May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
Honda EU10i or EU20i generators.
Can anyone tell me what these generators can run in our MH? Will they boil a kettle and run the fridge at the same time? Any help would be appreciated.
:helpsos:

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
generator

Hi, i have a kipor 3000.
It will run microwave,kettle,wife and daughters hair dryer,curling tongs straighteners etc.
i had a 3000 because i also use it at work when power not available.Had it just over 2years and it has been very reliable.
Honda are very good but i dont think they can justify the price differance.Have you thought of getting an higher wattage kipor for the price of a low wattage honda?I had an honda 1000 before the kipor and to be honest it was a waste of time.Better to have a little more power than not enough.

Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Saxon,

simple answer...No.

a standerd kettle is 3kw....a fast boil may be as much as 4kw.

the 1kw and 2kw gennies arent as you think.....they state the Max rated output...normal, continuous output could be as low as 850w and 1.7kw respectively

if you have a camping type kettle around 1.25 to 1.5kw then yes, a 2kw would boil it.

the fridge wont use much power unless its a compressor fridge.

bandit 1

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
hi top van conv
Exp
6 years
Can anyone tell me what these generators can run in our MH? Will they boil a kettle and run the fridge at the same time? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a EU20 gennie and find it will trip out depending on the kettle I always use a gas kettle when away from hook up but the gennie will run fridge no problem but i tend to run this off gas too. Mainly use the gennie for charging up the leisure battery.
Regards
Bandit:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, i have a kipor 3000.
It will run microwave,kettle,wife and daughters hair dryer,curling tongs straighteners etc.
i had a 3000 because i also use it at work when power not available.Had it just over 2years and it has been very reliable.
Honda are very good but i dont think they can justify the price differance.Have you thought of getting an higher wattage kipor for the price of a low wattage honda?I had an honda 1000 before the kipor and to be honest it was a waste of time.Better to have a little more power than not enough.

Dave

not at the same time it wont....:whatthe:
microwave around 1kw....kettle 3kw....hairdryer maybe 300w...tongs/straightners maybe 150w each.........total = 4.6kw
unless, ofcoarse, all the above are low wattage models.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

The power required to run an appliance is shown on it's data label in watts.., (occasionally it is only shown in Amps, in which case multiply the Amps x 230v for the watts,)
Calculate what your maximum load will be in watts, this determines the minimum size of genny you need..

For example, if you want to run a 2.5kw kettle you would need a 3kw genny

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Running a generator is usually restricted to charging batteries or occasional running power tools. running 24hrs to power a fridge would waste a lot of expensive petrol.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
My Kipor 2000KGE 2000 TI will run my air conditioning or kettle or microwave.

Wished i had gone slightly bigger but still good bit of kit on a rally:Cool:

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
I use a 1000W Honda generator (EU10i) for power when out on trials on Salisbury Plain (no EHU there..!!) in my pick-up truck. I have a 700W kettle, an 800W halogen heater with 2 settings (400W & 800W), plus laptop computer, printer, etc. Provided I turn the heater off when boiling the kettle, it runs all those quite happily, and an 800W radiant heater pushes out a surprising amount of heat. As previous posters have mentioned, you cannot run standard 2kw & 3kw kettles on a small generator, but by selecting the right appliances to use with one, even a 1000W genny can be very useful. As for fridges, most of these would be better run off gas when not on EHU, although I also have a portable camping fridge for use in the summer (when the heater is not needed) which the genny will also power.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My Kipor 2000KGE 2000 TI will run my air conditioning or kettle or microwave.

Wished i had gone slightly bigger but still good bit of kit on a rally:Cool:

hi john,

if you need to run the aircon then you dont need hot food and drink so that cancells out the last two items...
Link Removed
ice-cream and beer mate, ice-cream and beerLink RemovedLink Removed

all the nourishment needed:thumb:

Link Removed

OP
OP
saxon

saxon

Free Member
May 22, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4th year
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply. All comments considered - more especially that Honda aren't the only ones........!
:thanks2:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
We have purchased a Honda EU20i with a gas conversion from Edge Technology . It comes with a 5 year warranty, cost a smidge over a grand. Very quiet compared to most I have heard. Safe to run a PC. :thumb:
P K.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have purchased a Honda EU20i with a gas conversion from Edge Technology . It comes with a 5 year warranty, cost a smidge over a grand. Very quiet compared to most I have heard. Safe to run a PC. :thumb:
P K.

Great bit of kit.. we found our HondaEU2 invaluable .. and although they are more expensive you won't ever be let down..
however, on full load the noise level increases quite a lot..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back