Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Can you remember the cost of things when you were young?
I can remember fish and chips being 7d for a fish and 3d for chips wi' bits on. I think.

Any others?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Farthing ,silver sixpence, threepeny bit,got afew sets of old money :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• fartning.jpg
    fartning.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Shilling.jpg
    Shilling.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 6d.jpg
    6d.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 3d.png
    3d.png
    99 KB · Views: 6
  • silver 3d.jpg
    silver 3d.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 5
  • florin.png
    florin.png
    99.5 KB · Views: 5

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Portion of "Scrbbles" hapence
Black jacks a farthing each
Woodbines 5 for 1 shilling
Dominos 3 for 6 d

domino,s ciggies?
I remember buying 2 dominos for threepenny bit on way to school and bought the other two the next day. They also did tuppenny masters.

OP
OP
parknride

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
domino,s ciggies?
I remember buying 2 dominos for threepenny bit on way to school and bought the other two the next day. They also did tuppenny masters.
What is a tuppenny master?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
pint of bitter 1' 10d
the 'black jacks' & ' fruit salads' were 4 for a 1d , so a farthing each but farthings didn't exist even when I was young.lol
I use to help out on a Paraffin round on a Saturday. Think it was a shilling a gallon for Esso Blue....

Yes I always laugh here that paraffin used to be as cheap as chips & here you buy it in the supermarkets for the heaters & it is about 8 x the price of petrol !! about 40€ for 5 litres.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
It would be over 55 years ago that both a Mars bar and a Crunchie were 4 old pence. The Crunchie, I remember, if you were clever with your teeth you could easily chip off all the chocolate round the honeycomb bar. Nowadays, two licks and the chocolate would be gone.

Can't remember when but I recall my late Dad saying "I wish he'd put cigarettes up in the budget to £1 a packet then I would give up." What are they now about £8 a pack of 20.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Jubbly, from the fridge or frozen, 4d. Frido vinyl footballs which moved all over the place like today's professional balls and burst quite often, about 6s 9d, expensive for us kids until an older brother joined in and bought a new one. (y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

I remember going to Saturday morning pictures at Barnet Odeon. Had a shilling (that's 5p kids) which was enough to buy some sweets or a 'jubbly' and get in to see the film(s).

Also, what about when Lucozade was not a trendy energy drink but came in a glass bottle wrapped in orange cellophane, you drank it when you were poorly. Lucozade ad slogan was 'aids recovery'.

Nostalgias not what it used to be is it?

Paul

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Hi

I remember going to Saturday morning pictures at Barnet Odeon. Had a shilling (that's 5p kids) which was enough to buy some sweets or a 'jubbly' and get in to see the film(s).

Also, what about when Lucozade was not a trendy energy drink but came in a glass bottle wrapped in orange cellophane, you drank it when you were poorly. Lucozade ad slogan was 'aids recovery'.

Nostalgias not what it used to be is it?

Paul

Perhaps we sat together or we threw cans at each other.! I use to live in Barnet from time to time in the 50s ( 41 Mays Lane ) and often went to the Odeon just down the road!! :emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::emo::wait:

Deleted User
Remember chips being 3d but then leaped to 6d for some reason that was in the mid 50's.Around 1965 could get a fish for 10d at the chippy and a pint of Federation(think that's what it was called) mild for 1s 1 &1/2d(6p) in the working men's club. Dutton's light mild in the pub was 1s 6d (7& half pence).

I can remember things like that but can't remember what I did yesterday :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When I was 17
Pint of GL Cider 2 bob old money (10pence now)
3 gallons of petrol for a quid in my old Morros Minor got me to work and back for a week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back