Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi folks, just got back from our first trip in our MH, thoroughly enjoyed it, which was a big relief after buying without trying. Van was great overall just a couple of things, water gauge not working, TV aerial doesn't seem as good as we were led to believe but very happy but was wondering about our sink emptying slowly or do they all take a long time, shower drained ok, is it because of the distance from sink to tank?

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Expect it to be slower than home, smaller bore pipework. Could be partially blocked if older van.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
water gauges are notorious for not working, get a plunger and give the sink a good seeing to. Assuming of course it is not a new van, if a new van check pipework/hose is not squashed someplace. From the sound of it you have a status TV antenna if so enough said. Wire coathanger will give a better picture.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Expect it to be slower than home, smaller bore pipework. Could be partially blocked if older van.
It's very slow old soldier and it's a new van, it's going back for a couple of minor things I'm going to mention it to them but I don't know what's normal and they could say it's ok when it's not if you see what I men

Upvote 0

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
......was wondering about our sink emptying slowly or do they all take a long time, shower drained ok, is it because of the distance from sink to tank?

Empty a couple of large bottles of cheap coke down the drain and leave overnight - works wonders!!

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am forever plunging the kitchen sink, but then it does get a lot of fatty stuff going down it. The plunger now lives in the camper for this very reason.

Our cycle seems to be: Plunge sink with very hot water. Runs fine for three or four days, repeat ad infinitum!

Edit - remove stupid spelling error

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The coke trick, which doesn't work in my experience, is for vehicles with smelly waste tanks. If you have a NEW vehicle this shouldn't be necessary.

Our sink slows down draining when the waste tank is getting full. When the waste tank is empty the sink drains very quickly, with a whirlpool and a gurgle to finish. If your sink is slow draining with an empty waste tank then suspect a kinked pipe somewhere, as suggested above.

You can also get slow draining happening earlier, before the waste tank is full if the MH is seriously not level.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Got to be ordinary, Diet would slide through without touching the sides...:giggler:

LOL

Normally - the cheaper the better - Lidl used to sell their own brand for about 19p or something daft - dunno how much it is now but anyway - it does the same job as the pukka expensive branded stuff.

But surely - this is only a 'cure' when the sink and hence the pipework has been in use for a while and may have got gunged up with grease, soap and detritus out of the washing and washing-up water? If it's a new van - yes it will take longer than the sink at home and we have always found in caravans, motorhomes and trailer tents - it's always the last half inch in the sink that takes VERY long - with a sink or bowlful of water, at first it seems to drain relatively quickly. You don't get the same swirling next to the plughole or the satisfying 'gurgle/belch' you get at home!

If yours is terribly slow even with a sinkful - then either the pipe is blocked with something else (eg an errant screw that found its way down there during the build or something like that) - or the pipe is squashed somewhere as has been said - so DO ask the dealer to check it for you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kevingrc

Kevingrc

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Majestic 155
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks folks I tried to trace the pipe but it's very well hidden on the inside I will see if I get any joy from the dealer and will get back to you.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you have an an Elddis van I think the problem is inherent with poor routing of the plumbing. Seen a few reports of waste draining slow on Elddis vans.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Empty a couple of large bottles of cheap coke down the drain and leave overnight - works wonders!!
Why.....its a new van and unless a frying pan full of grease and fat has been emptied down it a few times it wont be blocked.

Small bore pipework and probably poorly routed will most likely be the problem.

Upvote 0
Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
We had that problem a few weeks ago & used Buster PlugHole Un-blocker to good effect. BUT, although grey waste said 1/2 full, in fact, it was full to the brim. After emptying the grey waste got that satisfying gurgle as the water in sink disappeared quickly! Small thing but very annoying!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back