Beware Passport Thieves In Benidorm (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
A couple currently staying on our camperstop had their motorhome broken into on Sunday and their passports were stolen. They went to Benidorm market on Sunday morning and parked up in a large car park just around the corner from the market. Their alarm was set and there were lots of people about. After visiting the market they got back to find their door lock damaged and a window had been forced. The window blind was destroyed where someone had climbed in and they lost several items including their passports. Apparently when they target you it is believed someone follows you and reports back to an accomplice when you are far enough away not to hear the alarm and then they break in with out any apparent concern that it's broad daylight. The poor couple have to drive to Alicante today to the British Embassy.
We just need to be aware when parking up in Spain in daylight and going off somewhere that we may be being targeted. I personally have some pretty good hiding places as well as a strong safe that would slow them down. Although it isn't necessarily the best idea to keep all your valuables in the safe!!

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
It's going to be even hotter next week so bring your factor 30 (y)
Might bump into you at some point, where are you going to be staying?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
when do you leave beni ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A useful heads up, but surely could apply to anywhere, UK included,

yes, but some places are a much higher risk than others, the Spanish Costas are well known for thefts from tourists and break-ins to motorhomes.
for example.. where you were in Scotland recently, I'd park and and never worry... but wouldn't do so on the Med coast.

We lost a bike while standing beside it outside a Lidl in Spain !! .. thief grabbed it and cycled off.. in broad daylight.. barstewards :mad:

Even when shopping at a large supermarket we don't leave the van unattended.. always one of us stay with it..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
We are staying at the camperpark Costa Blanca near Alfaz del Pi, will be here until 14th May and then moving further south to El Campello.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What ever made them take their motorhome to a market? The main places in Spain where pickpockets and thieves are rife is at markets.

Agree.....nativity I guess, second mistake leaving passports in van. Fit a safe, if not carry them with you. Campers are gifts to thieves full of goodies....next time bet they get the bus:(

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One thing is for sure, the thieves would not have been in there for long, probably less than a minute, they'll check the glove box area and scoop out most every locker Well hidden items may well go undiscovered. This is especially so if you fit a very loud internal siren. These really do ensure that the thief does not stay long inside your vehicle.

Antonio

Free Member
Aug 8, 2013
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 660s
Exp
6 months
It's strange that in Andalucia all the houses have rejas (bars) on all the windows. I used to live there and I never really understood why. They just seem to be part of the decor and blend in. A house there would not look the same without them. I suppose it is historical and is now the norm on new build.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Am not sure alarms are good or bad. At the show weekend an alarm went off for a while and nobody batted an eye lid , not one person moved to look. I think it's like reversing bleepers on mobile plant etc , there is so many we tune them out and ignore them.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Am not sure alarms are good or bad. At the show weekend an alarm went off for a while and nobody batted an eye lid , not one person moved to look. I think it's like reversing bleepers on mobile plant etc , there is so many we tune them out and ignore them.

you haven't heard a Strikeback growler alarm ..

I set mine off by accident, it is a wall of sound that you really can't suffer.. you can an actually feel it when in the van.. it's deafening

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Your right I have not heard the growler, I just wondered in today's world where we do tune out various noises how good alarms are. They go off on holiday homes round here and nobody gives a second thought. I guess part of modern day life, we all keep to ourselves and not get involved.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's strange that in Andalucia all the houses have rejas (bars) on all the windows. I used to live there and I never really understood why. They just seem to be part of the decor and blend in. A house there would not look the same without them. I suppose it is historical and is now the norm on new build.
I'm not entirely sure it was about security of valuables, more about security of daughters! Gerald Brenan's South from Granada describes how in the time he was there, the 1920s, young men would stand outside in the street and talk to their young lady through the bars. That was as close as they got before they were married.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
yes, but some places are a much higher risk than others, the Spanish Costas are well known for thefts from tourists and break-ins to motorhomes.
for example.. where you were in Scotland recently, I'd park and and never worry... but wouldn't do so on the Med coast.

We lost a bike while standing beside it outside a Lidl in Spain !! .. thief grabbed it and cycled off.. in broad daylight.. barstewards :mad:

Even when shopping at a large supermarket we don't leave the van unattended.. always one of us stay with it..

Is it as bad on the french med coast? Suppose we always have to aware but I prefer to chill on holiday! We are looking at going to Perpignan moving round to Cannes.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is it as bad on the french med coast? Suppose we always have to aware but I prefer to chill on holiday! We are looking at going to Perpignan moving round to Cannes.

Please don't worry too much. Literally millions of motorhomes head to Southern Europe summer and winter without incident of any kind. Don't leave anything irreplaceable in the van, don't be hyper vigilant, imagining the worse at all times as you'll not enjoy yourself. Try to maintain a relaxed level of alertness, take comfort from the fact that you've bothered with good van/breakdown and holiday insurance and have fun (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

YES! Western Med France probably even worse

But as Jim said above you just need to engage your brain and take reasonable precautions, park carefully. if supermarket has broken glass on ground, move on, or one stay in van and one shop (that's what we do always anywhere) all about assessing the risk and acting accordingly

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Big big dog! Or booby traps!

image.jpg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Was also so that in the high heat of the summer the windows could be left open at night to allow the cool air to circulate.

You actually want one that is in excess of the pain threshold.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
In the past 10 years we have been robbed of Cash twice, both times from parked cars, both times on campsites, once in Australia, and once in NZ. We have lived on and off in Spain for 17 years, Robbed.....never. Other than a scam from a British couple who started a mobile home park, but we were not the only ones, still waiting a court date for this to be sorted.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
People do let their guard down on holiday..... we've seen cars left unlocked with keys in the ignition - and in one case the engine running, kids in back as Mum nipped into the supermarket!

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
My work hear in spain is in the tourist sector and this is so very common ,Brit reg's are always a target because
it is assumed you have the money . A little tip before heading this way get your self a GSM house alarm , this way if you are have a drink or a meal if anyone enters your motorhome you will receive a text message with in seconds of it happening .

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I'm not entirely sure it was about security of valuables, more about security of daughters! Gerald Brenan's South from Granada describes how in the time he was there, the 1920s, young men would stand outside in the street and talk to their young lady through the bars. That was as close as they got before they were married.
That's as near as I get to the wife now11:whistle:

Reactions: DBK

maxine and jo

Free Member
Sep 16, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1980
I forgot to say if any nice people tell you its ok we will keep an eye on it ,think very very hard before taking up there offer.:coolest:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back