tyrangie1

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all :help: needed .......... does anyone use Avast anti virus I am using AVG but have been told that Avast is a better program for Vista can anyone tell me if they think any different. Thanks in advance Angie :thumb:

sirhandel

Free Member
Nov 28, 2008
Chippenham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi Angie
I use AVGFree - have done for years. Seems to work OK in the background. Can't remember the last time I got a virus. I've read that Avast is also good but my philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I'm running Windows 7 by the way.

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I am also running AVG, but a friend who knows these things told me Avast was much better and free, however on their web site when I went to download it asked for credit card details. I didn't proceed any further.

Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pieterv

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
There is also Avira Antivir, with free and more comprehensive paid versions. I have been using the free one for years and am happy with it. It doesn't seem to slow things down. On the network of the school I work at we have (paid for version) AVG, which can bring things to a crawl at times.

Pieter

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Have you thought about Comodo? Its got an inbuilt firewall, unlike AVG and seems to run faster. I'm also an AVG user with Zone Alarm but prefer Comodo (free).

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I am using Avast now having to remove Norten which I have used forever , but had no end of probs with it on my new puter, a friend set up my Avast which runs along Comodo Firewall and my puter time is running bril.

I have even uninstalled it off my laptop,(norten still 2yrs to expiry) must admit was very sceptical at first.
Hope this helps!
champers

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi Lindy-c

heres a review Link Removed

I run avg along side it with out problems. It certainly as sorted the laptop I am working on now.

Roy

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
I had been using AVG for a few years until they brought out AVG8. This had a few problems to start with which made me look around for something else.

I came across Avast and have bee using it since. World of difference! Doesn't take up anywhere near the space AVG required and does regular scans and updates without you even noticing any speed differences. Installation is free and no need for credit card details? Make sure you download from Avast's own site (avast.com) and select the free software tab.

Thumbs up for Avast from me....

Neil

acdcdave

Deceased RIP
Oct 23, 2008
Funster No
Internet security packages

Hi Angie,

Like most things in life you generally get what you pay for! The free packages are OK if you're very limited in your browsing and have no financial transactions. These days increasingly viruses are not the problem and it's this very clever modern 'Malware' that causes the grief - trojans, worms etc etc. The computer mag reviews seem to give Kaspersky and Norton 360 good reviews as well as a number of others. They have the design capability to match the hackers as the new bugs come out. I used to use Norton on all our machines and it was easy but rather too transparent for me, as an electrical engineer, and they were late to adapt to Vista and XP Pro 64 bit operating systems. 360 seems to have fixed this and now gets good reviews.

I like Kaspersky which you can download for a free months trial prior to purchase and the family seem to like it also. Whatever you do get a proper security package and not just a virus package as the hackers, as ever, have moved on.

Good luck, ACDCDave.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back