SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Well, we've had 3 short trips in the new van but head for Scotland on Sunday. We've now got 2 batteries, folding solar panel and a couple of gas bottles so should be prepared for anything Heading up the west coast and back down the east, have a couple of sites booked but plan a 3 night stay somewhere on Skye.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We did the same a year ago, bought the van in December 2013, couple of overnights to the dealers to get some snagging done, then our first real trip was 3 months or so going round Scotland.
You'll have a fantastic time - we certainly did!
[And you start to learn some of the questions, if not always the answers!]

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you will be addicted (or never go back), great time of year to go,

we love it any time of year, but by May / June you get so much daylight (plus midges)

hope you have a great time, do post on here with updates and photos when you can (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
Hope you have a brill time :LOL:, we love Scotland any time of year (y) but as said from another funster watch out for them midges ( rottweilers with wings ) take some skin so soft from avon its great stuff. Mew & Mick

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Smidge (used to be called EcoGuard when under development)
http://midgeforecast.co.uk/home
Acts like an invisible forcefield & holds 'em at bay about 10 cms away from you (well, that's how it works for me anyway). Without it I'm a crying, screaming, claustrophobic wreck in midgie/ mozzie/ flying ant/ midge seasons.
Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2015
geordie land
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Delaware
Exp
1980's
well it definitely works on me, I get eaten alive, and I've tried all kinds. It was recommended to me years ago by a dry stone waller, and all his mates that do outside work that had called him for smelling so sweet, soon changed there tune when they found it really did work.. Hope it works (y)

Upvote 0

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Skin so soft does work which is just as well, great weather this week brought some of them out yesterday but, tonight's drop in temperature and the increasing wind should shift the little beggars!

Upvote 0
Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
If you get the chance try and visit the Isle of Islay , it has one of the most beautiful sites in the world at Kintra , plus eight distilleries .

Upvote 0

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
Have a great trip, we love scotland and go as often as possible, especially the west coast. We find if you stick to he Coast rather than inland lochs we're not bothered by midges but we do have the skin so soft on board just in case.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SteveG

SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
From past trips were not expecting the wee little beasties to be a problem at this time of year and we're keeping to the coast mostly

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Well, we've had 3 short trips in the new van but head for Scotland on Sunday. We've now got 2 batteries, folding solar panel and a couple of gas bottles so should be prepared for anything Heading up the west coast and back down the east, have a couple of sites booked but plan a 3 night stay somewhere on Skye.

Hope you enjoy, just a little info that may be of use to you, we were told before we did our first tour of Scotland, it`s a better route visual wise going up the East Coast, across the top and then returning via the West coast.

Far too many places to tell you about that are just idyllic so just study the map, take a camera and enjoy your exploring, we`ve just got back from the Mull of Galloway fantastic and so often missed by people driving straight past, amazing it is so far west you are looking at the other side of the I.O.M.

Also the East coast doesn`t have the midges.

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Enjoy Steve, we're going up there at the end of May and now I'm a bit concerned about these 'ere midges, I seem to be a magnet for anything like that and resemble Charlie Brown's mate who always had a cloud around his head if I go near water, guess I better get something for that then :whistle:

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Enjoy Steve, we're going up there at the end of May and now I'm a bit concerned about these 'ere midges, I seem to be a magnet for anything like that and resemble Charlie Brown's mate who always had a cloud around his head if I go near water, guess I better get something for that then :whistle:
End of May into June is the start of the midge season and the love than sweet southern blood - in fact they love any blood - especially on the West Coast. I'm from Aberdeen and those on the East Coast tend not to bite but on occasion they turn vicious - perhaps returning from some time with their western brothers, They are worse around sunrise and sunset we have found.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2014
Putney, London
Funster No
MH
Still Just Looking :-(
Exp
Skin so soft does work which is just as well, great weather this week brought some of them out yesterday but, tonight's drop in temperature and the increasing wind should shift the little beggars!
Whereabouts in Argyll are you? Lovely scenery! I used to do the Scottish Rally Championship years ago and bounced off a few of the Forestry Commission roads on the Argyll stages, Never really enjoyed it as there were rock faces on one side and drops on the other. Have an in car video from 1993 and when I watch it now it scares me sh*tless. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back