credit cards (1 Viewer)

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Having been a fulltimer now for almost a year and now loving it I have a little worry about my credit and debit card details, namely the address which the card is registered at.
I still say on online and telephone sales that it is still my old home address but having had post go missing from the new owners I dont trust that this is safe, although my post is directed...when the GPO get it right !!
I'de like to just cut em up and not have the worry but they are needed in this day and age to make many purchases, ebay etc.
I dont wish to give a friends address as I wouldnt want to put them in the position of having my debts registered at thier address, and when I try online to change the address to "NFA" it won't register. I deffinately have an abode though not fixed but travelling in a winnebago wont wash !!
What do other people do ????????????????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Having been a fulltimer now for almost a year and now loving it I have a little worry about my credit and debit card details, namely the address which the card is registered at.
I still say on online and telephone sales that it is still my old home address but having had post go missing from the new owners I dont trust that this is safe, although my post is directed...when the GPO get it right !!
I'de like to just cut em up and not have the worry but they are needed in this day and age to make many purchases, ebay etc.
I dont wish to give a friends address as I wouldnt want to put them in the position of having my debts registered at thier address, and when I try online to change the address to "NFA" it won't register. I deffinately have an abode though not fixed but travelling in a winnebago wont wash !!
What do other people do ????????????????

Before going full time I settled them and closed the accounts, you can use a debit card for on line transactions.

I informed my bank that I have no fixed address and gave them a c/o address, I believe this is a legal requirement, I also instructed them not to send any bank statements or written correspondence

When the card was due for renewal this year I phoned them and collected the card from the local branch..

Credit cards are handy, but better if you can survive without .. personally I'm glad I don't have any now.

Hope that helps..

jim

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
ahhh dont talk to me about bank statements, on leaving my old bricks and mortar address I told my bank i was now NFA and wished to pick up my statements both bussiness and current from a branch i was often near 10 months down the line and seven visits to them later, often after a long drive, cycle or walk they still havn't sorted it.
They either go to the wrong branch, go missing, get returned, go to my old address, anything but wait for me to collect, ive spent many hours trying to get it sorted if only I charged them for my time like they charge me for theirs I'de be very rich and not even need cards....
anyway when I can afford it I'll pay the credit card off and just have me bank card.
just worries me about the new dodgy tennants of my old home and my identity.:swear:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
We have never had a credit card and have truthfully never need one. We have a bank card and a debit card, the bank card doubles as a debit card anyway and can be used virtually all over the world. We do have a fairly substantial agreed overdraft facility at the bank but again we have never needed to use it.
Surley you can Insruct your bank not to issue statements. You can get a statement at any atm. Can you use a mailing address like a po box and then have the po box people redirect as instructed.
This one causes problems with health care as has often been talked about on the forum.
I'm not a fulltimer but just throwing in a couple of ideas

Jim
:Smile:

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
Can't you elect to deal online instead of by post? A couple of my credit cards are pushing for me to do this.

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Some self-storage places have mailbox facilities. Sometimes it's a secure mailbox and you have a key and pick your mail up whenever you are passing, but some will forward your mail to you. At a cost of course, maybe a few quid a week. Also a few campsites let regular visitors have mail sent there but it's not very secure, the one I am thinking of is a farm in the Lake District where people's post lies around in the laundry room until collected, you wouldn't want your new credit card sent there.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
The Problem isnt about mail forwarding, there are numerous ways of doing that, small firms association, mailbox.co.uk, etc etc. the problem is they and anyone debiting the cards wants to know the address where the card is registered ????
its not just credit cards but I have had problems with lots of things that I dont want to burden on my friend and his care of address.
For example the tax office said I MUST provide an address, I gave my friends stating it was a CARE OFF ADDRESS now he is being investigated about his benefits as they think he is "co-habiting".:Angry:

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Can't you elect to deal online instead of by post? A couple of my credit cards are pushing for me to do this.

I do all my financial dealings online paying bills , banking and such but they still insist on an address.

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
As long as you give the same address for online and telephone transactions as the card issuer has on their records, I don't see why it would be a problem. I used to rent office space and I had my bank statements sent there so that was the address I gave for transactions, the fact that it was xxxx Business Innovation Centre rather than a residential address didn't seem to matter. Having said that I know banks and credit cards are tightening up on addresses, I think it might be to do with new money laundering regulations, I applied to open a new bank account and was turned down and I think it was because I am not on the electoral role at the address I use.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
After a lengthy telephone conversation in this instance with capitol one, dont you just hate dialing freephone numbers from a mobile...THE COST ! ond trying to make a dumbwit understand that my home is mobile and having succesfully updated my online address to NFA, not appliccable, i was advised that when asked for my address I should state this and all should be OK...they are happy with this :Eeek:
.now, what can I buy to try this, I cant wait for the seller to get his head round that one.

OP
OP
N

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Ahhhhh , what a bummer, just tried to make a donation to comic relief and when asked where the card was registered at it wouldn't go through without a valid post code ??????????
I think I'll just donate in cash, pay off me balance, live on fresh air for a week and cut the thing up.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
have you considered a renting a P O Box:Smile::Smile::Smile:would that help

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
If you lent money to someone wouldn't you want to have an address to find then at some later stage if they failed to pay up?

Dealing with people "of no fixed abode" must present some serious problems to some organisations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back