Which make / model & where to buy?? (1 Viewer)

T

Taximum

Deleted User
:helpsos:

Hi guys,

Any help appreciated!!

In a spin here - so much information to digest!

We are a family of six looking for a motor home, 4 kids under 10! We have looked at a few & our local man has shown us some Rimors, the superbrig & the katamarano 6. They seem quite basic (finish wise) but a good price, especially as they are further reduced on the unregistered 08 models. We prefer the one with the rear 'u shape' lounge. We are concerned about storage & the engine size being only 2.5, but attracted by the fact that we can drive this size on our ordinary licenses.

We are fully open to suggestion on make & are willing to go abroad to buy if the prices are better. What country is the cheapest for Motor Homes? And which are the most favoured makes?

Any advise to a family 'wet behind the ears' greatfully appreciated!!

:Smile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
With kids you are right to choose a layout that incorporates a U-shaped lounge. Many years experience motorhoming with three children and we have learned that this is the best layout. The Autotrial Scouts and Pullman, couple of Bessecarrs and a Swift KonTiki or two, have as far as I'm concerned, the ideal layout for travelling with children. They have a dinette upfront and a U-shaped lounge in the rear. These are not the only motorhomes with this layout by any means and you really should try to visit a show where you will be able to sit in and get the feel of hundreds of different types, styles and layout. The show season is just starting. Look at the show rallies on the front page of the forum and you will see a show at Newark in a couple of weeks, and the main show of the year which happens at Peterborough in April. You really should try to get yourself along to one of these shows.

Meanwhile, thanks for joining and welcome to the fun:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hi taximum and welcome.

May i be outrageous and suggest looking at an RV or two? not sure what you plan to do with your MH but thats a big family you have there.

it might help to know what you intend on doing, are you looking to site it for a week or so? are you looking to tour in it? each answer will give you different questions to ask.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are a family of six looking for a motor home, 4 kids under 10!

Maybe you should consider a bit bigger MH, statistics say there's another one due any time now.

Don't forget to count the seatbelts before you pay your deposit, 6 seatbelts are not common 7 even less so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Taximum

Deleted User
Thanks for all help!!

Tell me about it - 4 kids!! Well, it's a Brady Bunch situation, but all getting on well TG!!

We live in Ireland & have a house in France, we have various friends & family scattered around Europe so we would like to be able to travel around while meeting up with some of them on our way. We intend on overnights away in Ireland aswell as longer breaks on the Continent. We have 1 boy & 3 girls but we can cope with doubled up sleeping for some time yet.

We would love to go as big as we can but are concerned about having to go for new licenses and the time that takes here. As I believe, on our current license's, we can drive upto 3.5 tonnes??

We have a wedding in the UK this summer which we have found out, for the 6 of us, in accomadation, will cost £1500 as it's high season, we'd rather be able to put it off the price of a MH / RV.

Yes, we have noticed the seat belt numbers - mad! Don't understand why you would want to sleep 7, yet only be able to travel 4 - the mind boggles! We've also been consiencious that we want all of our belted seats to be rear or forward facing with head rests. The guy local to us said that he could fit them as extras.

As we have the French house & contacts in Germany etc, that is why we were also wondering which country has the best deals.

Thanks for your welcomes & your much welcomed advise!

:Smile:

Upvote 0

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Taximum - I only basically have one piece of advice - Do not rush into making a decision. For the upcomming wedding you could consider hiring something for a week which would likely be a good deal less than the hotel costs you've quoted, would enable you to find all the plus & minus points, and give a longer time frame in which to make a decision.

It is a bit mind numbing to begin with, I started looking in November and have still to make a decision, even 'tho I will be using the MH in Europe I will be going for the RHD version, not buying in Germany or wherever which will be LHD and much more of a target for theives.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Taximum

Deleted User
hiring

yes, we did think of hiring but found out it costs €165 per day!

We won't rush our decision if we aren't sure but would like to try to get one for then, hence the plea for advice from the experienced! :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Taximum

Deleted User
Another on the way?

hey Brian, when u refered to the stats & another on the way.... I really hope that you meant a MH not another child!! :Eeek: :roflmto:

Upvote 0

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I rushed into buying mine. It was the first one I saw. And 6 years later I've still got it and wouldn't want anything else.

I think a Rimor is an excellent choice subject to seat belts. Basic maybe but who wants a fancy van with all those kids. Go for it. Living in Ireland and going to shows will be difficult so make a decision now is my advice.

I love your name by the way. :thumb:

Upvote 0

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
yes, we did think of hiring but found out it costs €165 per day!

We won't rush our decision if we aren't sure but would like to try to get one for then, hence the plea for advice from the experienced! :winky:

Sorry to hear that, I pysching myself up to pay pounds 75 per day for two weeks in April but that of course is a small 2 berth MH, I guess if you really need six beds it will be more, I'll just go now and check out Elite (Who I'm using) and see what they charge.

ETA
92 pound a day for family 6 berth Mar.28 - Jun.5th what they call 'Mid season'
But, shock horror, that goes up to 132 pound from Jun 6th.!!

I don't suppose the lovely couple would consider moving their wedding day would they !!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Taximum

Deleted User
high season

I know!! Imagine planning your wedding for the 1st week in August - when most of 'both' families have to travel to be there!! - Mind u - maybe they are trying to keep us away!!:roflmto:

Traveling as a family of 6 is really expensive, especially as 2 rooms are required, meaning we have to pay for 4 adults (& stay in seperate rooms) & flights are multiplied by 6. MH seems the way to go! Was thinking of trying for the Peterborough Show, anybody know the closest airport?

RE, the name - it's an occupation all by itself!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We would love to go as big as we can but are concerned about having to go for new licenses and the time that takes here. As I believe, on our current license's, we can drive upto 3.5 tonnes??

hi taximum,

if you passed your test before '97 then you can drive 7.5t.....after '97 will be 3.5t

loads of <7.5t RV's out there.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back