Carthago (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thinking of changing our swift kontiki 669 for a tag axle carthago c line any thoghts good or bad would be wellcome

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm looking at the lightweight i 138. As others have said they are in a different league!lol

rapido convert

Free Member
Feb 26, 2015
knutsford cheshire
Funster No
MH
A class rapido 996m
Exp
since 07
It was a very close decision when i renewed our bus, cathargo tag or rapido top liner, the rapido won only because my drive was 50cm to short to park it and open the garage door.
Cathago are a very very good make in all aspects and beat any kontiki into a cocked hat on every level.
Why are you on the fence?.
Cheers
Andy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I very rarely get motorhome envy but every time I park near I Carthago I want to go admire it....

Well built and stylish, have generally found the owners to be quite personable too.

If you've got the chance to own one, grab it - what's the worst that can happen ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Friends of ours picked one up (new) and trotted off to Spain only to find that one of the shower tray drains had not been connected or had fallen off, then the had door would not open luckily they had drivers door, then something else happened but I cant remember. Some are built in Germany some are built in Slovenia.

Nice vans though.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Ive spoken to two separate Carthago owners, a Belgian and a German who both had had lots of teething problems with their new vans. The German chap said his van had been back to the dealership over 30 times and he still had issues which hadn't been resolved to his satisfaction.

The Belgian chap also had many problems, but his hab door was letting in the rain. They changed the seal several times at a cost of €280 to Carthago each time, despite him telling the dealer that he thought the door was twisted. Needless to say he got shut of the Carthago and bought a N+B Flair and he said there was no comparison between the two - they couldn't praise the N+B factory enough. yes they bought theirs direct from N+B.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm looking at the lightweight i 138. As others have said they are in a different league!lol

tried a forum search last night and it came up with two members who have carthago i138 the model we are interested in (this forum so good :))

@philk and @somertonion .

both have been good enough to reply to me and give me information on weight etc.....just what I needed :)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Its a no brained. We purchased a Carthorpe CTourer last October after 12 previous vans mainly British. The Carthago is totally in a different league with the British manufacturers still learning how to build motor homes. In Spain at the moment and the fridge has packed up on gas but don't trust the spanish to fix a fuse so will manage until we get home. If you are definitely yearning for a Carthago then go for it and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I agreed a deal over the phone on a brand new Chic e-line l 51 linerclass and arranged to meet the dealer and see the van at the NEC in February.

We had looked at the used one at Southdowns at £89,995 but it was RHD and Manual gearbox which didn't really suit us but loved the layout and the build quality.

We were all but there when we had another look at the Frankia and fell in love with the PlatinPlus 8400 which just suited us a little better but the build quality of both is superb.... Go for it

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Carthago great motor home(y)
what N+B are you having and from where?
Brian & Jo

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You need to keep the option list short on lightweights otherwise they ain't lightweight anymore.

Thanks...I'm obsessive re van weight, diabetes does this to you:) the devils is in the detail for sure. Its a lot of money (for us) so need to get it right...

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Its a no brained. We purchased a Carthorpe CTourer last October after 12 previous vans mainly British. The Carthago is totally in a different league with the British manufacturers still learning how to build motor homes. In Spain at the moment and the fridge has packed up on gas but don't trust the spanish to fix a fuse so will manage until we get home. If you are definitely yearning for a Carthago then go for it and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Unless you want the fridge to work on gas.............:whistle:

Last edited:

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks...I'm obsessive re van weight, diabetes does this to you:) the devils is in the detail for sure. Its a lot of money (for us) so need to get it right...

Joined german Carthago forum yesterday and have had some more useful info...I think the i138 will work @ 3500 ( you will be surprised how many dont!)

OP
OP
Mart grump
Apr 26, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
thankyou all for your comments as allways .you all seem to confirm our thoughts on the carthago.Can anyone tell me why a combi oven is not included only seem to have the choice of oven or no oven we would rather have a microwave this dose not seem to be an option

ciderdaze

Free Member
Apr 10, 2012
exmouth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
20 years
We went for the oven and it works fine in fact we would rather that than the microwave,

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
As you look at the draws on a small Carthago kitchen, you will lose the bottom two on the right to an oven. They are fitted by UK dealers no factory and do not go above a techpack fridge. Our dealser then put a door under the oven to rescue some storage and it works well. The pan draw is well thought out

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Ovens seem to be an English thing, but not sure why?
Perhaps the Europeans just drive to where the sun is and eat ice creams lol

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ovens seem to be an English thing, but not sure why?
Perhaps the Europeans just drive to where the sun is and eat ice creams lol

we folow the sun and in 30 + deg heat who wants to use an oven. Have managed 25 years without one and don't see the need to replicate the house kitchen....if I want a roast chicken I will go and buy a succulent rotisserie one from a shop. rather have the storage to be honest...ovens are a British oddity:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back