Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Hi,

We're considering getting a small car to tow behind the MH, and have seen the Aixam. The vehicle/trailer needs to fall within 750kg due to licence restrictictions (post '97).:Sad::Sad:
Does anyone know anything about these vehicles?
Is there anything else suitable??

Our MH is a 1999 2.5td transit autosleeper pollensa...will this be up to the job of towing a car/trailer like this?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
from the aixim website.

How does a quadricycle differ from a car?
Under EEC Directive 92/61/EC (superseded to 2002/24/EC) a new vehicle category was created. Quadricycles are defines as having a maximum unladen mass of 400kg and a maximum power of 15KW. AIXAM vehicles are specifically designed to meet these specifications.

cant find mention of the GVW (gross vehicle weight) which is the one you need to know.

i have heard these are well below the 750kg limit so no problem towing it But i have read somewhere (?) if its fitted with brakes, regardless of weight, then they must work...ie...braked 'A' frame.

this ones gonna kick it all off again.....innit? ::bigsmile:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
They seem to be popular but my observations would be that they are noisy - you can hear one coming a long way off and not very speedy - they usually run in the bicycle lane or if in the main road they are usually followed by a frustrated truck driver. Are they legal in the UK ?- Couldn't take one on a motorway as wouldn't be fast enough.

There's another similar but better looking car built by Ligier and it seems to be a more sprightly car even sporty (Ligier - racing team) - saw afew in Sicily and a lovely one being trailored by a French van in Morocco - don't know the specs on weight.

:roflmto:
Keith

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
They seem to be popular but my observations would be that they are noisy - you can hear one coming a long way off and not very speedy - they usually run in the bicycle lane or if in the main road they are usually followed by a frustrated truck driver. Are they legal in the UK ?- Couldn't take one on a motorway as wouldn't be fast enough.

There's another similar but better looking car built by Ligier and it seems to be a more sprightly car even sporty (Ligier - racing team) - saw afew in Sicily and a lovely one being trailored by a French van in Morocco - don't know the specs on weight.

Keith

I have heard that they are similar to scooters...except with 4 wheels obviously:winky:
I didn't think about the restrictions with motorway, although it probably wouldn't be used for that kind of driving.

I'd not heard of the Ligier...I'll have to do some research on that.....the Aixiam's aren't exactly lookers are they::bigsmile:

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Here's a link - but the one's I've seen were much sportier so keep looking for the French ones.

Link Removed

just found this even wackier one

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSaDHUGdxyU[/ame]

::bigsmile:
Keith

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Well we are new so hope to make a good impression :winky:

just a bit of banter mate, nothing meant by it...:thumb:
as newbies you do the right thing by enquiring about things and not just jumping in blindly. we all had to start at the beginning:RollEyes:

usually the mere mention of towing a car opens up the much loved A frame debate....are they legal, are they not ?
these debates are worn out and posted to death but they still go on for many, many pages:Doh: and not one has come to a definative answer:cry:

robinmclaren

Free Member
Feb 23, 2009
coventry , warwickshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
20+ if you include vw campers and the like
buy bikes instead

check it very carefully, they make a diesel one and we looked at 1 as were advised the petrol one was unreliable , when we arrived the aa were there , aparantly they had got it running and now would not stop running , battery off, fuel molegripped ???, i thourgh i was quite good mechanically and so did the aa guy but this little sucker just kept running, on inspection it leaked water in like crazy , it is mainly plastic and doors bend if pulled , very noisy inside , no i was not sold on it , nor was aa mechanic and road tax high considering level of no anything spec wise , we purchased a ford ka 1300cc on a a frame from towtal and it is excellent as a everyday car and motorhome tow car with no problems towing at all
good luck

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
just a bit of banter mate, nothing meant by it...:thumb:
as newbies you do the right thing by enquiring about things and not just jumping in blindly. we all had to start at the beginning:RollEyes:

usually the mere mention of towing a car opens up the much loved A frame debate....are they legal, are they not ?
these debates are worn out and posted to death but they still go on for many, many pages:Doh: and not one has come to a definative answer:cry:

