Rant - I HATE Calor gas with a vengence! (2 Viewers)

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
The biggest mistake I have ever made in motorhoming life is 'buying' two 6kg calorlite bottles - I just hate the things, well the TOTAL lack of support for them once sold.

Bought two - several weeks later they were recalled, dropped them off for replacement "thanks for bringing them in Mr Trikeman". "Where's the replacements" I respectfully asked - "Oh we haven't got any replacements we have to give you two credit notes". We were going away that week "do I heat the van by setting fire to the credit notes" I asked, but left empty handed, and needless to say lost the week away.

Anyway TWO MONTHS LATER I had a call to collect the replacements,,,,,,, well now one has run out,,,,,,, Can we get a replacement anywhere? - Can we hell.:mad:

I hate Calor, they are absolutely useless and their support is definitely rubbish - "Sorry, there's nothing we can do - we could sell you other bottles". I wouldn't buy anything else from these shylocks.:mad:

Right, breath and go and have a beer.

Don't buy the products, they cannot support the 6kg Calorlites for sure.

Trikeman.:mad:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I hate them too Mr Trikeman.

That's why I LOVE filling my Calorlite bottle here in Portugal myself knowing I am breaking their bloody rules...

They didn't recall my one did they?

(Edit... damn and blast it... mine is re-called)

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I just had our M/H habitation service done today at my local agent, I asked him what was the situation re Calor Lite cylinders, he said he had them in stock, but now the old type iron cylinders were in short supply!

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I don't know how it works where you are but I get my bottles at my local garden centre .I always had the 6 kg standard bottles until one day he found out I had a motorhome and offered me a Gas lite bottle instead no extra charge just straight swap.
On another occasion I went in with my lite bottle to be told they didn't have any left but was offered a normal one.

Vlad

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Why not change to refillable cylinder and stuff Calor!!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The biggest mistake I have ever made in motorhoming life is 'buying' two 6kg calorlite bottles - I just hate the things, well the TOTAL lack of support for them once sold.

Bought two - several weeks later they were recalled, dropped them off for replacement "thanks for bringing them in Mr Trikeman". "Where's the replacements" I respectfully asked - "Oh we haven't got any replacements we have to give you two credit notes". We were going away that week "do I heat the van by setting fire to the credit notes" I asked, but left empty handed, and needless to say lost the week away.

Anyway TWO MONTHS LATER I had a call to collect the replacements,,,,,,, well now one has run out,,,,,,, Can we get a replacement anywhere? - Can we hell.:mad:

I hate Calor, they are absolutely useless and their support is definitely rubbish - "Sorry, there's nothing we can do - we could sell you other bottles". I wouldn't buy anything else from these shylocks.:mad:

Right, breath and go and have a beer.

Don't buy the products, they cannot support the 6kg Calorlites for sure.

Trikeman.:mad:
You should have contacted gasit , cylinders would have been on your step next morning , shove em in , nip down to shell , fill em up , bingo , no more calor

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What did the recall concern ?

Looking on their website and they are being very evasive as to the fault.

Seems odd only 2008 to 2011 bottles are affected....between 4 and 7 years to identify a fault....bollox !

OP
OP
Trikeman

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Most cylinders are refillable!

Calorlite ones are...;)

JJ :cool:

Yes, but I wouldn't like to contribute to removing the South West of England off Google maps - forever....:laughing:
:Eeek:

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
I fill mine when in Portugal Calor lite that is, al6so changed onto oz gas plenty available in the north, When I get home back onto calor store the two oz gas in shed for next trip to Portugal.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Papajohn, here is the link to the recall - it was for all bottles between 2008 and 2011 I think.
http://www.calor.co.uk/recall
Yes, thats where i looked but there is no mention of what the fault is.....very evasive.

When a car brand has a recall its advertised what the fault is and resulting problem/danger.
do calor think we are too thick to understand "may leak", "may crack" or "could be overfilled"

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I noticed the two I had replaced had new valves on, dont know if thats where the fault was.

Eric

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Is there an easy to use alternative to Calorlite propane bottles?

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I was told that it was corrosion of the cylinder itself at the base.

angelaa

Free Member
Jan 13, 2012
Southport
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
We gave up on calor lite. We use Safefill. Bottles cost approx £150 to buy, but then you just fill them up at a garage that sells gas. Ours are fibre glass and you can see how much is in them. So much cheaper, soon pays for itself.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Yes, thats where i looked but there is no mention of what the fault is.....very evasive.

When a car brand has a recall its advertised what the fault is and resulting problem/danger.
do calor think we are too thick to understand "may leak", "may crack" or "could be overfilled"

I understand there was an issue with corrosion, possibly due to contamination with a dissimilar metal.

A certain luxury car manufacturer had a recurring problem with corrosion on aluminium body panels, possibly caused by contamination from machine tools used during manufacture although, it has never been admitted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back