What are the diesel prices in France? (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Wait til you get there. They ranged from €1.18 to €1.30 when we were there weeks ago. Super U are often cheap. With the strong exchange rate we reckon we saved £80 overall on the same journey last year. :)

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Actually I'm told I've got a 16p off voucher from Tesco, don't know how cos we've hardly used them. So at the mo it doesn't matter. But it's good to know its cheaper when I need to fill up.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
current supermarket average in France is about 1.18 euro (£0.87). UK is about £1.20. Todays caxton rate is 1.36 euro to the £ so that would be a saving of 33p a litre.

your best of saving your tesco vouchers for when you get home and fill up as soon as you arrive in France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are off on Sunday and had 20p a litre off at Tesco so I filled up this week as the 20p discount runs out this month and can't be used when we get back. It would have been cheaper filling up on arrival but arriving with a full tank and 600 miles range feels nice. Heart over head!

OP
OP
Dorwyn
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We are off on Sunday and had 20p a litre off at Tesco so I filled up this week as the 20p discount runs out this month and can't be used when we get back. It would have been cheaper filling up on arrival but arriving with a full tank and 600 miles range feels nice. Heart over head!
We're off in 11 days, too. I know what you mean about leaving with a full tank. We usually do, you can drive all day and not worry. And likewise our discount runs out while we are away. It looks like the weather is better here at the mo, tho.

Reactions: DBK

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Europe is ALWAYS cheaper than UK we pay more duty here.
That is why I am amazed at the price of fuel in DOVER, we pay up to 5p per litre more than in Canterbury or the other areas, almost like the Motorways.. Thing is that there are imbeciles that actually fill to the brim before they go over and then fill up once they get back, makes me wonder if they actually know the difference between the Euro and the £ and think the UK is cheaper

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That is why I am amazed at the price of fuel in DOVER, we pay up to 5p per litre more than in Canterbury or the other areas, almost like the Motorways.. Thing is that there are imbeciles that actually fill to the brim before they go over and then fill up once they get back, makes me wonder if they actually know the difference between the Euro and the £ and think the UK is cheaper
Gosh, I don't think I've been called an imbecile since I was in short pants in primary school!

And the reason I fill up is a. I am happy to pay the premium to arrive with a full tank and b. I don't want to arrive in Spain to find they are having a fuel strike. For me it's a holiday and I want to be relaxed. Others may be turned on by saving a few quid but I'm not. Life is too short. :):):)
NB. Please note use of three smilies! I am in chilling down mode with only a few days before we are off.

Last edited:

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
These comments are a bit odd to me. Its France, theres millions of stations, just the same as here. The only issue I have when I go to France is finding the nearest supermarket station as it's cheaper. Having said that even the motorway stations in France are much cheaper than the UK. my tank is 80 litres, filling up in france is around £20-25 cheaper than in the UK depending where I fill up. Even at 1.30 euro a litre its 24 pence a litre cheaper in France.

Our usual fuel stop is at the Auchan at Boulogne just off the A16 junc 31

http://www.boulogne-guide.co.uk/shopping/auchan-hypermarket.html

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
without wishing to wind up the retired, some of us can still recover VAT and then tax on the balance, therefore a UK tax receipt gives up to 70% refund (vat, tax and NI)

we go into France brim full and return pretty much empty :D

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
Probably use business fuel cards, cheaper still when someone else pays!

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I was referring to the ordinary punters, the fuel companies use it as an excuse to hike the price here, even Tesco charge more the the other towns around here. I fill in Canterbury at an Esso station just off the Bypass. £1.19 at the moment on the A2 coming from the Docks

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Also depends which direction in France you are going - if you are anywhere the Luxembourg border it is worth a divert, even cheaper and same price on motorway, supermarket or normal forecourt. Just fill up at first one you see - you know you are over the border as there is normally loads within 1 km of crossing - on both sides of carriageway.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Gosh, I don't think I've been called an imbecile since I was in short pants in primary school!

And the reason I fill up is a. I am happy to pay the premium to arrive with a full tank and b. I don't want to arrive in Spain to find they are having a fuel strike. For me it's a holiday and I want to be relaxed. Others may be turned on by saving a few quid but I'm not. Life is too short. :):):)
NB. Please note use of three smilies! I am in chilling down mode with only a few days before we are off.

I don't think a tank full will take you to Spain and back:giggle:
Fill up in Calais!(y)

Reactions: DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think a tank full will take you to Spain and back:giggle:
Fill up in Calais!(y)
It does getting the ferry from Plymouth to Santander! Only about 3 miles from where we live to the port. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't want to arrive in Spain to find they are having a fuel strike. .
Well I've been here 13 years & that's a new one on me.! Never even heard of one ?
without wishing to wind up the retired, some of us can still recover VAT and then tax on the balance, therefore a UK tax receipt gives up to 70% refund (vat, tax and NI)

we go into France brim full and return pretty much empty :D
I always used to put in the foreign ones & reclaim ?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Wait til you get there. They ranged from €1.18 to €1.30 when we were there weeks ago. Super U are often cheap. With the strong exchange rate we reckon we saved £80 overall on the same journey last year. :)
Around the South of France at present, average DERV price at Supermarkets 1.19 euros per litre.

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
I filled up with Diesel nr Salisbury today----Petrol and Diesel was the same price £1.14

Gandhi

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Near Glossop
Funster No
MH
bessacar E496
Exp
5 years
We filled up in Folkestone last summer. Big mistake! Do it there. I will get off the other side this year with about 3 gallon in the tank.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Filled up at about 83p a litre at the Auchan in Calais (where they grabbed my last euros on the excellent offer on wines) and have limited the use on the motorhome til we go back in July.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back