Yeah that's how it was taken..I have seen a few threads on A frames and it can get quite intense :ROFLMAO:
Nice to be able to start something (even if it is well debated) that people are still interested in....::bigsmile:

SO far we've found everyone on here to be just brilliant, really friendly and helpful:thumb:

We really don't know a lot and so we're on here all the time reading through threads, and have asked a few things, to which we've always had a great response.:thumb:

The A-frame debate...are we still missing an answer for GB, or for Europe as well?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The A-frame debate...are we still missing an answer for GB, or for Europe as well?

without starting yet another Bun fight.......they appear to be "Accepted" in most of Europe and the Uk....spains a bit grey at the moment. legal, illegal......anybodies guess !

as long as they're "accepted" that'll do for me. :thumb:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Here's a link - but the one's I've seen were much sportier so keep looking for the French ones.

Link Removed

just found this even wackier one

YouTube - "Be-up" Ligier

Keith

They do look unusual!!
Had a look at that review...thank you...

Check out this one that I found....not for sale though:Sad:
A bit off the point of the tow car but still :roflmto:

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
without starting yet another Bun fight.......they appear to be "Accepted" in most of Europe and the Uk....spains a bit grey at the moment. legal, illegal......anybodies guess !

as long as they're "accepted" that'll do for me. :thumb:

Sounds fine...if we do end up getting one and run into any problems we'll just say 'PappaJohn told us it was ok'!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Are they legal in the UK ?- Couldn't take one on a motorway as wouldn't be fast enough.

Keith

Why couldn't you take one on a M/way? Aixam claim a top speed of 70mph on their latest model. And absolutely legal in the UK. They also make trailer for it, loaded with the car its still under 750kg.

Olley

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
just because you passed your test after jan 97 does not mean you can tow only 750kg.

you are allowed to drive vehicles with a MAM (maximum authorised mass or gross vehicle weight) of up to 3500kg or 3, 1/2 ton and tow trailers up to 750kg or 3/4 ton MAM.
a total of 4250kg MAM.

HOWEVER:Smile:

you can tow a bigger trailer/tow car

provided your MAM for the motorhome and the trailer combined does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

if you get hold of a copy of februarys camping and caravanning club magazine its all written there. or look at the dvla,s website.

hope this helps.

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
Why couldn't you take one on a M/way? Aixam claim a top speed of 70mph on their latest model. And absolutely legal in the UK. They also make trailer for it, loaded with the car its still under 750kg.

Olley

I see that on the latest one Olley Aixam Cars - Websters of Stoke :Doh:

but of the large number of the old style I've seen most were going no faster than a lawnmower.:winky:

Keith

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
::bigsmile:Hi, Did I hear A FRAME.

I have a Fiat Cinquecento, and that is just over 700kg. :Smile:

We sold our scooter last year and thought we would try a car. :Doh: Paid £600 for it but the A Frame was not good.:cry:

But we managed to get a Tow a car A Frame off Ebay for BUY IT NOW £75.:roflmto::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Rofl1 Result or what!:RollEyes:

A then one year on, it went straight through the MOT::bigsmile:

But I would not touch an Aixam, when you see them in France they make a hell of a lot of noise and don't seem to go that fast. I think they have a tuned lawn mower engine Keith. :winky: Bob.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
::bigsmile:Hi, Did I hear A FRAME.

I have a Fiat Cinquecento, and that is just over 700kg. :Smile:

oh god, no, please no, not again, pleeeeeease. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

just over 700kg........that'll be the unladen weight Bob,

the one the ministry are interested in is the Gross vehicle weight. (probably about 950/1000kg for yours

my 1.4 corsa has an UW of 860kg but the GVW is 1140kg

my Ifor Williams trailer is 680kg UW but is 3500kg GVW.....wont see one of them behind a ford fiesta..

PS....thought i got an ebay bargain for mine at £120:Doh:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back