No power to sockets after fitting inverter (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys
Had an Dometic 200w inverter/charger and B2B charger fitted yesterday.
Got home to find that if the inverter is switched off there is no power to the 240V sockets, even when connected to the mains.
The 240V supply is working, because the boiler is working
The sockets do work when the inverter is switched on - but I expected them to work when connected to the mains with the inverter switched off

Trying to contact the fitters - but no reply (as its Saturday)

Going away tomorrow, so this could not have happened at a worse time

Any ideas?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Follow the outgoing cable from the inverter
Where does it go?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Follow the outgoing cable from the inverter
Where does it go?
The inverter is next to the leisure batteries.
The cables go from there under the floor and into the back of the Sargent

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
You say an inverter/charger?
Is the charger turned on

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Seems to me that you meant 2000watt UPS inverter charger
If that's the case it should be turned on and if on mains it will feed the sockets direct through and if off mains from the inverter
All switches on

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The fitter has presumed you want to use all the sockets off of the inverter and diverted the socket feed away from the Sargent to the inverter

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Apologies if this is slightly off the point, but having just read the Waeco Inverter Charger notes on their website, I am left wondering why!
The blurb states:
"The intelligent combination of inverter and automatic charger monitors the input mains voltage and reacts to the specific situation. This is how it supports the limited power capacity of external energy sources using battery power."
Since when was an external mains supply more limited than battery power?

A quick scan through the installation and user manuals (Waeco website) suggests that it is a pretty complex piece of kit. Under troubleshooting, it says if there is no power at the 230V output, check it is switched on. The installation manual states that the output must not be connected to any other source so I would suggest that it is bypassing the previously installed Sargent unit - in fact, the description of the Waeco product suggests that it is, in effect, a replacement for the Sargent.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks for the input guys
Electrics really are not my thing - much prefer plumbing
Will report back as soon as I've spoken to the installer
Hopefully it's just a case of user error or not having the finer points explained clearly enough
Off to the Netherlands tomorrow so will give it a good try out!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Update....
I spoke to the installer to confirmed that the unit is a combined;
Inverter
4 stage battery charger
Power support unit (UPS)

It will do any of those things individually or in combination (which is how my unit is set up)
It can be configured to suit your particular requirements
As such it needs to be switched on all the time, because it constantly monitors the incoming supply an 'tops it up' if needed to suit the load in the van
As such the 240V circuit is run by the unit and when switched off, there will be no power to the sockets.
Furthermore the 240V indicator on my power control panel will no longer illuminate when connected to 240V
However there is an indicator on the control panel of the combi unit which shows when its connected to the mains

Seems like its going to be a great piece of kit - and with a bit more explaining than I got on collection, I'm a lot happier about how it works

Will see how we get on over the coming weeks and 'tweek' the set up as required.

Thanks for all your input guys - very much appreciated as ever!

Last edited by a moderator:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Apologies if this is slightly off the point, but having just read the Waeco Inverter Charger notes on their website, I am left wondering why!
The blurb states:
"The intelligent combination of inverter and automatic charger monitors the input mains voltage and reacts to the specific situation. This is how it supports the limited power capacity of external energy sources using battery power."
Since when was an external mains supply more limited than battery power?.

If for example the 240 volt site supply has limited amperage capacity or trips the inverter will supply additional power using the batteries, this will then be replenished from the hook up supply.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back