Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I have recently purchased a set of stainless wheel trims for my dual rear wheeled transit. The wheel trims are flat on the back wheels and not shaped like a dish to follow the wheel shape. The are attached to mounting brackets on the wheel nuts via a bolt.

However I am wondering what to do about pumping/checking tyre pressure, I have the following ideas so far.

1) Unscrew and remove the wheel trim to check or adjust pressure. This would very soon get on my nerves.

2) Buy a Tyre Pal monitoring system and attach to the valves. This will allow me to keep a check on the tyre pressure, but I would still have to unscrew and remove the trims to adjust the pressure. Hence the question how often do you pump up?

3) Buy valve extenders which are long enough to poke through the holes in the wheel trim, however I can't think of a way to secure them and they may fall back through the holes if not secured.

Any other ideas or comments most welcome.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I have twin rear wheels on my RMB with stainless covers.

After deciding that regular checking of the pressures was going to be rather a faff, especially the inside rear wheels, I elected to buy a TyrePal system instead. After nearly a year of using it, I would recommend it to anyone.

Just my view and not 'gospel'.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I have a twin wheel Transit and have fitted valve extenders which are secured with the clips provided. Works for me but then I have yet to track down the wheel covers.
A question that comes to mind is how often to builders and general users ever check the inner tyre pressures as without the extenders it's a right pain in the butt and I am sure well beyond average white van man.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Check tyre pressures and wheel nuts... Someone had to say it. Checking the inner tyre pressure is easy if you have the valves lined up at 12 and 6 of the clock,this way,they often can be accessed through a hole in the outer wheel .
Tea Bag

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Hi.
Check tyre pressures and wheel nuts... Someone had to say it. Checking the inner tyre pressure is easy if you have the valves lined up at 12 and 6 of the clock,this way,they often can be accessed through a hole in the outer wheel .
Tea Bag
We line ours up so both valves are at the same hole.

OP
OP
CJB

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
I am not sure how your dual rear wheels look, but I could never reach one of the valves via a hole in the wheel trim, the distance is much to far.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
on our Dodge Ram the holes in the wheels are too small to get at the valves no matter where they are positioned ---I have tried two sets of extenders and both have given me trouble.
I bought a proper truck pressure gauge but still couldn't get to the valves.----the good thing is that the pressures never fall (unless I get a faulty valve or a rock jammed between the rear duals:confused::cry::()
Having the valve extenders fixed to the wheel trims really works for me--so far
Nigel

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Same as @Sundowners I have valve extenders through the wheel trim, I have tyre-pal flow through monitors fitted between two valve extender pipes.

OP
OP
CJB

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
on our Dodge Ram the holes in the wheels are too small to get at the valves no matter where they are positioned ---I have tried two sets of extenders and both have given me trouble.
I bought a proper truck pressure gauge but still couldn't get to the valves.----the good thing is that the pressures never fall (unless I get a faulty valve or a rock jammed between the rear duals:confused::cry::()
Having the valve extenders fixed to the wheel trims really works for me--so far
Nigel

How do you fix the valve extenders to the wheel trims, I have seen brackets that connect to the wheel itself but nothing for trims.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back