Get To Calais Then Chose Turn Right Or Left (or Both) (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have to hope it is not only us who do such daft things, maybe we are among the few stupid enough to announce it to the whole forum

April 25th we see our eldest daughter marry, the 26th chunnel is booked for a 14 night get away to unwind, the only fixed bit of the trip is Twin Lakes for three nights

So technically the choice is already made, we obviously will need to turn right and head south, we could maybe head inland then turn right, or we could involve Bev in the route planning

I would love to go back to Holland to see the bulb fields, is there any chance we go there on the way to Twin Lakes?? Bev says

Now you can chose who is daftest, Bev for the suggestion, or me for agreeing

So we are going to come off the tunnel on our way south and turn left, head north for 250 miles, admire the bulbs, which I must say are something everybody should go to see, then head back south again, probably past Calais where we will re-enact the arrival and effectively turn right this time

We will be three days in and four nights down and have gone nowhere

It is a while until we leave, but I will keep you posted on this thread for anybody wanted to be reminded how not to do it :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi David

If you had played your cards right you could have got another trip out of the bulb fields thingy, there again thinking about it, leave it too late and it would just be fields.

We went to Gouda last year, nice little town, but a bit cheesy, really nice but joking about the cheesy. We happened to coincide with monuments open weekend which meant all the museums, town hall and a working windmill were all open and free, the windmill was milling flour and we got some and Jen made bread it was lovely, the windmill was very Heath Robinson with wooden cogs and pegs and bits of string all over.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi David is this any better ... Found in answer to a question on trip adviser.

2. Re: Tulips Field in Spring
22 February 2014, 14:24

It seems that there are large tulip fields in Spring near La Torche in Brittany:

It's not at all where you are planning to be but here is the tourist information for La Torche in case you are interested:

Broken Link Removed

Edited: 22 February 2014, 14:25

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David is this any better ... Found in answer to a question on trip adviser.

2. Re: Tulips Field in Spring
22 February 2014, 14:24

It seems that there are large tulip fields in Spring near La Torche in Brittany:

It's not at all where you are planning to be but here is the tourist information for La Torche in case you are interested:

Broken Link Removed

Edited: 22 February 2014, 14:25

Thanks Jan

I am a wiser person again thanks to the forum, I had no idea they grew so many tulips in France, just checked on the map though, it is so far out it is not a lot closer than Holland

We did Holland in 2005, it is a real sight, tulips and hyacinths, acres of them, grown for bulbs, so the flowers are left to open, all in neat coloured rows

It would be a brave man to suggest this option instead, maybe next time (y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I did wonder if it would actually save you any miles, never mind at least its only 1 trip across the channel or under it. Have a great holiday love to Bev.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So more than a week into full planning, I was going to say we are still on Plan A, but forgot we have already added Holland to the route, but we have stuck with that, so still on Plan B

Very good going for us, so 4 weeks today we will be just arriving in France now, hopefully sat on an aire with a glass of wine (y)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Turn right - around Rouen and 154 down to A20 to Limoges and THEN decide left or right. :)

But on the other hand you could..............................

(I'm really just practicing for my next trip)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Today is the day I have a chat with the contents of our garage, need to lose about 200kg just to get legal, we carry far too much anyway, so not a bad exercise

I have just counted 5 chairs, seen the spare calor cylinders removed at Chester when we (Techno Andy) fitted our Gaslow system, the Kampa awning, even leaving 2 chairs in, I have possibly already saved most of the 200kg

We set off in the morning for our eldest daughters wedding on Saturday, the hotel (wedding venue) have agreed to us parking MH in car park as dogs not allowed inside hotel, then on Sunday we go to the chunnel :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have you decided where you're going when you drive out the other side of the tunnel?

Yes, more or less and it is about as bonkers as first thought.

Overnight somewhere near Calais, then up to Gouda (Holland) to overnight before driving through bulb fields on Tuesday, overnight either Gouda again, or if I get my way back in France again on way down, eventually, to Twin Lakes for a few nights.

