MOT in Dover coming back from the continent. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had my MOT done today at Husks at Lydden Hill in the A2 coming up from the Docks at Dover. They have a big test bay that can take most Class 4 vans, although they do not think some satellite dishes will fit in on high vans. The big advantage they have is that you can book online and get the test done at the first place you come to if you are coming back without a test certificate ( naughty) As they are literally on the left of the A2 at the first set of lights coming out of Dover.
My test was carried out thoroughly and promptly so they are well worthwhile going to.
The email address is sales@huskuk.co.uk

Might save you some grief if it is out of MOT

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Non endorsable offence, fine only, doesn't invalidate your insurance,but will probably mean you only have 3rd party cover, which is still legal.

As the previous poster suggests, loads do it.

Its about time we had a European test

Neil

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
In the event of a claim the insurance co. will want to know if a valid test certificate exits. If no MOT, it would be impossible to contest their reduced settlement offer.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Not if you get one when you get one at the first possible station and have prebooked. Doesn't say that you must have a test done in a particular station only the first suitable one.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the event of a claim the insurance co. will want to know if a valid test certificate exits. If no MOT, it would be impossible to contest their reduced settlement offer.

Ins co. requirement is to be "serviced & maintained in good order"Nothing else. MOT only proves that at that moment in time it was, theoretically, complying with the requirements.

correct..

No MOT certificate £1,000 fine.
You ever seen anyone fined that amount ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
You ever seen anyone fined that amount ?

No, I'm not a traffic cop, judge or defense barrister , why would I ever be in a position to see anyone fined ?

Nor have I ever seen anyone hung, flogged, keel hauled, beaten or beheaded.. doesn't mean it doesn't happen

penalties are laid down by the government... £1,000 is the maximum for no MOT

https://www.gov.uk/highway-code-penalties/penalty-table

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
Ins co. requirement is to be "serviced & maintained in good order"Nothing else. MOT only proves that at that moment in time it was, theoretically, complying with the requirements.

Personal experience:- My car was 'written off'. The insurance company claimed that they could find no record of a current MOT certificate and on that basis offered me a low settlement figure. I was able to prove that an MOT cert did exist and they immediately offered considerably more. They are in business to pay out as little as they can get away with, why give them ammunition against you.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

You are all being taken for a ride. If you have the same vehicle and Sorn it the vehicle still has the same value with /without tax & mot.
I used to park up sports vehicles with neither during winter & they were still insured for the full value.
Another one I'd always scrub out on all my families vehicles was the " Must be parked at home/in garage overnight " or whatever they put. Sorry I work ;I'm likely to be using all & any if needed in place of my own in the event of a breakdown, 24/7. During the night they'd be safer where I was on a secured site than in any garage!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not if you get one when you get one at the first possible station and have prebooked. Doesn't say that you must have a test done in a particular station only the first suitable one.
Forgetting insurance to drive a vehicle in another country it has to be fully legal in the country of registration, so if you drive in France without an MOT if your vehicle requires one in the UK, you are committing a road traffic offence.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Agreed Lenny, and if you are caught in Germany without the UK MOT you can expect quite harsh treatment.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was Just pointing out that they do it there and it is dead handy to get to. Not to get a load of knockertwisters doing just that. If you were away and came back for a test the return it is a good place to know. However whoever resurrected this post of mine has reminded me that my MOT is due on April 17th as that is as much as you get from else where as a reminder.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You lot do realise that the last posting on the original question was in April 2015 don't you ... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It did remind me mine was coming up again though. Need someone to bring it up again at the beginning of April THIS year.

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Perhaps our Ringleader could add a reminders section to our accounts whereby we enter, MOT, Road Tax, Anniversary, and other important dates and receive a timely reminder :Grin:.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If we were going away for an extended period I would just get an MOT done before we left. Tax and ins can then be done online if need be.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Comfort Insurance Terms and Conditions state.

"Your motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the vehicle) and current UK Road Fund Licence.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Comfort Insurance Terms and Conditions state.

"Your motor caravan must at all times have a valid MOT certificate (unless not required due to age of the vehicle) and current UK Road Fund Licence.

I think you'll find you have that the wrong way round. You can avoid road tax on an historic vehicle but not an MOT. (y)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Sorry, to repeat, I think you may have that the wrong way round. You must always have an MOT regardless. Historic vehicles may avoid road tax only.(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Sorry, to repeat, I think you may have that the wrong way round. You must always have an MOT regardless. Historic vehicles may avoid road tax only.(y)
Sorry but you are BOTH wrong, you have assumed that the reference to MOT and the age of vehicle means old ones, it doesn't, it means ones less than 3 years old as they do NOT need a MOT.

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
OBVIOUSLY......... DoooH....:rolleyes: An historic vehicle must be approx. 25 years to qualify for free road tax.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just because you have got new glasses.:D
Actually no, I could really DO with some new reading glasses ... must make an appointment at Tesco for a free eye test!

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This week I 'forgot' the anniversary of my father's death.
It is entirely possible to 'forget' an MOT.

I bow to those on here with such ordered lives that they do not forget ANYTHING.

I could think of a miriad of reasons why/how you could find yourself driving in a foreign country with an expired MOT.
Suppose you knew before you left for a holiday that your MOT was due two weeks after your return date and 'BANG' the engine goes and you find yourself waiting for parts.
On a technical note, I think we are all aware that it is perfectly legal to drive to an MOT station even if the MOT has expired.
Therefore, even in France, where the vehicle has to be legal in ones own country to legal there, if you could prove that because of circs. you had to drive it to Dover to get to the MOT station then you should be legal there. It's not as if you could get it done in France.
(I wouldn't like to try to explain that one and I'd want a sheaf of paperwork in two languages to assist.)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I would have thought it would be dead easy to go out of MOT whilst having a breakdown done abroad and to get it done at the first possible place would be a good thing to do as if you didnt' abandon you van in europe as you didn't have an MOT you would want it home and legal. WHY do all the do gooders jump down and scream illegal illegal as soon as something is stated.. GREY WATER GREY WATER.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back