The Peterborough Show - is it worth going (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
A bit of a horses for courses question I guess..
We do not yet own a motorhome but hired last year and are hiring again this year.
We think we have narrowed down our choice for when we buy next year to either the Autotrail Tracker RB or Bailey Approach 730 both of which have the same layout.
We will probably go to the NEC in October.
Its a 200 mile+ round trip for us to Peterborough is the show worth the effort in getting there?
What is to see there that we might not at the NEC?
Cheers
Bill

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Bill,

It's about a 170 mile round trip for me, but I'm going (although we're staying three days)

It's a BIG show with lots of new and used vans. The MHF attendance is also very large, with over 100 Funsters vans. The difference between this show and the NEC is the amount of accessory and MH paraphernalia stands.

You must have the patience of Job if you can wait until next October! A lot of people were disappointed in the NEC last October too.

Weather is ok. No rain forecast. Beats cutting the grass!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
(Probably) the best motorhome show around and at the right time of the year with everyone, customers and the trade alike, looking forward to the new season. Great atmosphere on the Funsters field and if, like last year, right next to the displays with no long trek involved to get anywhere. As wingman said the NEC last year was not a patch on the year before and is nowhere near as good as Peterborough anyway.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Have to say slightly disappointed with the vans for sale this year there seems to be lots of the same models and very pricy ......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Have to say slightly disappointed with the vans for sale this year there seems to be lots of the same models and very pricy ......
ill be taking a look on Saturday , I doubt that the have the van of my dreams there , so that's why I have a trip to dusseldorf planned in sept , I just love walking around and looking

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If you're looking at new, try and go to the dusseldorf show in September. Cheap flight and even cheaper entry fees!

OP
OP
BMStewart2004
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
far better idea, a fantastic show! With added benefit of probably no autotrail or bailey there:D
Thanks for that but those vans have the lounge and bed layout we like. We didn't find the continental dinette arrangements suit us. I'm afraid your fixation on German vans and quality wouldn't hold sway with SWMBO. .......... Although the savings by importing may.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for that but those vans have the lounge and bed layout we like. We didn't find the continental dinette arrangements suit us. I'm afraid your fixation on German vans and quality wouldn't hold sway with SWMBO. .......... Although the savings by importing may.

just take her.....even if it means bribery...it will make sense in the long run:)

two autotrails on this site down in Spain that have suffered various rebuilds, one 2 year old 65 K van, this not uncommon? bailey stories no better.....

I think you have to look a bit deeper then the layout that appeals to be honest...

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think the layout is the most important thing, the common thought is it usually takes three vans before you arrive at the one ideal and the dinette arrangements don't suit everybody.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Bribery won't work - that just leaves corruption :D

Indeedy......sounds like the tails wagging the dog:LOL:

all really depends on style of camping. we mainly go abroad in search of good weather, so mainly living outside. you spend most of your time sleeping in a van, that the important area for us. Plus vehicle/axle weights and payloads, that most seem to forget about when window shopping.

Have been to Peterborough a few times, and enjoyed it. more of a social occasion then serious place to buy a camper IMO..Great for accessories and far better then a german show in this regard...

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have been to Peterborough a few times, and enjoyed it. more of a social occasion then serious place to buy a camper IMO..Great for accessories and far better then a german show in this regard...
errrrr ... ummmmmm .... I'm not saying nowt!:rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
errrrr ... ummmmmm .... I'm not saying nowt!:rolleyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
what's up chuck....all shopped out already?:D

edit: oh bloomin ech..not another van already :)
.... I cannot lie to a judge ... yup another van! A Globecar Familyscout L .... 2014 model, unregistered with 250 miles on .... :D

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Well IMO some of the 'show price' prices are OTT and there are things I want but won't be buying here.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
At last after all these years...have got you into a Herman van:)
Shhhhhhh .... now they'll work out who gave me the 'Minx' nick-name from 'teasing' you all this time! :X3:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've played the "what if..." Game. What if we had £x.000 to spend, what would we like. We've found 4 or 5 vans which would suit us and 2 we're really keen on. Then What if becomes If Only.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
We have yet to ever go to a show. The social side appeals , but nothing else.
We tend to research then buy from the best place , for anything we want. Be it online or from a store.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The beauty of a show is that you can get to see lots of MHs etc in one place without having to travel all over the place to see them, you can also pick up some bargain accessories if you know what to look for and where! There's no doubt that some of the stuff is expensive but there's other stuff that isn't.

Not everyone has a MH dealer/accessories store near them so this way at least you can see what you're interested in first hand and then find the best place to buy it - in the case of a MH best doesn't necessarily mean cheapest as it's about weighing up the whole 'package'.

Of course meeting up with MHFun friends is great too and being in the presence of such 'legends' as Jim and Sian (creep, creep ... mushrooms on Sunday Jim! (y) ) and putting faces to names (yes, we've met Dawn B ... and she IS scary! :LOL: ) is all part of the enjoyment but so far the highlight, apart from buying our MH, has been meeting Dave and Jacqui's Newell's new mutt and what a handsome chappie he is, I can certainly see why they chose him as he certainly has some resemblance to his adopted Dad!!!! :ROFLMAO: ;)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
If the sun is out I may trundle up on the motorbike for the day today, only about 120 miles each way, should be a nice ride keeping off motorways etc.

You rally goers may then have the misfortune of my hunting you down to say hello...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back