Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a snooper s6000 that needs a map update, £99 for 1 or £140 for lifetime updates. ...or we can buy a new Chinese sat nav for around £50 with lifetime map updates. ..or we can download an app like sygic which would make using motorhome parking app work without copying coords and inserting them into a sat nav for £140...
The former 2 has 7 inch screens the tablet has 8.4 inch screen.
Which would be the best choice?
The snooper is 5 years old now.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Of those choices I would go for the Chinese sat nav. We've had a Noza Tec for about 15 months and it has been fine bar the odd software crash which just required a restart. We've just bought the Garmin from Aldi so it's now reserve until No 1 son finds out and nicks it :)

I decided not to buy Snooper several years ago after talking to them at the NEC. One reason was that they don't allow users to add their own POI sets, no good to me when I had several I've put together, including my MH parking set with over 1600 records.

I had a look at Sygic on a Samsung Tab 2 7 inch but wasn't impressed compared to the Noza Tec.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Of those choices I would go for the Chinese sat nav. We've had a Noza Tec for about 15 months and it has been fine bar the odd software crash which just required a restart. We've just bought the Garmin from Aldi so it's now reserve until No 1 son finds out and nicks it :)

I decided not to buy Snooper several years ago after talking to them at the NEC. One reason was that they don't allow users to add their own POI sets, no good to me when I had several I've put together, including my MH parking set with over 1600 records.

I had a look at Sygic on a Samsung Tab 2 7 inch but wasn't impressed compared to the Noza Tec.
Thanks for that, which one was that our do you have a link please?
does it have facility for coords search please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
I was in a similar situation with my 5 year Snooper Ventura 2000n. Like yours £140 for lifetime map updates. The unit has been faultless . I spoke to Snooper and as well as the map updates it also updates the map layout and the road layout is much clearer. They did advise the new mapping would need at least a 4 gig Sd card which mine had. It usually takes about 2 hours to do the updates.
As a back up I also bought a £43 Chinese which as others have said are a very good for the price.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
I have a snoopy,
Just used it to get from Deal to Chester,and back again,slightly out on some roads,but I like the man who talks to me,telling me I have gone wrong,love to tell him to shut up!! Will go were I want to go:party2::swear2:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for that, which one was that our do you have a link please?
does it have facility for coords search please?
If you search for 7 inch truck sat nav on eBay there are several BIN offers with a range of prices depending on amount of storage and other bits offered. The one I (and several others) bought was from Navibuzz using the Pnavi and Noza Tec brands but most now seem to be branded Xgody. It appears that they are all basically the same basic Windows CE tablet and iGo software but with different amounts of storage on board and/or on a card.

You can enter co-ordinates as well as post codes and addresses (and POIs to go direct of course).

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you search for 7 inch truck sat nav on eBay there are several BIN offers with a range of prices depending on amount of storage and other bits offered. The one I (and several others) bought was from Navibuzz using the Pnavi and Noza Tec brands but most now seem to be branded Xgody. It appears that they are all basically the same basic Windows CE tablet and iGo software but with different amounts of storage on board and/or on a card.

You can enter co-ordinates as well as post codes and addresses (and POIs to go direct of course).
My Clarion runs the IGO Primo software absolutely brilliant.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Hello

I had a very similar dilemma, see this thread.

I went for a cheapo truck sat nav at £36.00 (eBay). It works fine and has iGo Primo mapping (very clear). You can see details in the above thread.

Don't waste your money on an expensive set when the £36.00 kit will do the job.

There is one clitch though...the speed alerts seem to be spoken in Russian! I've no idea why as the language is set to English but the point is you still know that there is a speed check coming up. :)

Would I pay another £300.00 to correct this? No, I've now become quite fond of my Russian lady friend.

Also, where do you imagine that the Garmin and Tom Tom sets are made?

KH

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Also learning a bit of Russian! Might come in handy.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sygic can be had with full European mapping and lifetime updates for about £30.

We have it on my Galaxy S5 and Tesco Hudl, along with Campercontact.

The apps work seemlessly together and perform perfectly on both devices. We have found the Galaxy preferable to the Hudl in that the device is a little quicker and it mounts to the dash more conveniently.
Having said that, the Hudl has navigated us successfully through Europe and the UK with no issues.

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I like the Sygic on my Lenovo Android tablet but find it wonders off road. I guess it's because the satalite signal gets weaker in places. Any ideas?. I still prefer my TomTom though.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Also learning a bit of Russian! Might come in handy.

Never had a Russian or any other lady tell me to slow down always the converse! lol

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Copilot Live is all the satnav we need, proper professional well established software. Cheap and will run on an appropriate ( with GPS ) £50 tablet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back