TESCO to charge £10 to enter their stores!!!! (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Although I don't like paying I can understand the need. Tesco's etc own their shops and we pay for their running costs through the goods we buy. Motorhome shows ( and others) are on showgrounds that need to be maintained, staffed and need to make running profits. Traders and stands pay a lot of money to be there, and visitors, many of whom do not buy anything at all, should help out by keeping those traders costs down, that helps to keep their prices down and also to encourage more traders to attend. Something like a fiver each for entry seems fair to me.

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Probably because we choose to. I've yet to see anyone forced :D
Exactly, if you don't like the idea of having to pay £10 then don't go that is your right. Unfortunately those same rights don't exist with the BBC licence as you have to pay that whether you want to watch the BBC or not.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
With any exhibition/show (not necessarily motorhome related) the promoter has to hire a venue, arrange advertising, administer exhibitor and visitor bookings, arrange insurance & security and run the event itself. Many of those items will include paying staff.
Promoters only make a profit if they attract sufficient exhibitors & visitors and don't pay too much for the venue &c.
I've known some successful events (not motorhome related) fold because venue owners charge too much and/or place unreasonable constraints on promoters. I've also seen failure because promoters got one or more of their jobs wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Exactly, if you don't like the idea of having to pay £10 then don't go that is your right. Unfortunately those same rights don't exist with the BBC licence as you have to pay that whether you want to watch the BBC or not.
What has the BBC to do with this thread? We have to pay for education even if we don't have children and the NHS even if we don't fall sick and that is just as irrelevant to this thread.

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
I don't expect any of you would pay £10 to go into any supermarket!

Why do we pay to go into a large shopping areas.

Which are called motor home shows?

colyboy

It pays for all those foreigners in hi vis jackets sorting out the parking....

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
What has the BBC to do with this thread? We have to pay for education even if we don't have children and the NHS even if we don't fall sick and that is just as irrelevant to this thread.
Not at all the same the BBC is an outdated left wing institution and the funding thereof a ridiculous throwback to another time. If they want to fund a state organisation like the BBC it should either be done through general taxation or not at all. If the BBC existence stopped tomorrow there would be no repercussions whatsoever, nor would life be any different for the general public. You cannot say that about schooling or the NHS.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Exactly, if you don't like the idea of having to pay £10 then don't go that is your right.
Exact. Individual supermarket chains could never do it, because their rivals wouldn't! If you have an area of multiple choice, and local competition, then charges for such things are laughable. Shows, however, are a different aspect.

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not at all the same the BBC is an outdated left wing institution and the funding thereof a ridiculous throwback to another time. If they want to fund a state organisation like the BBC it should either be done through general taxation or not at all. If the BBC existence stopped tomorrow there would be no repercussions whatsoever, nor would life be any different for the general public. You cannot say that about schooling or the NHS.
It might be left wing but it's not outdated or it would be the only public broadcaster in the world.
If funding were to be through general taxation, rather than a licence fee, then even more people would have to pay for it, like it or not.
There would be repercussions in that all TV would be commercial instead of a mix. Whilst that would make no difference to some people it would to others who are part of the "general public".

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Not at all the same the BBC is an outdated left wing institution and the funding thereof a ridiculous throwback to another time. If they want to fund a state organisation like the BBC it should either be done through general taxation or not at all. If the BBC existence stopped tomorrow there would be no repercussions whatsoever, nor would life be any different the general public. You cannot say that about schooling or the NHS.

I agree with Graham. Please don't hijack the thread. BBC has nothing to do with it. Create a seperate thread if you wish to talk about other matters.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm confused. Can't find anything online about Tesco £10 charge ( for parking? Or to shop?)
Or does it mean Tesco is organising a motorhome show at £10 entry ? ( not likely I'd have thought) This is what b****** gardening does to my brain......

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I'm confused. Can't find anything online about Tesco £10 charge ( for parking? Or to shop?)
Or does it mean Tesco is organising a motorhome show at £10 entry ? ( not likely I'd have thought) This is what b****** gardening does to my brain......
Tesco has started selling flowers for £10, you can park free if collecting four bags, (or more), of John Dipdicks Fuller Fertilizer, Motorhome shows are giving away free summer seeds, and the BBC charge you £145 to let your head become a potted geranium. (y)(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Tesco has started selling flowers for £10, you can park free if collecting four bags, (or more), of John Dipdicks Fuller Fertilizer, Motorhome shows are giving away free summer seeds, and the BBC charge you £145 to let your head become a potted geranium. (y)(y)
I knew there was a rational explanation somewhere.

Sorry, you need to subscribe to see this content. Subs are £20 a year. You Can Subscribe Here

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The promoters have to pay a fee to hire the facility at which the show is held. They are not there selling goods to the public who attend. They sublet to traders who sell products to the public. It is a commercial risk that they can attract both enough traders and enough public to attend to make it a success.

If you don't like paying a modest fee to go then don't go and stop being a miserable old git on here. Lots of us like to go and are happy to pay the fee to attend a successful show! If someone didn't organise shows then we would stuck traipsing around our local dealerships getting to look at and buy what we want. Having it all in one place saves a lot of travelling around and makes it a great few days if you also go and camp for the weekend.

I can't believe you begrudge such a modest fee to attend a good show! Skinflint! You are on a motorhome forum with the cost of motorhomes and you begrudge a modest fee! Greedy and selfish I reckon - on your part - not the organisers!

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie

I can understand some people's complaints about the BBC licence fee at £145, we have been very lucky we bought ours in 1973 they were a lot cheaper to buy in those days:whistle:(y):getmecoat:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The owners of the facility get the money. Not the show organisers.
I think they do or Warners would not be doing it for fun, and they charge all and everyone.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I can understand some people's complaints about the BBC licence fee at £145, we have been very lucky we bought ours in 1973 they were a lot cheaper to buy in those days:whistle:(y):getmecoat:
My Brother dies in March and they took the money for his licence by DD in April, because I couldn't get into the bank account to stop it and the other things. and it a hell of a job to try and get it back from them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back