Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Noticed over a period of days the two new leisures batteries always show 13.5... Sooner or later... Solar or EHU
Whereas the cab battery never makes more than 13... Unless EHU plugged in ... Then 13.5 within a short time... Then drifts back to 13 if no EHU...

Is this just the nature of the read-out on the panel or perhaps the fact that the cab battery has probably stood best part of a year (on dealer forecourt)...?

I'm not panicking or anything... Just curious.. :) (y)

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Battery technology is changing all the time but you have two different types of battery. The construction of the cab, or starter, battery provides a high current for the starter motor. The leisure batteries would be damaged under those conditions. However, by using thinner plates there is an increase in the surface area and this lifts the voltage available. There are other factors involved but it gets technical.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Basically.... No sweat then.... All is normal... Battery-wise... It may be a different story for the operator :LOL:

So i'm guessing if I looked at hab battery reading..... After dark with no EHU... It may well read less than 13.5 (y)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Cool... everyfink becomes so simples ... when you consult the Funsteroricle :)

Sat ere [on drive in MH] wi blu-toof from Iphone.. had a rattling speaker... Does my head in!! ..... However, soon sorted with four rubber grommets - pinched from my servo box - from my model aeroplane flying days... (any modellers will know what I mean) (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Remember those times well. Do you miss flying? I know I do :unsure:

I still have a few models in the false roof ... Two of which are unfinished...
A small plan built hand launch .. And a 80" scale Firecracker..
The other is a Hooligan - a bit like the Chris Foss Wot 4...
Various engines and two sets of radio gear. (Prob well dated by now and incorrect frequency for model flying)
One day maybe... I might get back into it :)

Reactions: JJ
Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I still have a few models in the false roof ... Two of which are unfinished...
A small plan built hand launch .. And a 80" scale Firecracker..
The other is a Hooligan - a bit like the Chris Foss Wot 4...
Various engines and two sets of radio gear. (Prob well dated by now and incorrect frequency for model flying)
One day maybe... I might get back into it :)
Much th same here. I loved the Wot 4 had a couple of them as one ended up in a carrier bag :Eeek::crying:
The other great fun plane was an Avicraft Panic. Now you could really have some fun with that (with an OS 60 tuned pipe on the front)
Not done any flying for 20 years :( and I've only just realised its been that long.
Oh happy days :smiley::smiley:

Upvote 0

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you have solar? keeping the leisures at 13.6 but the stater battery is 13 it would indicate that there is a battery master fitted. A full battery is 12.6 or 12.7 volts, anything higher would indicate the meter is inaccurate or it is getting a charge.

Use a voltmeter directly at the battery terminals to compare with your control panel reading

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
When you switch the light switch on does the light light up?

Yes = all is well

No = fire up your genny.

I use to spend a lot of time looking at dials... but I have grown out of it now.

JJ :cool:

not befor 8am or after 10pm please.....................:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Battery technology is changing all the time but you have two different types of battery. The construction of the cab, or starter, battery provides a high current for the starter motor. The leisure batteries would be damaged under those conditions.
When my cab battery is flat, I just jump it off the leisure batteries. Will this do harm ?

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
When my cab battery is flat, I just jump it off the leisure batteries. Will this do harm ?
Sorry for the delay. Potentially, yes, it is likely to damage the leisure battery. However, some people prefer to have, what are described as, dual purpose batteries for the leisure use. I would suggest that you determine what your leisure batteries are classed as.

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If we've been parked up for a few days, playing the cab radio (vehicle battery) we switch the ignition on for a while and the E Box automatically starts to top up the cab battery from the leisure batteries, I've seen as much as 10 amps getting transferred across.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I have a traffic light system so if it goes red I would know I have done something wrong, correct? Our intention is to use EHU 95% of the time so I guess I have nothing to worry about until the battery has reached the end of it's useful life, is that correct?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back