seized air con pump wrecked drive belt? (1 Viewer)

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
AND IN TURN WRECKED ENGINE ,Hi, don't know if yous remember that we broke down in France about 3 weeks ago 1 hour from Calais. Insurance got us home in 4 days and mh a few days later. We had a new cambelt fitted before we left, 240 miles later it all broke,we think it was not fitted correctly. The garage have come up with several reasons the latest being that the air-conditioning pump seized wrecking the drive belt!
Has this happened to anyone else? I have images of immediate damage it looks very out of line ( flywheel, idlers, etc) and what I think may be an important bolt \ stud snapped at nasty angle .
Please if you have same engine (Ducato 2.8jtd) put an image of left hand side of engine straight down to the floor showing alignment of auxiliary belt, cheers, will try to put image on off the phone,
Many thanks, jaks and andy

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Air con compressor is driven by auxiliary belt not the cambelt. Try as I might I cannot come up with a reason for a failed AC compressor to derail the cambelt. A seized AC compressor would first of all only cause a problem with the AC turned on (there is an electromagnetic clutch on the AC pulley) and even if it seized all it would do is cause the AC drive belt to slip which would squeal horribly and let you know there was a problem. There is a thick plastic shield between the aux belts and cam belt so derailing the aux belt would not be likely to affect the cambelt.

D.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can't see the cam belt driving the air conditioning pump. It will have a separate belt of a different type and the engine shouldn't be wrecked if the pump seized.

I can only suggest finding an independent automotive engineer to look at it as this is going to be expensive.

My suspicion is the garage did something wrong in fitting the cambelt but hard to be certain. For example it is usually good practice (depends on the engine) to change the idler at the same time but if you didn't ask them to do this is it their fault? They should have suggested it if it should have been done but there is no obligation for them to do so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I could be wrong but isn't the A.C pump on the auxiliary drive belt rather than the cam belt :cautious:

EDIT spent too long thinking whilst others were pressing submit :LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
WP_20150324_21_04_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20150324_21_04_16_Pro.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jaks & Andy,

Really sorry to hear of your bad luck. When we suffered the same bad luck near Toulouse, what should have been a new engine turned out to be either a scam engine from a donor vehicle, or a recon using worn parts. The only reason all this came to light in the end, was because whoever fitted the new camshaft belt ,fitted the two part casing the wrong way round. This caused the auxiliary drive belt to fray, snap off and enter the casing, dislodging the cambelt, which in turn totally ruined the engine. Had it not been for that fitter's failure, we might have never know about the scam.

Once the insurance assessor got involved things started to come to light, and the original repairer tried desperately to cover their tracks. My refusal to let the MH be transported back to their base in Sheffield was instrumental in them being sussed out and eventually taken to court by Equity Red Star, for around £10,000 of costs between the insurers and us.

If yours isn't an insurance repair, get an independent engineer's report done, before the garage start trying to alter things to cover their tracks. If it is an insurance repair, make your suspicions known to the insurers asap.

The very best of luck to you both. (y) We've been there, done it,and felt the pain and frustrations. :(

Jock (& Rita).

OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Hi all thanks for replays, yes the ac is driven by its own aux belt and this is only the latest reason for problem with the cambelt becoming loose ( not snapped) that the garage have come up with! Have put images on what is the bottom pulley for? And can you see it out of line and true? Cheers all Andy& jaks

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
When you say the engine is wrecked, what exactly has happened? What are the garage telling you has happened? Not the reason why, but what is broken or bent? If the garage changed the cam belt they would have had to remove the auxiliary drive belt and this seems to be the problem. At a guess, from the pictures it is a failed idler, but hard to be certain. From memory the bottom pulley is the water pump but don't quote me!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When the AC compressor seized on my Shogun it squeeled like mad and smoked as well (that was the belt slipping), when I realised what it was I turned off the air con and all was OK, likewise when we bought our motorhome the AC pump was seized and had no belt on at all.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Those pulleys in your picture are all for the auxiliary drive belt which would drive the compressor. Is the garage saying that the aux drive belt coming off, interfered with the tension of the cam belt ? It's possible when the aux belt snapped, it could wrap around the crankshaft timing pulley and cause the timing belt to loosen or jump. There does look to be some damage to the cam belt guard in the picture. My instinct says the garage have messed up somewhere

OP
OP
narrowboatjaks

narrowboatjaks

Free Member
Nov 2, 2014
Burton Hastings
Funster No
MH
rapido
Exp
17yrs
Thanks for all your thoughts on this, its on going and as you can imagine terribly upsetting, frustrating:mad:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Jaks & Andy,

Really sorry to hear of your bad luck. When we suffered the same bad luck near Toulouse, what should have been a new engine turned out to be either a scam engine from a donor vehicle, or a recon using worn parts. The only reason all this came to light in the end, was because whoever fitted the new camshaft belt ,fitted the two part casing the wrong way round. This caused the auxiliary drive belt to fray, snap off and enter the casing, dislodging the cambelt, which in turn totally ruined the engine. Had it not been for that fitter's failure, we might have never know about the scam.

Once the insurance assessor got involved things started to come to light, and the original repairer tried desperately to cover their tracks. My refusal to let the MH be transported back to their base in Sheffield was instrumental in them being sussed out and eventually taken to court by Equity Red Star, for around £10,000 of costs between the insurers and us.

If yours isn't an insurance repair, get an independent engineer's report done, before the garage start trying to alter things to cover their tracks. If it is an insurance repair, make your suspicions known to the insurers asap.

The very best of luck to you both. (y) We've been there, done it,and felt the pain and frustrations. :(

Jock (& Rita).
grate post grate advice
bill

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
grate post grate advice
bill
Thanks Bill. (y)

Unfortunately, it was an experience not to be forgotten, and had it not been an insurance protected incident, it could very well have meant the end of out MH'ing days. :(

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back