Should I Fit A Sog Or Thetford Vent On My Doubled Floored Rapido (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I am sure there are hundreds of posts about the SOG system, in fact I know there are I must have read most of them. I have a Thetford C-250S cassette fitted in a Rapido with a double floor. The question I need answering is: Thetford vent as efficient as the SOG? What's the difference between the SOG system and the Thetford vent kit? Is the What are the advantages/disadvantages for either system. Should I be fitting a Thetford vent or a SOG? I'm not interested in messing around with a computer fan and doing a DIY job although I am sure they work fine, I just want to fit the best branded kit. Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have only experienced the SOG. It prevents ANY smells at all leaving the toilet & is as far as I'm concerned a brilliant piece of kit. I wouldn't be without it. I can't find any reference to a Thetford vent kit either on the Thetford site or elsewhere. What exactly is it?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have only experienced the SOG. It prevents ANY smells at all leaving the toilet & is as far as I'm concerned a brilliant piece of kit. I wouldn't be without it. I can't find any reference to a Thetford vent kit either on the Thetford site or elsewhere. What exactly is it?
Thanks Tony: It supposedly vents via a fan like a SOG and part of the kit is already fitted to a C-250S cassette. I know SOG are good as per loads of posts but need to hear about the Thetford kit. In theory the Thetford should be an easier fit as the toilet is already set up for it.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
On our double floor Rapido, the SOG vent is through the roof and is extracted from the cassette through the cassette spout end cap.
I did fit a Thetford retro kit to our Bessacarr, yes the vent in the cassette is already fitted, the fan and the replacement flush push button are quite easily fitted, the difficult part is cutting the exhaust vent hole and fitting the plastic extraction funnel under the cassette holder as shown in pictures 9, 10 and 11 of the instructions here.
The extractor funnel hole is larger than the hole in the base of the cassette holder (9), so the complete cassette holder / base needs to be removed to access the floor for drilling and fitting the funnel(11), also you will would need to fit an exhaust tube to the funnel to extend it through the lower floor.
When fitted the SOG was effective, however the replacement filters are quite expensive, but can be substituted by an alternative form of active charcoal.
It all depends how easy it is to remove the complete cassette holder, and also check that there is no large gap between the base of the cassette and the wooden floor, this gap would need to sealed to prevent extraction into the area between the floors.
If the above proves difficult I would consider the alternative door unit or the roof vent.
Cheers

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Mine is already fitted to my c250 cassette and works very well, I have fitted a second fan downstream of the first one triggered by a PIR as you open the loo door,
I haven't had a SOG so cannot make a comparison but as they work in exactly the same way I would assume very similar in efficiency,
The main advantage of the thetford is the cassette just pulls from it locker with nothing too remove or plug,
Just pull it and and walk to the dump site using the built in wheels on the cassette,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On our double floor Rapido, the SOG vent is through the roof and is extracted from the cassette through the cassette spout end cap.
I did fit a Thetford retro kit to our Bessacarr, yes the vent in the cassette is already fitted, the fan and the replacement flush push button are quite easily fitted, the difficult part is cutting the exhaust vent hole and fitting the plastic extraction funnel under the cassette holder as shown in pictures 9, 10 and 11 of the instructions here.
The extractor funnel hole is larger than the hole in the base of the cassette holder (9), so the complete cassette holder / base needs to be removed to access the floor for drilling and fitting the funnel(11), also you will would need to fit an exhaust tube to the funnel to extend it through the lower floor.
When fitted the SOG was effective, however the replacement filters are quite expensive, but can be substituted by an alternative form of active charcoal.
It all depends how easy it is to remove the complete cassette holder, and also check that there is no large gap between the base of the cassette and the wooden floor, this gap would need to sealed to prevent extraction into the area between the floors.
If the above proves difficult I would consider the alternative door unit or the roof vent.
Cheers
Hey that's a lot of good information thank you. Sounds like you are a SOG convert I will probably end up going that way myself although venting through the roof sounds more difficult than taking out the base of the Thetford. Thanks again

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mine is already fitted to my c250 cassette and works very well, I have fitted a second fan downstream of the first one triggered by a PIR as you open the loo door,
I haven't had a SOG so cannot make a comparison but as they work in exactly the same way I would assume very similar in efficiency,
The main advantage of the thetford is the cassette just pulls from it locker with nothing too remove or plug,
Just pull it and and walk to the dump site using the built in wheels on the cassette,
Thanks for the info: You have obviously fitted a second fan for a reason is it because you were getting a few unpleasant smells?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
Thanks for the info: You have obviously fitted a second fan for a reason is it because you were getting a few unpleasant smells?

No not at all, with the thetford system you press the control button first to start the fan, then the second push to flush the water,
With the PIR I fitted it automatically puts the fan on as you open the loo door, then you can operate the cassette slide and second fan manually, it works for me,

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No not at all, with the thetford system you press the control button first to start the fan, then the second push to flush the water,
With the PIR I fitted it automatically puts the fan on as you open the loo door, then you can operate the cassette slide and second fan manually, it works for me,
Understood, Cheers

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
We have the Thetford model and changed it slightly. We now just have a simple on/off switch so it only comes on when you want it. Also, the Thetford filter is mega expensive for what it is so, we tried without a filter. Guess what - works better and still no smells anywhere!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As Ivorandtony says with the Thetford the fan only works when you turn the fan on this is because SOG have a patent on the fan switching on with the flap opening.
I have C400 with a floor vented SOG it uses a canister filter, much more effective than the door mounted one.
If you go for a roof vent the standard fit is without a filter, not a good idea as with a rooflight open and wind in the right direction you can get the full benefit inside the van.:LOL:

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We have the Thetford model and changed it slightly. We now just have a simple on/off switch so it only comes on when you want it. Also, the Thetford filter is mega expensive for what it is so, we tried without a filter. Guess what - works better and still no smells anywhere!!!
Thanks for the input although I have to say the smell without the filter will be going somewhere!!

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As Ivorandtony says with the Thetford the fan only works when you turn the fan on this is because SOG have a patent on the fan switching on with the flap opening.
I have C400 with a floor vented SOG it uses a canister filter, much more effective than the door mounted one.
If you go for a roof vent the standard fit is without a filter, not a good idea as with a rooflight open and wind in the right direction you can get the full benefit inside the van.:LOL:
Thanks Lenny

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Thanks for the input although I have to say the smell without the filter will be going somewhere!!
Well, we have 'sniffed' all around the inside and the outside of the 'van and cannot smell anything. It's got to be worth trying due to the cost of the filter - if it doesn't work, just put the filter back in. Thetford say the filter only lasts a couple of months so I wonder how many
aren't working a people don't realise it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back