A lot to cram in to 2 weeks, but I am working on Bev to retire so soon we can remove the time constraints :)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My apologies for delayed postings, best possible excuse, day 1 of our travels was down to Coventry for the wedding of our eldest daughter, stayed in hotel car park on Friday night (wedding venue) got up Saturday morning ready for a 12 o'clock wedding, decided my speech needed work, then the more I thought the worse it all seemed and at 09:00 I ripped it up and started again, stress or what

Anyway, more or less sorted, my best man from our wedding (34 years ago) still a massive family friend, popped his nose into MH at about 11:00, had a quick chat and agreed to see him in bar at 11:30. large G + T helped but didnt last long, second one had more effect, I was more or less ready to take Natalie down the stairs to the ceremony

I know I am going to be biased but she is gorgeous, we had an amazing day, the meal was not till 3, I had had a few more drinks by then and I think my bit went OK anyway, the best men really went to town and nobody will remember mine anyway after theirs

A really great day was had

NAt and Gary with car.jpg

So on Sunday we set off for the channel tunnel

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi D & B you are on holiday so it matters not which way you go ;)Enjoy :DGlad the wedding went without a hitch:)or at least your part;)
terry

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So on Sunday we did the dreaded drive down round London to Folkestone, if wasn't for the lure of the destination we wouldn't bother

Off tunnel, eventually, some poor sod had to be towed off (been there ourselves, its horrible anyway and so embarrassing)

Turned left (as planned!!) headed to Dunkirk deciding to get as far towards Holland as I could, found an aire in the book (actually on Bevs ipad so on an app)

Great location, place called Malo - les - bains, Rue de la Licorne, right beside dunes / beach, but no facilities at all, no tap, no dump, OK for us as we had arrived full of clean and empty (ish) loo, but could be bad for those that were expecting a drop off.

But free though, so not bad, and we woke to sunshine

IMG_0469.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
true to form, we get up this morning, close to the border with Belgium, ready for the dash north to Holland, Bev decides it would be nice to have a French Hypermarket shop to get us started, so having headed as far up as I could get the day before, we now set off south again following signs for channel tunnel!! about 7 miles down we find a very acceptable Auchan, so not really that far and much nearer than it might have been :D

shop, then head north again

Belgium is just so boring, to be honest Holland is pretty much the same, but got to Gouda just under 200 mile journey, head to an aire we had seen mentioned, thank you @funflair (Martin and Jenny) good looking place

however, we arrived on the Kings public holiday, nobody told me, place is full to bursting, there are around 30 pitches, set out in part of a standard carpark with markings implying cars are allowed in same places. It is chaos, there must be 60 motorhomes here, spread all over

So we park up next to about 6 others on the back of the car park, seemingly well out of the way with our rear over hanging (totally blocking) a path to nowhere, so this will do. But a resident comes out and photographs our front and side, says nothing and goes back into his house

So now Bev says we have got to move, OK so where, we are not huge, but 8m takes some squeezing in, luckily as we look around a car moves off what is one of the official MH places, so I am despatched to move as quickly as I can :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL: to go and get MH and move it

IMG_0474.JPG
IMG_0475.JPG

all went well, moved OK, Bev happy, we have been into Gouda, a lovely little town, sat in a crowded (nicely) town square and had pizza and beer

just back to MH had a bottle of our favourite sparkling wine, life is good

and the car park was on free vend, result, and we can get free wifi from library via our iBoost, :):):):)

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So the plan comes together, eventually, glad that you like Gouda, sorry forgot to mention the Kings public holiday.

Looks busy.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
If I read this correctly David has a preference that is different to the plan that Bev has already chosen.

This is actually an intellectual challenge for David. He needs to devote his energies to the art of persuasion. He does not know how to achieve his objective at this stage but he has the opportunity to ponder and find attractive compromises. It's called "thinking".

Bev will consider alternatives more readily if she feels that she has complete veto powers over options that are not appealing. A logical argument based on cost, hours and efficiency seems to have already been dismissed. David needs to take this on board; not be defeated but to merely recognise his challenge. A rerun of the cost argument will hamper any real chance of an amicable compromise.

