Carioca Garage Hinge seized: how to repair (1 Viewer)

redpis

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Funster No
Problem: Seized garage door hinge on 2004 CI Carioca 656

Contingency: None, just try asking or searching for a replacement hinge :)

Tools and equipment needed:
Powered drill
8mm HSS drill bit
5mm HSS drill bit
Pop rivit gun
2No 5mm diameter x 100mm long pop rivits
Posidrive screwdriver
Boiling water (I used a camping stove and beans tin)
Vice
Blocks of wood
Hammer
Graphite Lubricant
Toilet roll cardboard
Tipex

Pre works:
1) Remove garage door from van by the removal of door side hinge screws

2) Stow the door somewhere safe

3) Try to operate the hinges to see if one or both are seized

4) Remove the seized hinge from the van by drilling off the heads of the two pop rivits with the 8mm drill bit, and removing the posidrive screw.

Attacking the beast:

Penetrating oils did not work in my case, I had the unit immersed on release oil for 24hrs, also interesting to note, the hinge that secures to the van (ribbed surface that makes contact with the garage frame) is the FIXED PIN, the hinge that screws to the door rotates about the fixed pin.

Now this makes sense as to why my bottom hinge seized, the top hinge can be lubricated by the removal of the top platic cover ( I used a pair of wire cutters to gently get unterneath the caps flange ans teased it off) however the bottom hinge is effectivly upside down with respect to the top pin, so removal of the cap and the introduction of oil will try and lubricate the fixed pin!

Plan:

1)Get water on the boil

2) Get cardboard and make vice protectors with it, I used spent toilet roll cardboard as I felt it was apt when working on this van :)

3) Put the hinge in the boiling water for a couple of mins, the aluminium will expand at a greater rate than the stainless steel pin so should make removal possible, note only put the hinge half that screws to the door into the water, not the hinge half that screws to the van.

4) Transfer the hing to the vice, use the vice protectors madde earlier (Blue Peter moment) and secure the cold bit in the vice.

5) Use the wood and hammer to knock the halfs apart, repeat as many times as required, (make sure you do not loose the stainless steel washer)you might find that the pin will bend slightly due to the hitting angle used, this can easily be srtaightend in the vice.

6) When off (jump for joy), clean out, use oil and graphite and keep working till free.

Refixing to van:

1) Knock old pop rivits through into van frame, if they wont go, use a 5mm drill and drill them, if they spin, pull them out a but and crimp the exposed bit, this will stop them spinning and allow you to drill

2) Fix hinges onto garage door

3) Slide top hinge onto pin after lubricating, and secure bottom hinge to van with posidrive screw removed earlier

4) Replace the 10mm pop rivits, the pop rivits I had were 14mm and I felt these were too long, so I removed the head from the stem, and cut to size with a junior hacksaw and the stem re-inserted in the modified head.

5) Wipe down, touch up with tipex where chipped and have a nice cuppa.

I wont bore you with how I fixed the habitation door catch :)

Hope this was of use.

Ian

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
An interesting first post. Well done, keep them coming and welcome to the fun:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having removed the hinge, immersing in a bath of vinegar for 24-48hrs would have released it. Works every time even on seized brake cyl's always make sure you clean all vinegar off afterwards.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Had you tried Plus Gas ?

Brilliant stuff, recommended to me by an engineer at BAe years ago. If it's good enough for repairing military aircraft it's good enough the me.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Roger you should have told him about vinegar before :thumb::ROFLMAO:
May I second Jim's thoughts cracking :ROFLMAO:
terry

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Problem: Seized garage door hinge on 2004 CI Carioca 656

2) Get cardboard and make vice protectors with it, I used spent toilet roll cardboard as I felt it was apt when working on this van :)

Love it!! :roflmto:

Gill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

redpis

Free Member
Mar 8, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the comments and tips, I will have to make sure I dont spray Plus Gas on my chips :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for the comments and tips, I will have to make sure I dont spray Plus Gas on my chips :)

You'd never be constipated again.

I will admit even Plus Gas can fail - doing a repair for my daughter I ended up with a plastic panel captive nut and screw I had to break out, PG failed.

20 seconds of micro blow torch and it almost unscrewed itself. Of course it might not have done without 24 hours of PG.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back