Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
I greatly respect the job done by our heavy goods vehicle drivers and always treat them with consideration. I assist the drivers of large and articulated vehicles who want to pass me, and always 'flash' them when it is safe for them to pull in.
Since we bought our new motorhome there have been several ocassions where passing trucks have pulled in far too early, before I have flashed them in, and sometimes causing me to brake or decelerate.
The problem seems to be that our new motorhome has day running lights. They are large, circular, and emit a very bright light. I think that some truckers check their mirrors as they pass and, seeing the bright white light think that I have flashed my headlights.
As the use of day running lights is not mandatory in this country, and my Mercedes offers the option to disable the feature, that is what I have done.
I would be interested to know if anybody else has had this experience.
Stef.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Interesting. If the truckie is worth his salt he should only react to a flashed headlight. Having heads or running lights should not give him the signal that it's safe to pull in. I'm a big believer in having my dipped heads on at all times so I would not be switching off my running lights if it were me.
Regards Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Lorry drivers used to be skilled and safe, knights of the road they were called,and they're respected. Sadly there are more and more lorry drivers these days that are anything but that. I have witnessed horrendous driving of lorries both in the UK and Europe. I wouldn't like to put a % on it and I am sure there are very good lorry rivers around but the number of the not so good appears to be expanding. Perhaps you have met a few of those.

I treat all lorries with caution now, particularly those who I can see using their mobile phones as I pass them when overtaking or when they are coming towards me on the opposite side of the road. Its common to be following one that weaves from side to side of the motorway lane they are in and equally common to look in the mirror and see one just a few feet from your back bumper. It has to be said though that usually the culprits are driving non UK registered vehicles.

This isn't a rant against lorry drivers in general, some of whom are very good and professional I am simply speaking of my experiences.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
A very good piece of information (y)
Personally mine are low level in the fog light position so they're never mistaken for a headlight.
I do however travel slightly faster than HGV's or at least at the same speed usually

Wobby

Free Member
Aug 26, 2007
Hailsham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2005
That's very interesting, as yet I've not experienced the problem but it's worth bearing in mind. Perhaps our daytime lights are that bit smaller than on a Mercedes, but it a worrying thought, a big artic pulling in prematurely could be quite frightening. Our fiat based van hasn't the option to switch off the daytime running lights..

Wobby

Feb 10, 2011
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B584
Exp
Since 2010
DRL's are great for their intended use but why do they have to be on at night as well? They should go off when dipped or main beams are in use. The clue is in the description. They are too bright at night

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
Lorry drivers used to be skilled and safe, knights of the road they were called,and they're respected. Sadly there are more and more lorry drivers these days that are anything but that. I have witnessed horrendous driving of lorries both in the UK and Europe. I wouldn't like to put a % on it and I am sure there are very good lorry rivers around but the number of the not so good appears to be expanding. Perhaps you have met a few of those.

I treat all lorries with caution now, particularly those who I can see using their mobile phones as I pass them when overtaking or when they are coming towards me on the opposite side of the road. Its common to be following one that weaves from side to side of the motorway lane they are in and equally common to look in the mirror and see one just a few feet from your back bumper. It has to be said though that usually the culprits are driving non UK registered vehicles.

This isn't a rant against lorry drivers in general, some of whom are very good and professional I am simply speaking of my experiences.

I've been a wagon driver for the last 28 years and I have to agree with you. Gone are the days when a driver would jump out of his cab and watch you reversing or stop and let you out at a junction. They'd rather film you struggling.
Regarding Stefs post. Any driver worth his salt would make sure he knew he could pull in safely despite being flashed in but like I've already said they are diminishing very quickly.

OP
OP
StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
Thanks all for your contributions.
It did not intend that this should be a thread to knock truckers. The vast majority are a credit to their profession. If we are to criticise the few who fall short of the high standards that we expect then we must admit that sometimes us motorhomers and tuggers are less than perfect.
I simply wanted to let others know that if they think that a trucker has carved them up then there may be some excuse for it.
Stef.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
If fitted correctly they should dim when the headlights are switched on.

