Help! Don't know where to go! (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
A Bank Holiday approaches and I'll have four whole days off school. So, a fantastic opportunity to go away in the 'bread van' (as Ron affectionately calls our Bailey) together with my sister and her hubby who are tuggers. We want to go somewhere within a couple of hours of Gloucester, that's got EHU, that's less than £20 a night. Preferably with a pub within walking distance! Anybody got any favourites?

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Under £20 with EHU in the UK????
Sorry can't help there :(:(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Never been, but how about Broken Link Removed

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another vote for the 3 magpies in devises. however it often gets booked up for bank holidays

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are having the same problem but only 3 days for bank holiday weekend. :cry:

Someone suggested a site in Oxford earlier. (y)

I like this place http://www.binghamgrange.co.uk I haven't checked the prices for bh weekend but restaurant on site that serves alcohol. it can't be more than a couple of hours from Gloucestershire.

Or what about going to South wales?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
CC site at Tiverton? Might be full and might be over £20 on a Bank Holiday but it has pub within staggering distance - but you have to walk along the canal tow-path - which will sober you up very quickly if you fall in! There were kingfishers flying around the last time we were there (the canal not the pub) - and they have repaired the hole in the canal too!

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Aha! We MAY be in luck. Cripps Farm near Highbridge, Somerset. Just waiting for someone to phone my sister back, but she thinks they have two pitches available. Fully serviced pitches, £18 per night! Bargain! And fishing on site to boot!

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
We are having the same problem but only 3 days for bank holiday weekend. :cry:

Someone suggested a site in Oxford earlier. (y)

I like this place http://www.binghamgrange.co.uk I haven't checked the prices for bh weekend but restaurant on site that serves alcohol. it can't be more than a couple of hours from Gloucestershire.

Or what about going to South wales?
That site looks lovely, but it's nearly £30 a night which is a little pricey. Need some pennies left for beer! May try it out is season some time though.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Aha! We MAY be in luck. Cripps Farm near Highbridge, Somerset. Just waiting for someone to phone my sister back, but she thinks they have two pitches available. Fully serviced pitches, £18 per night! Bargain! And fishing on site to boot!
The last time I went fishing I caught a boot too. :)

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
@Gerri19
Are you in the cc or c&cc? Plenty of cl's cs's have facilities, only prob might be getting on somewhere with it being a bank hol?

What about the pub that houdini mentioned in wiltshire - I have. No idea of distance lol!
http://www.the-barge-inn.com/index.php
Oooh! I really fancy that pub! Unfortunately it wouldn't suit my sister (far too uptight!) so may save that for when Ron and I go off on our own!

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
gerri going to pembrey may day break £20 with electric do not know if it is fully booked you can walk into burry port lots of ale houses sea view fish and chips and they know all about the kings of England if you ask again a very warm welcome form wales lol ray

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@Gerri19
It has connections with Ronnie Woods paintings, not sure if you saw Lesleys comments yesterday,they went to the pub
Broken Link Removed

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Didn't think much of the 3 Magpies, service was away with the Fairies, the meal was crap and over priced, and I don't think the beer pipes had been cleaned for a week or so.
Got a far better meal and pint, walking down the towpath to the first pub, bit of a walk, but, well worth it!

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
What about the pub that houdini mentioned in wiltshire - I have. No idea of distance lol!
http://www.the-barge-inn.com/index.php

Oooh! I really fancy that pub! Unfortunately it wouldn't suit my sister (far too uptight!) so may save that for when Ron and I go off on our own!

Duly bookmarked. That one's a must for next time in the area.

One sister would be right at home. Other one would be muttering with yours in the corner. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Duly bookmarked. That one's a must for next time in the area.

One sister would be right at home. Other one would be muttering with yours in the corner. :ROFLMAO:
I reckon it could be a real laugh in the right company! To be fair, my sister could enjoy, but only I'd someone took the stick out of her Ass first! Love her to bits, but some people just can't relax!

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
Cripps Farm near Highbridge, Somerset.
Thanks for the Tip off about Cripps Farm. It is a working Farm with sheep a few horses and a couple of heifers, run by a very nice family. Just had 4 days with them and can say it was a really good site, very relaxing with two fishing lakes full of all sorts of fish and some carp in double figures and some of the biggest perch I have ever seen, £5 per day fishing and £18 per night for hard-standing fully serviced . There are 5 Hard standings right on the river bank, which you can fish in season, There is a paddock that takes Motorhomes and touring caravans with water and electric connections. There is also an abundance of birds including woodpeckers , kingfishers and Barn owls on all other sorts. So thanks again for the tip Gerri

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Wow, thanks @Voyger1010 ! We go next Thursday evening and I'm really excited, even more so now! Just need to sort out my tackle so I'm ready for those big carp! Really glad you enjoyed it.

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
I'm ready for those big carp!
Gerri, peg 1 small lake, directly under it the biggest Perch I have ever seen, lay in wait to ambush the tiddlers that you catch and throw back. I caught a 4.5lb but I saw an 8lb there so BEWARE lol, enjoy your visit, and I would love to hear how you get on.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Didn't think much of the 3 Magpies, service was away with the Fairies, the meal was crap and over priced, and I don't think the beer pipes had been cleaned for a week or so.
Got a far better meal and pint, walking down the towpath to the first pub, bit of a walk, but, well worth it!

I had a meal in there once too which wasn't up to much.

Next day we cycled to the pub on the towpath ( The Barge?), got a bit stuck in there and had to cycle back in the dark with no lights..

Not particularly responsible parenting..

OP
OP
Ockerron
Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Update: had a wonderful four nights at Cripps Farm! Weather was pretty awful most of the time but that didn't spoil it! The setting is perfect, so lovely and quiet! Lots of bird life, and good fishing. The site is totally spotless and the people ever so friendly, and huge pitches!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Definitely recommend!

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Try the Three Magpies at Sells Green near Devizes.
Brisey.
this is a real great place but proberbly already booked up. Nice site just outside marlbourgh a ccc site but bank hol will be chocca. and pricey. maybe a brit stop?

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Update: had a wonderful four nights at Cripps Farm! Weather was pretty awful most of the time but that didn't spoil it! The setting is perfect, so lovely and quiet! Lots of bird life, and good fishing. The site is totally spotless and the people ever so friendly, and huge pitches! View attachment 61853 View attachment 61854 View attachment 61855 Definitely recommend!

We only live about 15 miles away from here but have never seen that site, I'm not a big fan of Highbridge if I'm honest but the site looks nice, always seems a bit daft only travelling half an hour down the road to stay in the MH, mind you if I was living around Gloucester I think I would spend a lot of spare time around the Cotswolds, Bourton on the water etc, some lovely places around there

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back