Advice sought on tolls in France (1 Viewer)

kwill1971

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt high top
Exp
Message from a newbie......

Our MH is just over to 3m height limit (3.07m to be precise). Single axle at back, 3.5tonnes max.

Do you think we can pass as a class2 at the peage's or are we going to get hit for class 3 ? Does it matter whether we go to a manned toll booth or not ? Heading down to the alps, so suspect it might make quite a difference to the cost of the trip ?

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I'm not terribly experienced as a Motorhomes and I'm sure many more old lags will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if you press the button and tell them you are a 'camping car' they will amend it to a Class 2, even if it had automatically charged you as a class 3. It's what we've been told to do this summer anyway!
Oh, and welcome to Fun! :)

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Agree with Gerri,press the help button and very politely in FRENCH :LOL::LOL: tell them you are a campingcar.
Worked every time for us(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We are 2.9 m high and with satellite dish, takes us up to 3.19 - 19cm over and 3.85 ton. - officially a class 3. So far ( about 50+ transactions), not once have we've been charged class 3. We keep expecting to and allow for it in our budgeting - guess we've been lucky
Van is an A class so very flat profile, I think if you are other shapes/ models it may make a difference

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you are not rushed for time the country roads are very good to drive on and often very quiet. We used a couple of tolls to pick up a bit of time but mostly we used the smaller roads. Quiet enjoyed the scenery apart from the odd sat nav error despite the fact that I updated the maps. There are a heck of a lot of roundabouts in France I have to say.

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Just come back we are 3m high but then have a satellite on top taking us to 3.3 m. All unmanned tolls charged us class 2.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
The charge is normally automatic because of height sensors at the barriers so over a certain height you will be charged the higher rate. At the barrier, press the intercom and say "Je suis camping car" and the price will be almost certainly be reduced from around 15 - 20 Euros to 5 - 10 Euros. Going through many tolls, only once was I challenged this year (near Bordeaux) when a guy said over the intercom "you are a very large camping car" I said I had been paying the camping car rate all over France to which he asked for my last toll ticket (which I didn't have) Took about 10 minutes at the barrier trying to explain I couldn't really understand what he meant, he sent a guy out to talk to me and then probably exasperated he just raised the barrier, so a 100% pass through rate. Don't worry about it, worst case scenario is you have to pay a bit more!!

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Agree with Gerri,press the help button and very politely in FRENCH :LOL::LOL: tell them you are a campingcar.
Worked every time for us(y)
I find speaking in English with a French accent ( aka allo allo ) will not work, any idea why ?
Phil (lippe)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Roof air conditioner put us over 3 m, press on button usually did the trick.

but I have to ask why use expensive tolls at all when you can easily get round using N road system, with light use of tolls to get you around the worse bits:)

One of my pet hates France class 2 charge :( when in Italy and spain campers are class 1 and far more resonable cost and not worth avoiding..

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have found when you draw up to the auto tolls , a ticket comes out of the top slot, ignore it and press the button on the bottom slot and it will be class two, usually , anyway(y);)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Same height and weight as mine, due to bad weather last November I used a lot of tolls in France manned and unmanned every ticket I got was class 2 and most of the tickets came out the top slot so no problems for me
Dave

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Only had to pay class 3 once last year,Madame wasn't having any of it.:( As said press the assist button and request camping car class 2.

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Message from a newbie......

Our MH is just over to 3m height limit (3.07m to be precise). Single axle at back, 3.5tonnes max.

Do you think we can pass as a class2 at the peage's or are we going to get hit for class 3 ? Does it matter whether we go to a manned toll booth or not ? Heading down to the alps, so suspect it might make quite a difference to the cost of the trip ?

Thanks all, I had no idea about these charges. Last year in France we used the toll roads mainly, for various reasons, (please don't shout :winky:). The tickets came out of the machines from all different places and one of them was very expensive. I take it it was a class 3 charge :nerd:? We are about to embark on a trip to France. Thanks for all the advice and French lessons. They have been added to my itinery.

:merci:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Only once we were charged Class 4 (we are over 3m and twin axle). Spoke to guy after pressing button to say we are a camping car but insisted as we were over 3m we had to pay Class 4.

Tend not to use tolls usually but there is the odd time it's worth it - but not often fortunately.

Denise

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Where is Frankie when you need her

:france::france:

Millibobs

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Sax Alicante area Spain
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Since 2004
Coming from Italy to France is always a shock going from class 2 to 3. Vast difference in price. Thanks for the advice re je suise camping car. Will give it a go this year coming up from Spain

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Avoid the bridge at Millau, they take no prisoners and will charge you the same as a commercial. They will give you a form to complain to the Marie but I think you have as much chance of platting fog. :france:

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
One must go over the Millau bridge at least once! Its worth the cost. Great engineering with a on-sight exhibition area below. Some nice campsites in Millau. (y)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We went over the Millau bridge last year, just over 3.05 m and charged as class 2.
But, come to Brittany, no toll roads here last time I looked

Allan

Espana Peter

Free Member
Jul 21, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I have just traveled the length of France and back and as I am over 3m AND tow a dog trailer, was automatically charged Group 4 every time. Rang the bell as suggested and was immediately reduced to Group two - saved me a fortune, so thanks for the idea, it works a treat!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back