Rally Chat Taking Dogs To France (1 Viewer)

Cliffy38

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Harlow
Funster No
MH
Elddis 175 Prestige
Exp
since 2012
hi guys was wondering need some advice regarding taking my dogs to France , me and hubby want to travel this year hubby keeps saying it's going to be very expensive and we do have three dogs , I know we need doggie passports but if anyone can just give me a run down on what we need to do I would be very grateful xxx

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Take dogs to vet and get passports and rabies injections.

Take dogs to France, likely to be a charge on the ferries, not sure about tunnel.

Between 5 days and 24 hours of returning to the UK, take dogs to vet for worm treatment and "fit to travel" examination.

Difficult to predict costs as vets vary enormously. Might be £50 per pooch for rabies vaccine in the UK and from 20 to 50+ euros for visit to vet in France. The vets near the channel ports are probably the most expensive. The rabies vaccination should last three years.

And if staying at sites expect a charge of a few euros each but some sites will not accept dogs.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Dog passports cost about £100 each(chips vaccines paperwork etc.) plus about £30 each for Ferry/ Tunnel etc(return). About £20 each at French vet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
a) Now - go see your vet - get rabies jab for dog - get pet passport from vet ( I assume they're chipped)
b) when you travel to Europe with your dogs - on way back at least 24 hours before you check in and no more than 120 hours, see local vet, get worming treatment and get pet passport entry completed and stamped

... that's it!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are in France with our two dogs. Vets prices over here vary enormously. Cheapest prices we paid were about €20 per dog for just the worm tablet ( you don't need the examination and fitness to travel part filled in, at least we haven't on a few occasions on the tunnel, they are just looking for the worm tablets to be given ) to about €45 each. We use the same vet now in Brittany and with examinations, we pay about €45 for the two.
Tunnel charge around £30 return per dog.

Allan

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Euro Tunnel charge £16 each way per dog, so £32 each return therefore your 3 will cost you £96 return with them, the ferries are (or used to be) £15 each way, so £30 return, £90 for all 3. Out last vet visit before returning to the UK cost us approximately £52 for 2 small and 1 medium/large dog, we supplied the worming tablets (1 chewable tablet each) and so around overall the total vet cost was around £65, so just for Euro Tunnel and vet for 3 dogs that's £161!

As for the initial chipping, rabies jab and passports themselves, if you do them as a 'job lot' you should get it cheaper but it still will cost you in the region of £60-£100 per dog depending on size of dog and your vet's hourly rate!

Don't feel that you MUST go to your normal vet though, the passports can be done anywhere so ring round and see who will do it cheapest - you can often get the chipping done by the RSPCA/PDSA etc for around £15, and sometimes for nothing depending on whether or not there's a 'campaign' on at the time to encourage owners to do it. The chipping doesn't have to be done at the same time as the passport but it must be done BEFORE it as the number is put on the passport etc.

Also there is mention made of the 3 year rabies vaccine - this can be in short supply so check before you commit to a vet which they will use as some is 2 year or even 1 year and therefore you could end up paying more over the next 3 years if you're not careful.

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
We went to a vets in Brugge two weeks ago, charged us €30 for both dogs. Thats the cheapest we have ever paid. Most expensive was about 4 years ago in France when we paid €70 and we only had one dog!
The tunnel is easier if you don't want to leave the dogs on their own, but the ferry can work out cheaper

Deleted User
Our youngest cost £57 last year for her passport, she was already chipped.
We use tunnel, as easiest for the dogs, if you have Tesco vouchers can use for the fare, but not the dog charges.
Vets, paid 64 euro last year for two dogs with us supplying the milbermax, we left it until we were too close to Calais. Hopefully will be cheaper this year as will get them done earlier.
ACSI book includes one free dog on most sites look for G in the first section, if it's in bold they will accept more than one, but charge for any above the first. We have been sticking with sites with an unbold G and have not been charged for extra. We have three with us this year. Happy travels

Lin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Dog passports cost about £100 each(chips vaccines paperwork etc.)

:Eeek: You need a new vet as well! You should very easily be able to get the rabies jab and passport for less than £50 and chipping should be £15-£20.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Also there is mention made of the 3 year rabies vaccine - this can be in short supply so check before you commit to a vet which they will use as some is 2 year or even 1 year and therefore you could end up paying more over the next 3 years if you're not careful.

Nobivac and Vanguard are two of the very easily available ones that last 3 years with no boosters or anything.

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
We just returned and as our pooch is large, the dose is weight dependant, we were charged a whopping 83 euros for the treatment and check over. A vets I won't be going to again that's for sure.

It's VERY important to ensure the vet dates AND times the treatment given or you could find yourself looking for a vet near the port and have a 24 hour delay as happened to a dog owner in front of us at the tunnel.

On another note, when in France or Spain, look out for pine trees, look at the branches and see if you can see cotton wool like structures. These are nests woven by the pine moth, and the caterpillars they produce, the pine processionary caterpillar can be nasty to pets (and humans) from memory this is the time of year the caterpillars descend and form chains. These little buggers have very fine hairs that they "loose" off into a victim and can cause at the very least a severe reaction and at worst if a dog licks them can cause the dog to part chew out its own tongue.

I've only seen the caterpillars in Mallorca but the nests I've seen all over France, you may never see one but its best to be aware.

cheers

Frank

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
These are the moth/caterpillar 'nests' ... we saw load of them in Spain, not so many in France though.
caterpillar 'nest'.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Saw loads all over France a month ago

frank550

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Most towns will have these trees sprayed as it damages the trees also, but its good to be aware, and scan the ground for these varmints

Sep 4, 2013
North Hants
Funster No
MH
Chatsworth CV40
Exp
Motorhome since 1997 Camping since 1990
We paid 8 euros for our 2 yorkies in Leucate and got back to the port in 4 days. As others have said prices at vets vary enormously.

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
:Eeek: You need a new vet as well! You should very easily be able to get the rabies jab and passport for less than £50 and chipping should be £15-£20.
My regular vet quoted me £350 for my 15kg dog even though she is chipped, chopped and vaccinated!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Last month I paid £50 for Ruby's pet passport and rabies jab, she was already chipped. Vet also suggested redoing her vaccines as she is out of date.

I told Harry my son he would have to hold her steady for her passport photo and that we'd need a light background and extra frontal light source as she's a black Scottish terrorist, he didn't believe me and we had a good laugh about it, picked up the passport and there is space for a photo!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
My regular vet quoted me £350 for my 15kg dog even though she is chipped, chopped and vaccinated!

That's insanity. I'm assuming they just didn't want to do it. My 12kg Cocker and 23kg springer were both the same price: £46 each for the rabies jab and the passport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back