Damp - how long does it take ?? (1 Viewer)

Ejshooz

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Cosgrove
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi, Y'all
I have had my motorhome just under 17 months and was assured when I bought it from the dealer that it was damp free.
However, the habi check engineer who came to service it this morning tells me there is quite serious damp in the rear panel which "has to have been there two years or more" and reaches at least 12-16 inches high from bottom of panel up.
My instant reaction was to take the vehicle back to the dealer and stamp my feet (as one does!) but then thought, hang on, could the damp actually be new or at least not apparent to the dealer 17 months ago???
There is no external damage visible but on greater inspection it is clear that the seals have been replaced sometime before I bought it as the rubber is rather smeary and uneven, and not smooth as I would expect from the manufacturing build process.
So, long and short, should I go and stamp my feet, or is it possible that this has "just" appeared?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
When our van had its hab service a year after we got it there was no damp apparent.
8 months later there was reasonably serious damp in the rear locker - sealant gone through age and badly placed screws combined with wet weather. That was all sorted out (by a different company to the one which does our hab services) and the van given a clean bill of health.
Another 4 months on and random spots of not so serious damp were identified in the hab service. Again it was sealant wear but was easily fixed.
I now know what to watch out for so keep an eye out every time I clean the van.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry... Would not take anyone's word for anything....especially a dealer!. Would always get an independent damp survey....

What make van is it...and how old, as it maybe worth contacting CAB and the small claims court for satisfaction, if dealer dont want to play fair....as a verbal guarantee same as written.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Emma, Was good to meet up with you at the solo meet.
Nice to see you make your first post so an official ..
hello smiley.gif

I reckon damp can move pretty fast. We had a very small patch but seem to have caught it early so no real damage done. Sorry I cant advise but you will get lots of replies from the more experienced.

Attachments

• hello smiley.gif
    hello smiley.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 4
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
As I reported in another thread. I needed to get a small amount of damp sorted in our 15 year old Elle. Whilst checking out ( and getting quotes) from 3 different motorhome workshops I was shown around each of their work bays and was staggered to see how many were in for damp repairs. Many were between 2 and 6 years old. I was told that loads of them were being repaired on behalf of dealers who did not have the working capacity to sort them out themselves.
Elle had a reading of 25% in the rear offside corner, the rest of her was bone dry. It was this experience that made me decide to give her an overseal makeover and keep her rather than trade her in for a newer model, I could easily be buying into trouble, regardless what the dealer said. Good luck in sorting it out. :whew:

OP
OP
Ejshooz

Ejshooz

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Cosgrove
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry... Would not take anyone's word for anything....especially a dealer!. Would always get an independent damp survey....

What make van is it...and how old, as it maybe worth contacting CAB and the small claims court for satisfaction, if dealer dont want to play fair....as a verbal guarantee same as written.
It is a 2004 Rollerteam Granduca... and I'm getting a >70% damp reading across the entire lower portion of the rear, and now I've spotted it, I can feel how spongy the material is under the "wallpaper"

OP
OP
Ejshooz

Ejshooz

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Cosgrove
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Emma, Was good to meet up with you at the solo meet.
Nice to see you make your first post so an official ..View attachment 59315
I reckon damp can move pretty fast. We had a very small patch but seem to have caught it early so no real damage done. Sorry I cant advise but you will get lots of replies from the more experienced.
Hi there Irnbru,
yes it was a good weekend and great to meet you and the others :)

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
As posted by Brian the only, the only solution is to cut out the damp area. Logically the wall is a sealed unit(although water will find a way in) and once damp gets into the core there is no way to remove it - it has to evaporate; to where? The decision now depends on whether you intend to eventually trade in and how professional a repair you want to pay for.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If I were you I would get a quote to put it right, you might be pleasantly surprised, if the quote is large then go back to the stamping feet option, or CAB or at least contact the dealer, I cant personally see them admitting, or you categorically blaming them, but worth an ask

Hopefully repairs will be fairly cheap and you just accept it as part of ownership, same is if the clutch were to go this week, you really cant always blame someone, things happen :)(y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
It is a 2004 Rollerteam Granduca... and I'm getting a >70% damp reading across the entire lower portion of the rear, and now I've spotted it, I can feel how spongy the material is under the "wallpaper"

Hmm...still think dealer has a responsibility as he gave you verbal assurances...good luck. keep us in the loop as to how you get on :)

I would be talking to CAB and downloading their standard letter to fill in and send to dealer by registered post....if its a reputable dealer this normally does the trick and shows you know your consumer rights. worse case scenario its £50 for a small claims summons...dealers with reputations dont like going there as its all on public record.

get engineer report from company who surveyed it to support your claim..

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm

https://www.gov.uk/consumer-protection-rights

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Emma another from the solo meet, and just clocking on to the thread to say sorry to hear that you have damp in van... which I don't know the layout of..
is the area easily accessible. .ie free of furniture etc.
It will have to be stripped and the source sealed.
If it comes to it would you be able to take the job on,or is it definitely a garage/dealer job.
Whatever you do good luck with it..
Ta Andy.

OP
OP
Ejshooz

Ejshooz

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Cosgrove
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Are you good at DIY ? It is doable by anyone who is.

Anyway you may as well rip it open and see just how bad it is.
Me, DIY???
Well, I can put up a picture, wire a plug, change a lightbulb, and can at a push do a very basic service on my car, but replacing an entire rear panel on a motorhome??? That may be a bit beyond this modern girl!! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Ejshooz

Ejshooz

Free Member
Nov 17, 2014
Cosgrove
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Emma another from the solo meet, and just clocking on to the thread to say sorry to hear that you have damp in van... which I don't know the layout of..
is the area easily accessible. .ie free of furniture etc.
It will have to be stripped and the source sealed.
If it comes to it would you be able to take the job on,or is it definitely a garage/dealer job.
Whatever you do good luck with it..
Ta Andy.
Hi Andy,

It looks like about 18" to 24" high across the entire back of the van, which is partly hidden behind the sealed shower module, and partly in accessible walls (albeit thru cupboards!) so yes it looks like a pretty big repair sadly.
Thanks Andy, and again good to meet you at the weekend!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy,

It looks like about 18" to 24" high across the entire back of the van, which is partly hidden behind the sealed shower module, and partly in accessible walls (albeit thru cupboards!) so yes it looks like a pretty big repair sadly.
Thanks Andy, and again good to meet you at the weekend!

it doesn't sound like an easy one , but hey everything is fixable , just time and effort or some expense if you have to get someone in to sort...
reading your post im wondering if there is any possibility that the shower or its associated pipe work could be the problem, and not an external seal, or have you considered that ...
once again hope it gets sorted and hopefully you have some redress with the supplier..
ta andy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That may be a bit beyond this modern girl!! ::bigsmile:

Go to B&Q ( or wherever ) and look in a garden shed, your MH is probably quite similar, just bits of wood fastened together.

The killer, cost wise is the time taken, materials not that much. That is why DIY is such a winner.

I had a similar problem, I pulled off the soft wood and it took a month to dry out the still solid wood with a fan heater on low. Then I rebuilt it.

Granted a shower cubical is a problem but you'll no know how far behind the problem is until some wall is pulled off. No-one can give an accurate price either until they strip back, all they can do is guess then add a load, just in case.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back