365 days european breakdown cover (1 Viewer)

caz144

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
grantham
Funster No
MH
C Class, LP
Exp
Anyone know of a company which will cover a 3850kg mh for 365days in europe.
I have rung round a few and had no luck. Looks like we will have to go without.
There must be a company out there that does, surely?

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Safeguard, but only as part of their MH insurance policy. As far as I am aware they will not do recovery only.

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

take a look at :

Link Removed

it's ADAC the German "AA", and covers motorhomes up to 7.5 tonnes all over Europe and a bit beyond. Several members of another Forum have joined and recommended it. I joined ADAC plus for about 80 euros and it covers all cars owned and also my wife driving on her own. There are also many other benefits including an element of travel insurance and the provision of drivers to get you and the vehicle home if you can't drive. They have English speaking operators and assistance numbers in most EU countries.

Alan

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim that's not quite correct, I have arrival through my insurance with Towergate Bakers, cheaper than doing it through the 3C's as well.

I think its just they won't do it direct for some reason.

Olley

Deleted User
Hi..
that is who we are covered by, it is only done though the C&C club using the Arrival Scheme, the RAC won't do it otherwise.

From the site

Hi,
I was also told not long ago that Arrival does not cover 365 days european cover

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Brit Rescue used to have a limit on European cover, you used to have to tell them dates of travel, but they scrapped that last year and I'm pretty sure there is no limit now. Vehicle restrictions are
"Motorhomes – must not be more than 8 metres in length or a weight when fully
loaded not exceeding 7.5 tonnes and must be a recognised make and model which
has been coach-built for that precise purpose. We will only cover vehicles over
these limits if we have specifically agreed this with you, before your cover began."

IMHO their cover is good but they are more expensive than the German org that Hymer quoted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi,
I was also told not long ago that Arrival does not cover 365 days european cover

Was this from direct from Arrival or a third party ?

All I know is what I have..

From Terms and Conditions.. ( if you want the full thing go online and download the PDF )

RAC European Cover
Upgrading your membership to include breakdown assistance in 08705 722 722
Europe (Annual Cover)

(Mon to Fri 8.00am to 8.00pm, Sat 8.30am to 5.00pm)
Hi Jim that's not quite correct, I have arrival through my insurance with Towergate Bakers, cheaper than doing it through the 3C's as well.

I think its just they won't do it direct for some reason.

I wasn't aware of that.. good to know..

Jim

OP
OP
C

caz144

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
grantham
Funster No
MH
C Class, LP
Exp
many thanks for all the help folks.
I am pursuing the ADAC via email.
and tomorrow towergate bakers and Britannia by phone.
I will let you know the outcome.

CC would cover us for a 6 month single trip at a cost of £307.
AA did cover for up to 6 months but with a 3500kg limit.

We work in France on a campsite for 6 months - we are covered travelling to and from by the company we are working for, but not while we are there!

We had arrival cover last year - taken out with club care insurance (not realising we were limited to 90 days!!)- but this year they (c&cc) no longer offer rac arrival - you have to do it yourself via the link on their web site and again they won't cover over 3500kg for that length of time.

ah well - back on your heads!

Reveuse

Free Member
Jul 19, 2008
Normandy
Funster No
Exp
since 1996
Hi Caz144, I'm going to work on a campsite too this summer, down in the south of France, first time for me so wondering what to expect!:Eeek:

OP
OP
C

caz144

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
grantham
Funster No
MH
C Class, LP
Exp
All sorted!
With Britannia Assist.
£130 for maximum 180 day trip. But you can go home and then go out again for another 180 days.
That will do for this year, but will pursue the ADAC and find all the info I can ready for next year.
thanks everyone, bit of a mine field out there isn't it? Why does someone not provide 365 days continuous cover? for peace of mind I would pay for it.