If David succeeds in persuading Bev to accept options that are proposed then David will have demonstrated his intellectual competence. If he settles for keeping Bev content he will have demonstrated his desire for a conflict free and happy life.

I encourage David to avoid an immediate response, I want him to think and to keep thinking. We all have the ability to persuade if we "think".

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So the plan comes together, eventually, glad that you like Gouda, sorry forgot to mention the Kings public holiday.

Looks busy.

When we were there the French travelling type with caravans arrived about midnight, the police turned up at 9am and they were gone by 11 no arguments.

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
Hi
If you are going to Gouda and you like cheese I suggest this place.
Reypenaer Historic Warehouse,
Utrechtsestraatweg 19
3445 AL Woerden
Netherlands.

It's about 20 mins East of Gouda on the A12. You will never taste 'vintage' Gouda cheese like this. Get the guided tour by Ivan if available. We arrived on motorbikes like drowned rats in the pouring rain. As there was only 4 of us they said, when I booked on the phone a few weeks before, that we could only have a look around but tasting is for larger groups. But, we were the only ones there and Ivan showed us around the whole factory and then showed us the shop. Without asking he brought out some cheese because we were getting on so well with him and then he brought out wine and Port and there was a great danger of it turning into an impromptu session.
Unfortunately we had to travel to Bruges so had to go but it was a fantastic visit.
It's difficult to get Reypenaer in the UK so take the opportunity to try some when local.
Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Nik.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We use the Malo les Bains aire a lot, you pics are giving me itchy feet.
There is actually a nice little Carrefour with fuel the other side of that tower block.
Got a 2 for 1 deal on boxes of JP Chenet there last time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi
If you are going to Gouda and you like cheese I suggest this place.
Reypenaer Historic Warehouse,
Utrechtsestraatweg 19
3445 AL Woerden
Netherlands.

Nik.

Many thanks, address now programmed into Tom tom ready for tomorrow, looks to be en route to bulb fields as well, double result (y)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If I read this correctly David has a preference that is different to the plan that Bev has already chosen.

This is actually an intellectual challenge for David. He needs to devote his energies to the art of persuasion. He does not know how to achieve his objective at this stage but he has the opportunity to ponder and find attractive compromises. It's called "thinking".

Bev will consider alternatives more readily if she feels that she has complete veto powers over options that are not appealing. A logical argument based on cost, hours and efficiency seems to have already been dismissed. David needs to take this on board; not be defeated but to merely recognise his challenge. A rerun of the cost argument will hamper any real chance of an amicable compromise.

If David succeeds in persuading Bev to accept options that are proposed then David will have demonstrated his intellectual competence. If he settles for keeping Bev content he will have demonstrated his desire for a conflict free and happy life.

I encourage David to avoid an immediate response, I want him to think and to keep thinking. We all have the ability to persuade if we "think".

I would like to introduce you to my husband.(y)

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004

Sounds like you were a teacher in earlier times! Reads just like a school report!

Denise

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Not so Denise, I worked in career guidance people. My challenge was to help people with big fat redundancy cheques. If they did wise things they got a new job quickly and kept the cash; if they were obstinate they spent the cheque on living expenses until they wised up. Very satisfying experience to debate options and either prevail or learn wisdon.

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm not sure about this, I suspect that David is just happy to be on the road again. After all what could be better than going on a 400 mile, 5 day detour, on exciting roads with beautiful landscapes, thinking about flowers and cheese whilst rocking out to Andre Rieu or Plastic Bertrand. It's a win-win, the only downside will be all the beer :D

Just in case you've forgotten or missed out

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'll be sure to have clean underwear.

I am often confused about whether the posters are men or women! I thought Dippingatoe was a man for quite a while !
I was thinking one man to another, might help him to concede however if you are a women I wouldn't bother with the training I have tried for years to no avail ..... but he does like nice undies so who knows!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back