behind passenger rear doublecab appears to have creased/buckled which has only showed up after towing . Buckling not exterior striking damage can anyone enlighten me or relate anything similar . After reading this and lots of other forums i am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the Nissan is not up to it , Ford F150 is maybe the way to go. Enough of this the sun is now out --better things to do :Cool:

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Another Calder 5th

Just bought a KountryLite Bunkhouse, great space and toys after 6 years of European motorhomes we fulltime largely abroad in the winter so are delighted with a bit of room for a change. Problems with the tow-truck a 2007 Nissan Navara Outlaw only 8000miles we have only towed with this for about 500 miles since buying our new set up. Problem 1 smoking clutch when doing any low speed manouevre -seems a Nissan weakness reading other forums hopefully can get done under warranty. Problem 2 Upright behind passenger rear doublecab appears to have creased/buckled which has only showed up after towing . Buckling not exterior striking damage can anyone enlighten me or relate anything similar . After reading this and lots of other forums i am increasingly coming to the conclusion that the Nissan is not up to it , Ford F150 is maybe the way to go. Enough of this the sun is now out --better things to do :Cool:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your trials with the Nissan. When you say buckling behind the cab on the upright, do you mean the actual cab or the front upright section of the pick up bed.

I would hazard a guess at chassis flex caused by the 5'er, but I hasten to add this is only a guess, photos would help.

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
also need to know if 5th wheel is bolted to chassis or just to pick up bed. have seen some bad fixing mounts on euro pickups. usually need sturdy brackets under bed to chassis. thats why i prefer truck style mounting

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thanks for replies i would post some photographs if someone could enlighten me how to do this . I am not a complete duffer but cannot manage at the moment . Damage is at the back of the pick-up truck cab itself not the front of the bed looks to all intent like the flatbed has twisted from drivers side to passenger side because "gaps" are different from one side to the other

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Thanks for replies i would post some photographs if someone could enlighten me how to do this . I am not a complete duffer but cannot manage at the moment . Damage is at the back of the pick-up truck cab itself not the front of the bed looks to all intent like the flatbed has twisted from drivers side to passenger side because "gaps" are different from one side to the other

I know what you mean about posting photographs.........:Doh: I cannot do it either, we can put men on the moon yet devise a simple system for photographs..........no chance ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

If the panel gaps etc are different then it is, in my opinion, likely to be chassis/superstructure (cab) flex,.
As to the causes, maybe the fifth wheel hitch is not correctly mounted to the chassis thereby load in excess of design maximum is being borne by the flatbed itself and this is twisting against the chassis rails and cab superstructure, maybe it is insufficient spread of load on the fifth wheel hitch mounting plates is causing the chassis rails to twist.

Have you any measurements from under the pick up bed, or can you see from visual inspection any signs of twisting or distortion.

If I can help further then let me know.

Rob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Guys, its simple to add photos to posts, have a look at this tutorial Link Removed

If you are still having problems please PM me, I will bbe only too happy to help:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
With regards to the clutch smoking, do you use low range when manouvering? We assume you have 4x4 with high/low range? When manouvering a trailer with our Land Rover we always use low range, it helps the clutch have an easy life. As regards to the crease - don't like the sound of that.

Nigel and Pamala

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thanks to all for the helping suggestions just returned from Nissan dealer who will do clutch,flywheel,pedal box under warranty . Replying to Jim the 5th wheel bracket only bolts to the pick-up bed not the chassis so possibly a source of weakness! I wonder if i would get the symptons as i described if the bracket is fractionally drilled off-centre? I did read a post in a fixed or sliding attachment forum where another Calder customer had similar problemsto my buckling of one side . After i get the new clutch any manoeuvres definitely will use low ratio 4wd

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Thanks to all for the helping suggestions just returned from Nissan dealer who will do clutch,flywheel,pedal box under warranty . Replying to Jim the 5th wheel bracket only bolts to the pick-up bed not the chassis so possibly a source of weakness! I wonder if i would get the symptons as i described if the bracket is fractionally drilled off-centre? I did read a post in a fixed or sliding attachment forum where another Calder customer had similar problemsto my buckling of one side . After i get the new clutch any manoeuvres definitely will use low ratio 4wd

Hi,
I have been out and had a good look at the hitch in my Ford. This is through bolted to the chassis in such a way as to prevent the pick up bed from bearing any weight or load. Further there are thick gauge steel plates attached via bolts to the chassis rails to which the hitch is in turn bolted.
I would recommend you have a long hard look again, I for one would be very nervous of any hitch or coupling that did not attach directly to the chassis rails.

I will try and take and post some photos of my hitch mounting plate.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back