Fitting external gas point on Rapido 9066DF or similar bodied Rapido A class (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Has anyone fitted or had fitted an external gas point to a 9066DF or similar bodied Rapido i.e. fridge on drivers side and bed over a large garage. I want to have one fitted but the initial motorhome gas fitter I tried to get a quote from said it was a "too hard to do" fit, due primarily to double floor. I can't believe this surely it is just a case of T'ing off a gas pipe somewhere in the vehicle. Ideally I want the point as far to the rear as possible so I don't have to run a theoretically naughty extended rubber gas hose to enable me to BBQ outside the awning. Or is fitting one rocker science? Any help would be welcome any pic's would be even better. Thanks

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We are having a BBQ point fitted to ours when the engineer comes to fit "t'oven".
Having ours fitted on the fridge side, as it's easy to T off from the fridge.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I have a 9090df. I fitted a gas point in the plastic skirt just outside the gas locker and just simply teed into the pipe in the locker on the van side of the isolation valve so when the gas is off the bbq point is isolated as well. Because it's only in the skirt there's no issue with cutting holes in the van. If you want it near the back of the van it depends where your gas locker is and whether you can find a pipe to tee into. The only thing that slightly caught me out was that the fitting on the external point is 8mm and the pipe in the locker I was cutting into is 10mm. It took a few days to get a 10/8/10 tee. It's pretty easy to do, the whole job took about an hour. I don't have pictures of inside the locker but will take one next time I go to the van if you want.

bbqpoint.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have a 985f and mine is in the skirt as well. took the dealer only 30 minutes from start to finish

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
I like nicknic's idea. Looks like that's where ours is off ...

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We are having a BBQ point fitted to ours when the engineer comes to fit "t'oven".
Thanks for the input; where are you having yours fitted?

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have a 9090df. I fitted a gas point in the plastic skirt just outside the gas locker and just simply teed into the pipe in the locker on the van side of the isolation valve so when the gas is off the bbq point is isolated as well. Because it's only in the skirt there's no issue with cutting holes in the van. If you want it near the back of the van it depends where your gas locker is and whether you can find a pipe to tee into. The only thing that slightly caught me out was that the fitting on the external point is 8mm and the pipe in the locker I was cutting into is 10mm. It took a few days to get a 10/8/10 tee. It's pretty easy to do, the whole job took about an hour. I don't have pictures of inside the locker but will take one next time I go to the van if you want.

View attachment 59899
Thanks for your info and the pic's. Isn't the skirt very flimsy my skirt is (on the motorhome I mean)? Locker is exactly like your at the front. Maybe this is the best solution for me. Thanks again

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Thanks for your info and the pic's. Isn't the skirt very flimsy my skirt is (on the motorhome I mean)? Locker is exactly like your at the front. Maybe this is the best solution for me. Thanks again

The skirt might feel flimsy but it's actually fine. Mine also has the Gaslow filler just to the left of the bbq point.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Are you having your point fitted at the rear or near the fridge? If you are having it at the rear could you let me know how long it takes your guy to do the work. Do you have a garage at the rear of your van?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I don't think getting your gas feed from where it connects to the fridge and then going backwards is going to be very viable. You have a locker right under the fridge where you don't want the pipe to be so not sure how you would get the pipe from there to the back of the van.

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015.......
Are you having your point fitted at the rear or near the fridge? If you are having it at the rear could you let me know how long it takes your guy to do the work. Do you have a garage at the rear of your van?

Not a garage as such, more of a big cupboard, and was hoping that the gas pipe came from down low thru the double floor bit, then put the point down low near the fridge vents. If that make sense. But I think I like nicknics idea more .

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I don't think getting your gas feed from where it connects to the fridge and then going backwards is going to be very viable. You have a locker right under the fridge where you don't want the pipe to be so not sure how you would get the pipe from there to the back of the van.
Thanks NickNic you are correct the skirt looks the best place to put it.

OP
OP
goneoff
Aug 19, 2009
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Not a garage as such, more of a big cupboard, and was hoping that the gas pipe came from down low thru the double floor bit, then put the point down low near the fridge vents. If that make sense. But I think I like nicknics idea more .
I agree and thanks again for your input

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back