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
ADAC

I had both keys lose the security coding because of a crook battery connection 150km from Agadir in Morocco. One phone call and they sent a recovery truck and took us all to Agadir and dropped us off at the Ford dealer. 5 minutes with a computer and we were back on the road.
magic service from ADAC. Cost was zero

They have member recovery service as well (worldwide I think) as well as member and vehicle repatriation and of course roadside service over the greater Europe and Mediterranean area.
76 € or little more for "Plus" membership for a couple

S

solelle

Deleted User
cover

hi.......our "Bliss" is 34 ft long ....will adac cover us? cheers and happy roads:Blush:

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
ADAC info and application forms attached.

(Sorry they're zipped but the pdfs are too large).

You have to phone a credit/debit card number through or send a written authority as they can't accept Direct Debit from UK accounts

Alan

Last edited:

Deleted User
Was this from direct from Arrival or a third party ?

All I know is what I have..

From Terms and Conditions.. ( if you want the full thing go online and download the PDF )

I wasn't aware of that.. good to know..

Jim

Arrival told me that 365 day european cover was not available, this was for a fifth wheeler which they would cover regarding size but not 365 days european and that they would check ferry bookings to verify. They gave me a phone number for european breakdown that would be at my own expense and very expensive which is how the situation is at the moment.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
ADAC

Hi, just looking at the zipped English terms and conditions, and I think he states 92 days inside the European cover and 45 days outside (but countrys bordering the Mediterrean).

Also something about vehicle lengths to a max of 10m.

Plus I was looking to change my current RAC cover to this, but it also states that cover does not start to 50Km from home address, so would not cover like home start.

I have heard of people using ADAC before and have been very pleased with it.

Does it cover vehicle repatriation back to England.

I suppose really you have to look at it has European Breakdown cover only.

What do you think am I not reading it right?

Kind regards Pat

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
All sorted!
With Britannia Assist.
£130 for maximum 180 day trip. But you can go home and then go out again for another 180 days.
That will do for this year, but will pursue the ADAC and find all the info I can ready for next year.
thanks everyone, bit of a mine field out there isn't it? Why does someone not provide 365 days continuous cover? for peace of mind I would pay for it.

Hi Caz
have you got a number for Britannia assist ?
I just googled it and called who I thought was them but was told they only provide vehichles after an accident and offer no recovery schemes ???
I have also checked with the C&CC Arrival scheme and they only cover up to 90 days, Im off to spain for 6 months......
and having looked at the terms of ADAC Im a bit baffled....can anyone fathom this ? -
"A journey means that you are more than 50 km
(distance covered) from your place of residence. In the European area of coverage
you are covered (according to § 4) if, by the time the incident occurred, the journey
since leaving your place of residence did not exceed 92 days. Outside the
European area of coverage you are covered, if the journey did not exceed 45 days
between leaving the place of residence and the occurrence of the incident."

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
Caz its Britannia rescue not Britannia assist, anyway I called them and they only cover up to 8 meters, my RV is 10.5 meters....bugger.
and it looks like ADAC only cover up to a 92 day trip from your home address ( after the first 50km) soooo.......

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
I use the RAC linked with the C&CC to achieve Arrival status.

This covers 365 days European cover for my 9 tonne RV, the only clause is you can only make 2 claims per membership year at a max of £2500.00 each but they must be different journeys

All this and Rac cover on all vehicles I drive is £190 pa

Indy

ps I just read the handbook so I know this to be correct

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I use the RAC linked with the C&CC to achieve Arrival status.

This covers 365 days European cover for my 9 tonne RV, the only clause is you can only make 2 claims per membership year at a max of £2500.00 each but they must be different journeys

All this and Rac cover on all vehicles I drive is £190 pa

Indy

ps I just read the handbook so I know this to be correct

It must have just changed or something cos ive just called them and they say european cover is only for 90 days ??????????????

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
All sorted!
With Britannia Assist.

Thanks, sounds like Britania Assist will do for me too, I can keep with the 180 thing so long as i can go 'out' again in the same 'insurance year'

Several companies I've contacted recently said 6 or 8 months but within one 'insurance year' which isn't so good for me.

