Somport Tunnel - anyone been through lately? (1 Viewer)

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
We're heading north again and planning to go through the Somport Tunnel on Thursday this week. Have to get to Toulouse in a couple of weeks to visit a certain French member :LOL:

Has anyone been through lately? Wondering about snow - we don't like being cold :(

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I will never again be able to hear about the Somport Tunnel without thinking about @Terry and his trip back from Benidorm

then you mention not liking the cold, set me off again, sorry to laugh about your troubles Terry, but it was my best read of the year

Sorry not to answer your question Marie, but thank you for the reminder about the area, we did the pass last October with no problems, so I would reckon the tunnel should be OK

safe travels (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I'm looking at it as a potential toll free way of getting from Spain to twin lakes? Not sure though....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Thanks David that looks fine to me! Will be happy to travel that route. Won't stop till we get away from the snow line though ;)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
cant find the Somport tunnel on my garmin :(...is it called something different from Spanish end? or does anyone have Garmin coordinates plse....

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
We have been Somport route many times during mid winter and never had any problems. If there is snow about they will have snow ploughs working. Remember this is a main trucking route so has to be open. We came through last March and it was closed for work so had to go up over the col. Very nice overnight spot at top on left first massive lay by.

Sep 9, 2011
Worcester
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Went over the next mountain from Pau with trailer and car on the back no problem ment to go through the tunnel
but satnav over ruled me but normally go through the tunnel you need to go to Jaco on the 330 john

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Last week of March last year... We went over the top for a change !!!! Roads were clear, just idiot car drivers....
image.jpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
6 foot drifts reminds me of Sweden...love it :)

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We drove through 17th march this year, No snow spanish side, and roads clear on French side although there was snow on road side where it had been cleared, No problems then up to pau and beyond,

Eric

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
can some suggest nice place to stop either side please....basic Aire will do :)

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
can some suggest nice place to stop enoticedr side please....basic Aire will do :)
A couple of miles after Jaca on the 330, there's a village called Castiello de jaca, I noticed a sign for an Aire, did, nt check it out but it is a pleasant village sure it would be ok for an overnight stop.

Eric

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Oleron st Marie on the French side has an aire.. It's in the book...
Short walk to town.
Never stayed on Spanish side as we always start / stop at Zarragosa..

At Jaca there is an Eroski supermarket up on a hill by the main rd. We often stop for fuel and know trucks do stay there overnight.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'm looking at it as a potential toll free way of getting from Spain to twin lakes? Not sure though....

Lovely route.

We have been Somport route many times during mid winter and never had any problems. If there is snow about they will have snow ploughs working. Remember this is a main trucking route so has to be open. We came through last March and it was closed for work so had to go up over the col. Very nice overnight spot at top on left first massive lay by.
That the one opposite the derelict French border hut ? If so I met the wandering cow/bull there.

Broken Link Removed

can some suggest nice place to stop either side please....basic Aire will do :)
On Spanish side not too sure , apart from on the old road over top as above .lol Actually exiting tunnel on french side there is a big parking area immediately on right where the road from col meets the tunnel road. Also farther down there are 2 or 3 picnic areas of road on the other side by the river that are excellent. You 'll get the occasional artic in them.

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
Have a look at my you tube page there is a vid going over the top at somport plus the aire at the top.
Also Zarragoza truck stop aire. And one of Urdos aire just before the tunnel on the main road,a bit small and a bit on the slant like everything in this area.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have a look at my you tube page there is a vid going over the top at somport plus the aire at the top.
Also Zarragoza truck stop aire. And one of Urdos aire just before the tunnel on the main road,a bit small and a bit on the slant like everything in this area.

I would love to but site internet poor:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes I did. Saw the date as well .I came over from Spain late afternoon of the 3rd July & was surprised at the mount of buildings at the border crossing on your video!!
The fog was that thick you could barely see 6' in front & the only thing that was discernible was the old derelict building , on the right in your video.Never even the slightest glimpse of the other buildings. I pulled over where you O/nighted & guessed it was possibly some sort of parking but as I say the fog didn't allow any idea of what. Could even have been a sheer drop into an abyss!! I had to wait until nearly halfway down before it cleared slightly & stopped at the parking area where you turned up at the bottom.
I can understand why so many people drive through the walls shown on your video !

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
Its a mini 0801 by eprance
Go to techmoan s you tube chanel he has done a vid on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back