SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sat on site and the sunshine has finally arrived in NW Scotland A couple of units on site have got me thinking, both are towing cars. When towing, the car will have to have the same plate as the towing vehicle I understand that! What about when being used as a runaround? Surely it has to have its own registration? Confused.com in Scotland

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Lightboard on the back with all the indicators brakelights etc, And the number plate, unless you want to try and get away with speed camera confusion, as you were not driving the car at the time it went off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Your assumptions are correct; whilst being towed, same as towing vehicle. When solo; own registration.

Have on one occasion forgot to remove towing vehicle's number and ran around for two days with different number on front to the back of the "toad".

xjrchris

Free Member
Apr 17, 2012
bath
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
1 year
I have a spring loaded bracket on mine , takes no time to change the plates, i know the number plate could be nicked but have used loads of times without it getting nicked( whats the point of nicking one number plate) and with cordless screw drivers it only take seconds to remove ones that are screwed on ,

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Takes me a minute to change the plates over a clever quick release device supplied by Armitage trailers, uses a 2pronged fork to lift the retaining halves.

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
If both vehicles are registered to the same owner at the same address then the need to 'match' the plates is not generally enforced, and therefore not necessarily a problem. (Certainly in this country).
That's why tractors don't often have the same plate as the trailer........the farm is registered to both tractor and all the trailers are interchangable .
Jim (ex cop!)

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Can't understand why you would want to tow a car if you thought that way why not buy a caravan? :unsure:

Off we go!

It gives me freedom of choice. Most of the better sites in the UK tend to be in the countryside (CL's and all that) and parking a motorhome can be a challenge, hence the Toad.

Europe doesn't present the same problem as many sites are within walking/cycling distance.

At the end of the day it's personal choice. ;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
When I was doing shows, the fitted number plate was the show one, the road legal one was just held in place with a couple of strips of velcro

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Can't understand why you would want to tow a car if you thought that way why not buy a caravan? :unsure:

In the same train of thought.. Why buy and run an expensive motorhome.. A car and hotel would do the job ( you can get an AWFUL lot of hotel time for £50,000 !!! )
In fact as a hotel is just a house ( or worse, just a room ! ) why not stay at home ?
After all, most of the population does exactly that........ which makes us either weird or perhaps doing what we want to do even though, in the light of cold hard facts, there is little rhyme or reason to our chosen hobby / life style (y)

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
If both vehicles are registered to the same owner at the same address then the need to 'match' the plates is not generally enforced, and therefore not necessarily a problem. (Certainly in this country).
That's why tractors don't often have the same plate as the trailer........the farm is registered to both tractor and all the trailers are interchangable .
Jim (ex cop!)

Yes, I was informed that providing the plate belonged to a registered and taxed vehicle, the towed unit could be different to the towing vehicle. I've borrowed a trailer from a friend a few times and never bothered about the reg. number being different. Local bobby said that was OK.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Many years ago coming home from Snetterton on Friday night, I was pulled over by a copper. When I asked what was wrong, he said my bike reg. plate was illegal, and a fake. I said that as it was on a trailer, it didn't count. (I have a plate just for trackdays so folk can find me. It's YOR1K - look over to the left

He started to get stroppy and said it was fraudulent to use a false plate. Knowing it's not a wise move to piss off some coppers, I asked politely if he'd call his station to check the legality of things on a bike on a trailer. He did so, and seemed really mad that he'd been proved wrong
:boxing:

Then he started to look around the bike for more faults. :( Then he said that the rear tyre was illegal as totally bald on one side. I politely replied that he should maybe call his station again :)

This seemed to rile him even more.:clap2:

When he said the bike tax disc was in the wrong place ( in nose fairing) I made a hand gesture to my ear imitating a phone, barely able to stifle my laughter:clap2::clap2::clap2:

He was starting to get really mad, and just got in his car and drove off :whistle2:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When I was running a caravan business I went out with the Land Rover to bring in a caravan. I was involved in an accident and the number plate showing the Land Rover number became dislodged from the caravan rear window. No number plate on the caravan. I received a written warning from Northumbria Police for not displaying a number plate on the rear of the caravan. I had shown the plate to the officer who attended the scene, when I picked it up in the caravan, but as it was not actually displayed when he saw the outfit, they issued the written warning stating it should be fixed in a manner that it would remain displayed. This warning stated that the offence was on record and if a further offence was committed it would be taken into account.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We only use a trailer to transport the Smart. We don't take it abroad now as it is easier to wild park solo and we can get to the places we want to go in the motorhome.

UK is not adopting the new EU trailer regulations so the grey area still remains regarding A-Frame towing.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Just as well mini diggers don't have to be registered then :)

With regard to the plate being dislodged
what happens if ssomeone runs into the back of you and breaks your plate off

Do you get done for not displaying

Sometimes I wonder what happened to common sense :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back