DRLs if fitted from new normally dim when sidelights/headlights are switched on, when retro fitted they probably do not dim.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine do and anything else whether retro fitted or not should do (if fitted correctly)

Broken Link Removed

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Gone are the days when a driver would jump out of his cab and watch you reversing or stop and let you out at a junction. They'd rather film you struggling.

A fellow Trukie waved me back as I parked my truck yesterday @ Beaconsfield services (y)

But for the OP unfortunately most of my colleagues are of an ethnic origin noways & thus are not trained to the same high level :whistle:

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
When I was driving attics, most trucks would 'flash' when you passed, some cars and vans would, but not always. I could judge it to the inch almost, when I was safely past a vehicle.
To pull in, when a light is illuminated or not and force someone to brake, or slow, is plain bad driving and stupidity on the truckers part.
I don't think it's anything to do with your DRL's.

Craig

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi StephAndDi.
There is NO excuse for pulling in early and all the posts are well balanced. This is JUST an observation and has been made by me,a Megainternationaltruckinsuperstar,(As was LOL !!) When being passed by another lorry as they drew alongside and started to pass,i would be caught up in the dead air zone and my speed would ever so slightly increase,however,self preservation would kick in and i would ease off a little.as one Knight ?? of the road would expect of another,but ,as has been stated,most of us "old ?"(Geriatric !!) Knights of the road have hung their spurs up,so,"Be carefull out there,it's hell on the Hill !! LOL.
Tea Bag.
PS. After being overtaken,i would ask Dr. Diesel to "Magic spanner" the pump,his answer was,"It is SMOKING NOW !! if i put any more fuel through,you will block off all three lanes of the motor way.... NO!!! LOL (Prior to MOT days)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They should pull in at the very least a whole truck length after passing or you suddenly have no braking distance. I'm fed up of boy racers speeding past then sitting on my bumper :mad:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
A lot of the trucks are driven flat out to the limiter, on some can be 50 mph or up to 56 mph and some have a magic switch to go higher. The ones of less mph take 3 days to pass you and cut in tight , like they are glad it's over. It's the way it is now days.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
DRL's are great for their intended use but why do they have to be on at night as well? They should go off when dipped or main beams are in use. The clue is in the description. They are too bright at night

They don't it is illegal. You are probably getting t hem mixed up with HID headlights which many vehicles are now fitted with & are blinding.

DRLs if fitted from new normally dim when sidelights/headlights are switched on, when retro fitted they probably do not dim.
No EU directive specifically states that

"Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result are too bright to be used at night time when they would cause dazzle. Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on."

additionally from 2011 they cannot be anything other than standalone.Headlamp-based systems are not allowed after DRLs became mandatory in Europe at the beginning of 2011. LEDs and low-power, high-efficacy, long-life light bulbs must produce appropriate amounts of light for an effective DRL without significantly increasing fuel consumption or emissions.
Retro.fits ,well anybodies guess.:D

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
They don't it is illegal. You are probably getting t hem mixed up with HID headlights which many vehicles are now fitted with & are blinding.

No EU directive specifically states that

"Daytime running lights must be bright enough that they can be seen clearly in daylight and as a result are too bright to be used at night time when they would cause dazzle. Daytime running lights should therefore go off automatically when headlights or sidelights are switched on."

additionally from 2011 they cannot be anything other than standalone.Headlamp-based systems are not allowed after DRLs became mandatory in Europe at the beginning of 2011. LEDs and low-power, high-efficacy, long-life light bulbs must produce appropriate amounts of light for an effective DRL without significantly increasing fuel consumption or emissions.
Retro.fits ,well anybodies guess.:D

I stated that based on what I had seen , my car uses the led DRLs also as sidelights so they dim when switched to sidelights.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Ours go off when the headlights are turned on, we don't have a sidelight option, unless parked with the engine off, I guess they are just parking lights.
I never understand people driving on just sidelights in the dark. I know it's ok to do that in a 30mph zone, but anywhere else you need headlights after lighting up time.
And I hate HID lights, they are always too high and blindingly bright.

