Apr 9, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper excelsior
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi guys
I'm new to this motorhome lark lol sorry if this has been asked before but I pick up my new ( to me) autosleeper on the 28th and don't know if I should get a cover for it. Been looking on the web and there's such a mixture of answers both pro and against so should I cover or not
Thanks
Pete

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Unless you can keep the cover from rubbing on the motorhome I wouldn't bother.

If you can put it in a garage or a carport then that's another can of fish!

Oh and welcome.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
Only had moho for 6 mths, but had caravans for 20 years. Had a cover for one and the constant movement of cover in wind scratched the windows, so sold it

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Just another bit of advice / heads up, unless you pay your sub you only have a couple more posts before ou become "read only". As a paid subscriber you get all sorts of discounts (soon save your membership sub) and access to all the site - plus you can come on the rallies and to the meets. It was the best value £10 I have ever spent on the motorhome :) :)

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Just another bit of advice / heads up, unless you pay your sub you only have a couple more posts before ou become "read only". As a paid subscriber you get all sorts of discounts (soon save your membership sub) and access to all the site - plus you can come on the rallies and to the meets. It was the best value £10 I have ever spent on the motorhome :) :)
Might be the best £10 you've spent for yourself but it was the worst for the rest of us!!!:whistle2::imoutahere:

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I would agree with other that have said that unless you can tie the cover down so that there is absolutely NO movement in the wind, don't was your money.
The other issue is they are a real faff to fit. I had one for my caravan and actually only fitted it 3 or 4 times.
Again like others say, spend £10 and you can ask as many questions as you like and join in the Fun (y)
Welcome to the forum by the way :welc:

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
If you intend to lay your van up for a length of time then a cover is practical ,but you need to tie them in a way that stops the wind moving it ,personally I use a descent wax ,a two pack such as diamond bright

Upvote 0

Johnnyb

Free Member
Jan 21, 2015
Yorks/Derbys
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Can only agree with what others have said, the paintwork won't like it. I've used them on cars before and the paintwork on corners of the wings and roof often gets marked. This was with the covers tied down securely using more than just the supplied fastenings.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
cover goes on in november and comes off april, road tax does the same [opposite way round]:cool:

don't get makes but it is a custom fit one

don't get as much fading and sun damage

recommended

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Might be the best £10 you've spent for yourself but it was the worst for the rest of us!!!:whistle2::imoutahere:

Good job I have waterproof, fireproof and bulletproof feathers....... anyway you haven't met me yet! :)

Certainly the worst Tenner I ever spent, and I begrudge it every year I spend another one,

.....where could I buy a business where so many people pay me a tenner and then so many more bully others into paying me a tenner.......:wub:

Upvote 0

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Another reason not to use a cover is if you have solar panels fitted which keep your vehicle battery topped up.
Not much light will get through the cover!

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

Right, @Gellyneck and everyone who put a like on the post are off the Christmas Card list and I'm now cream puffed. :) :)

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Definitely not they can do some serious damage to paintwork. Mate of mine used one his first winter when he removed it paintwork was damaged on corners from wind buffeting and mould everywhere. Took ages to clean and get rid of the mouldy smell plus the cost of paint damage. Went in a skip and hes had no more problems when storing.
Best way use the van all year.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We had a cover for our caravan and it seemed to cause a lot of condensation over the winter months. I was mopping the ceiling! It was a pain in the neck to put on and off. then if wet you need some where to spread it out while it dries. We would never get another one. To be honest the main reason we got one as we park it near some trees and it stopped the roof getting grimy. Much easier to wash the roof :)

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I was in the yes camp but realised that having a cover would be a disincentive to using the motorhome. Also with a solar panel, oyster sat dish and a/c on the roof I just knew it would be a faff pulling a giant sheet over the top of all that kit.

So mine sits out in the sun, snow and rain. The solar panel keeps the battery charged so I don't ever have to think about it. I wash it thoroughly in the Spring, it gets a damp sponge when needed throughout the summer and gets a good wash in Autumn.

This year I got up and washed the roof (my van is now two years old). I parked on a slope, took up a hosepipe, sponge and tub of miracle cleaner and it came up sparkling.

Reactions: LAM
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I think your Autosleeper has a one piece construction roof - so no seams to leak (y)

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I'm so glad that people are getting the message about the downsides of using covers. Every spring I see several vans that have been damaged by covers and or covered in green mold inside and thats the so called breathable covers.

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I'm so glad that people are getting the message about the downsides of using covers. Every spring I see several vans that have been damaged by covers and or covered in green mold inside and thats the so called breathable covers.

That's good to hear from one so knowledgeable Mike, thank you as I have this brand new Moho and often think how can I protect her better.
Another valid point is the amount of use, if I had to dis-robe her just to pop over to see a pal, I wouldn't bother, take the car or bike instead.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Popeye flattery will not earn discounts :) The best protection for motorhomes is a good coat of wax

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Don't cover it - use it! :)

Your MH is a motor vehicle and they were made to be outside in all weathers. Spidey (above) has it spot on.

KH

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Looks like we are in the minority on this one! We use a Maypole breatheable cover & no problems just a nice clean unweathered motorhome even after several months of storage :) A motorhome height garage/covered area would be easier or to have it in constant use but neither possible yet... Have had caravans in the past & tried both with & without covers & covers win hands down for us :imoutahere:

Upvote 0

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Looks like we are in the minority on this one! We use a Maypole breatheable cover & no problems just a nice clean unweathered motorhome even after several months of storage :) A motorhome height garage/covered area would be easier or to have it in constant use but neither possible yet... Have had caravans in the past & tried both with & without covers & covers win hands down for us :imoutahere:

I'm with you there! If you're not using your van during the winter, it's just common sense to cover it and give it some protection. We use a Pro-Tec cover which is lined and breathable. Make sure your van is clean when you cover it, and that's how it will be when you remove it in the spring - no bird droppings, no debris, no green staining from trees and you've saved yourself hours in restoring it to how it was months before! I've certainly had no issues with paintwork damage, which I guess may be down to the quality of the cover used.

Upvote 0

Voyger1010

Free Member
Oct 25, 2013
UK
Funster No
SAM_0021.JPG SAM_0020 (Medium).JPG Having a cover on that fits properly and doesn't flap about, is like other's have said, "good to protect your pride and joy". The other alternative is to have a motorhome type carport.
Mine is a great, keeps the worst of the weather off as well as the bird droppings (dam pidgins') and the van is kept dry, well worth the money to protect your investment, Pics attached I hope.

Upvote 0

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Bizarrely quality ( or price) doesn't seem to be a factor. I have seen interior mold in vans fitted with covers mentioned by Campercalie as well as the cheap covers. I have also seen vans damaged by said covers.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back