LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dunno if anyone else is having problems but for some time now, every time I turn on the computer I get the pop up saying there are two updates for my TT..

I hook up the unit, log in to the TT site and it starts doing the updates.. Then stops at either 0% or 1% and just sits there

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have.. I have different types and models of GPS for different applications..
Including two motorcycle dedicated units, and 4 car units ( as well as the new Aldi Garmin )
The TT is used in the van in conjunction with the Aldi .. I use the Aldi for the main job but the TT for stuff like finding LPG, sites, diesel etc etc.
Yes, I am well aware I could use just one but I prefer using the two as Woman can play with the TT to find what we are looking for without me having to either stop and reprogram or risk button stabbing whilst on the move

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OMG !! It has done it this time !!!!
Took almost exactly two hours to download and update 64k of data !!!!!!!! :sleep:
Hate to think how long a new map set would take to do (n):eek:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Took almost exactly two hours to download and update 64k of data !!!!!!!! :sleep:
The TT is very fussy about the USB connection used, if you are using a USB hub, it will almost certainly fail.
Also I have found that if I use my netbook connected via WiFi, the updates will take ages, but using a desktop that is on a wired LAN is very reliable.
Just a couple of thoughts for you (y)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nope.. going straight in to the USB socket on the computer.. The hub is only used for printers, cameras and other gadgets

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I recently set up my Garmin for an update, after an overnight download it had done 15% of European maps.
Started from scratch, done in a couple of hours. Then it tells me "can't calculate, insufficient memory" although the SD was nothing like full.
Did another download and still quick but now cured memory problem.
Then driving to Peterborough it tells me that it has lost Satellite reception, WHY? been in same place for 3 years.
Lost satellite reception on way home as well.
Pass the map please......................

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Nope.. going straight in to the USB socket on the computer.. The hub is only used for printers, cameras and other gadgets
Did you leave the hub plugged in? This can cause the USB enumerator to become confused. May be worth disconnecting it next time.
Only other thought is, you aren't using a Acer PC running Windows 7 by any chance are you?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nope.. Whole set up has been the same for a few years now.. I use the same usb port to do firmware updates on all sorts from one of my servers to .. wellll, anything else that needs to be done :)
Not using an Acer.. the way they TRY and use the processor and the serial bus is a bafflement to me.. I sometimes wonder how they work at all !!
I have come to the conclusion the issue is not actually here at all.. I get exactly the same when I try doing it with the lap top .. even on someone else's broadband
Perhaps it is just a case of the TT chucker running out of resources early in the morning

As a by the by, ( and this is from memory so possibly a bit out ) even a USB 1 set up SHOULD be able to handle up to about 120 deviced all at once.. I think the more expensive hubs can be a bit of a pain in the parts as they are set up with very aggressive packet timing to take precedents, but the cheaper ones ( as I use ) are little more than through ports ( it has been a LONG time since I messed with this I.P hardware transfer design so I expect things have changed since 2001 )

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Perhaps it is just a case of the TT chucker running out of resources early in the morning
I hadn't thought about that. I have always wondered whether they use the same server to serve the "live" units and the update requests. The live traffic frequently gets server errors at about 9 in the morning and 5 in the evening, or put another way, exactly when you want it! :D
I don't know anything about hardware, I'm a software man, my understanding is that theoretically yes you can have many devices going through USB. The reality is that the software is so shockingly written that it rarely works to the specifications of the hardware.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I reckon that is almost certainly what it is then.. Same server and or pee poor backbone linking them to the outside world

I tend to do the updates usually when I first turn on the main machine in the morning ..
Next time I will either do it at night or at least mid afternoon and see what happens then

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Mine updated very quickly this morning and we don't have the best WiFi connection in the heart of sleepy Suffolk!
Chris

arao99

Free Member
Feb 3, 2012
west midlands
Funster No
MH
dont own
Exp
May 2012
Sometimes my TT updates within 3 mins other times it has taken 3 hours never know which it might be ,sometimes the TT site says there is a problem at the moment please try again later where later has been two days .:sleep::unsure::)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
About

About 13 flipping hours for a Western Europe map....that includes physical downloading, online chats and many attempts with my eyes shut and fingers crossed. Finally succeeded but now can't put post codes in.........aaaargh.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When I do a TomTom update it downloads quickly - goes to 99% install and then takes about 3 hours to do the final 1%. Really weird.

Joe

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
If I use a usb socket on the front of the pc, i.e. one that's connected by a header to the motherboard then TT is temperamental to say the least. Dropped and slow connections for example.
If I connect it to a usb socket on the back of the pc, i.e. one that's actually part of the motherboard then there are no problems

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Wait until you get a full map update.

My last took over 9 hours to download to PC and 4 hours to upload to the device.

TomTom took a major step backwards with their enforced data format changes.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Fortunately it is about three years old and bought before the maps for life scheme kicked in big time

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
About

. can't put post codes in.........aaaargh.

When I could not get postcodes I called the help desk and they sent me a file. Everything worked fine after that.

For what it is worth some browsers work with TT and some don't.

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Mine also gets down to 0% and stays there for ages no matter how small the update.
Don

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Can't say I've ever had any problems with the download time. It was just the cost, before I got the latest lifetime free updates version.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
When I could not get postcodes I called the help desk and they sent me a file. Everything worked fine after that.

For what it is worth some browsers work with TT and some don't.

Done that too, to be fair it was the first time I had updated the TT and it was the wrong side of 4 years old. It has served us well and I was loathe to buy a new one. We managed in France fine so will carry on regardless for a few more years :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellllll..
It seems I ( and others above who have had difficulties ) must have struck a nerve somewhere..

Did a couple of updates this morning, but before it started 'There is a new version of MyDrive, please download now'

So did the download in less than 30 seconds, stuffed the gps on to the puter, and BOSH !!!
Downloaded and updated in way less than a minute !!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Wellllll.. after yesterdays amazing update times, today I am back to normal !!

Put the thing on to do two updates ( 71k !! ) at about 0600 this morning.

Still waiting.. So far 2k done.. ( time is now 0806 )

On the flip side, I also did a Garmin update this morning.. Couple of meg and the whole process less than a minute

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And Lo !!! It has finished..
So two hours twenty minutes to do a 71k update !!!

Seems the new software is as pee poor as the old stuff.. In fact I really canna see a jot of difference to be honest

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Camper 760 software and map updates (Gb numbers) this morning took me about 90 minutes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back