Allan

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Talking of truck drivers...

IMG_8810-copy.jpg

No, we weren't on the wrong side of a dual carriage-way, this chappie decided to overtake on our side of the road. I thought that If we were going to be killed at least I could get some evidence. :)

The photo was taken through the front window of our bus on our way to Kathmandu in Nepal last year.

Fantastic country but I don't think that I'd like to drive my MH over there! :rolleyes:

BTW he missed us by about an inch - our driver didn't even flinch!

KH

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I had several trucks pull back in early on me yesterday and I don't have DRL fitted. Interestingly 4 out of 5 trucks I saw yesterday were foreign registered but it was the British o es who carved me up.

D.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Ours go off when the headlights are turned on, we don't have a sidelight option, unless parked with the engine off, I guess they are just parking lights.
I never understand people driving on just sidelights in the dark. I know it's ok to do that in a 30mph zone, but anywhere else you need headlights after lighting up time.
And I hate HID lights, they are always too high and blindingly bright.

Allan
I disagree. It is NOT ok to drive on 'side lights'/'parking lights' in a 30 mph zone. That's when more people are around, and vehicles need to stand out.
I think it is despicable to drive on 'side lights'/'parking lights' at anytime! It should be made illegal, or impossible!
If it is dark and/or poor visibility, headlights should be used. You will not get an electricity bill for using headlights.
I am often dumfounded at the amount of so called professional drivers, and for that matter, learner drivers that drive in bad weather on 'side lights'.
You have to reach for the damned switch, so why not put on the headlights!
You have the answer, you can not drive yours on 'parking lights'. All vehicles should be like that.
Sorry for the rant, but this is one of my pet hates.

Craig

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
This bit of info may be of use
I know originally the rules said they should be dimmed of a night time when the headlights are on however it now seems that the rules state extinquished of a night time - presumably to dim to side light is acceptable.
Before anyone feels tempted to turn them off I suggest the point about visibility to others particularly pedestrians is noted

WHY IS THE DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS LAW BEING INTRODUCED?

The answer is simple - these lights improve road safety during daylight hours. The lighting makes cars more visible to pedestrians crossing the road, and to other motorists.

In fact, studies carried out by the European Commission and the Department for Transport have both found that daytime running lights can reduce accidents and casualties during daytime hours.

DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS REGULATIONS

New cars must be fitted with DRLs to comply with the daytime running lights law. However, many drivers have been fitting

them to older cars to take advantage of their benefits. If you're going to do this, follow these simple guidelines:

• Make sure the lights comply with safety standards
  • ECE R87 so you can be sure they're street legal
  • Only use your DRLs during the day - they will dazzle other drivers at night
  • Most DRLs automatically switch off when headlights are turned on.
  • If yours don't, make sure you manually switch them off when it gets dark
WHY FIT DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS?
Although the daytime running lights law does not require existing car owners to fit DRLs, many drivers are choosing to add them.

Apart from the road safety benefits, the lights look stylish - because they're associated with new, high-tech models,

loads of people are using them as a quick and easy way to upgrade their motors.

As more vehicles appear on the road with DRLs on, older vehicles will be at a disadvantage in terms of visibility.

So it's expected that drivers with older vehicles will choose to add DRLs or will drive with sidelights or dipped headlights on.

The problem with driving with headlights on is that it increases fuel consumption - DRLs are a better option,

as they're normally LED lights that consume less power. Some even have a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Mine do and anything else whether retro fitted or not should do (if fitted correctly)

Broken Link Removed
Can I please ask what are the cables marked "turn signal" connected to ?
Thanks Ian

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Don't know
No such connection on mine
Oh dear if you don't know what chance is there for a senile retired civil engineer??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back