Do please let us know how you get on with ADAC - BTW are we talking just recovery insurance here or full damage and third party stuff ??????

S

smiler

Deleted User
365 days european cover

Hi Comfort Ins offer 365 days European

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
I've just had another telephone conversation with the people (RAC) that do the Arrival recovery scheme through the C&CC.
They confirmed that although cover is for 365 days a year any single trip must not be any longer than 90 days and that ferry / tunnel bookings are checked. It is possible to upgrade to 180 days on a single trip but this is only applicable to motorhomes up to 7 meters, so at 10 meters that me and most RV'ers out !
I am planning on spending the winter in spain and apart from doing a 2000 mile round trip back to the uk to get a new ferry ticket I either go for three months or risk paying a massive recovery bill should it happen.
I cant understand the logic behind this and wonder if something can be done ?
maybe a letter from Jim stating a few figures ? a petition ? a streak through the Caravan and camping clubs head office ?

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
if, by the time the incident occurred, the journey
since leaving your place of residence did not exceed 92 days. Outside the
European area of coverage you are covered, if the journey did not exceed 45 days
between leaving the place of residence and the occurrence of the incident."

Interesting.

When we had the problem with the security code in Morocco, ADAC didn't ask us how long we had been away from home. They just came and took the MH to where the problem could be fixed.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
...only applicable to motorhomes up to 7 meters, so at 10 meters that me and most RV'ers out !

I am planning on spending the winter in spain and apart from doing a 2000 mile round trip back to the uk to get a new ferry ticket I either go for three months or risk paying a massive recovery bill should it happen.

I cant understand the logic behind this and wonder if something can be done ?
maybe a letter from Jim stating a few figures ? a petition ? a streak through the Caravan and camping clubs head office ?
I imagine 'the logic' being yet another way of keeping check on people who want to fulltime outside the UK.

I learned only recently that all the UK motorway network is to be kitted out with ANPR cameras which will log every single vehicle travelling. Guess how long they will keep you on file?

Six Years!

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
some one suggested just booking a 2nd ferry crossing half way through a 6 month trip so that you were covered under the 90 day single trip clause, obviously I wouldn't do such a thing.....but wondered arn't ferry tickets stamped or something like on a train ? Ive never taken a vehicle abroad so dont know.
Someone please tell me quick, doggies booked in for his passport tommorow....sorry my friends dog.

nahnotme

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Funster No
just had that response in writing from the caravan and camping club -

"Hello Wayne

Thank you for your email via our website. I am sorry that your first email has gone unanswered although I have not been able to trace it’s receipt.

You are quite correct in that RAC do impose a limit of 90 days in any one trip on Arrival European cover although my understanding is that the length restriction for non-proprietary vehicles in 7.5 metres rather than 7 metres. We have discussed the possibilities of this limit being extended but RAC advise that with their current systems this is not possible although we are hopeful that we will be able to make some progress in this area in the future. The extension that you refer to which allows up to 180 days European cover in any one trip is a separate RAC product rather than Arrival which is presumably why there is a size restriction imposed.

We do try and cater for all members and do have another breakdown offering through our Carefree department. Longer trips and multi trip policies are available through Carefree although there are certain restrictions that apply. For further information please visit Link Removed or contact our Carefree team, here at the Club, by email or by phone on 0845 130 7701 or 024 7647 5198.

Should this cover not be suitable you could try contacting The British Insurance Brokers' Association (BIBA) who may be able to point you in the right direction. Their contact details are:

British Insurance Brokers' Association
8th Floor
John Stow House
18 Bevis Marks
London
EC3A 7JB

Web British Insurance Brokers Association :: BIBA ::

Consumer Helpline: 0870 950 1790

Email: enquiries@biba.org.uk

I do hope that this will be of some help.

Kind regards

Andy "

........................................................................................................................
It turns out that carefree also have size limitations and I am waiting to hear back from BIBA......

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back