Conversion from 7 way Pollak to "N" socket (1 Viewer)

si sketch and sheryle

Free Member
Sep 18, 2008
Funster No
Hi everybody.

I wish to take off the Pollak 7 Way towing electrics socket from my imported F250 and replace with a standard UK "N" socket. The trouble is that when looking on the US websites, I am getting two versions of the wiring configerations.

Cable Colour Version 1
White - Ground
Green - Right indicator
Yellow - Left indicator
Black - + 12v
Brown - Running lights
Blue - Electric Brakes
Red/Orange - Auxillary

Cable Colour Version 2
White - Ground
Green - Running lights
Yellow - Auxillary
Black - + 12V
Brown - Right indicator
Blue - Electric brakes
Red/Orange - Left indicator

The indication on the Pollak plug top is that it is wired as per version 1 above - however which is correct?

Also beside the Pollak connector there is a 4 way flat moulded connector - what is this for?

There is no provision for reversing or fog light and i wonder how this is accomodated?

Does anyone know or can help? Many thanks

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
easiest thing to do is invest in a cheap multi tester.

connect one probe to chassis/known earth point and , in turn, turn on each light and probe the existing socket to see which pin/tube becomes live....note the wire colour then move on to the next function.

fool proof :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
easiest thing to do is invest in a cheap multi tester.

connect one probe to chassis/known earth point and , in turn, turn on each light and probe the existing socket to see which pin/tube becomes live....note the wire colour then move on to the next function.

fool proof :thumb:

I was going to suggest the same.. if you haven't got a multimeter use a 12v lamp with a couple of wires soldered on to it .. easier to see than a multi meter .. and simpler to use..

Sometimes I prefer using a lamp when fault finding.. unlike a meter it pulls a load and will help identify poor connections which you might miss using a meter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
Don't quote me I may be wrong but I thought the flat connector was the power for fridge/freezer to supply 12v for when travelling (because of size of American fridge/freezer to much power draw for conventional plug socket).Hopefully someone will come along & put us both right.:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Not much help but a caution..

I've got a 98 ZJ Jeep, UK spec etc came with UK tow bar etc. Plugged in our trailer, known good/correctly wired electrics and, all OK except, indicators on relevant tail light flashed, ie right ind and tail flash yet left tail just on, typical of American vehicles in some States/or maybe just older vehicles don't quote me. 'Fiddled' with wirring and found who ever had wired had used the American trailer block/connector on the chassis which was wired for the flashing ind and tail as above hence wrong for here. Back to basics and popped lights off and picked up feeds direct, one to watch maybe and easier identified by the above mentioned bulb method.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
I take it the truck has been converted to UK wiring specs??

You should have an after market foglight and the indicators at the back should flash yellow with no effect on the tail/brake lights??

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Have pulled this drawing off the workshop manual for my Lightning. Not sure if its any good for the F250 but it might help :thumb:

Andy - V8 Diesel

Free Member
Sep 3, 2008
Manchester
Funster No
MH
30ft 5th wheel
Hi everybody.

I wish to take off the Pollak 7 Way towing electrics socket from my imported F250 and replace with a standard UK "N" socket. The trouble is that when looking on the US websites, I am getting two versions of the wiring configerations.

Cable Colour Version 1
White - Ground
Green - Right indicator
Yellow - Left indicator
Black - + 12v
Brown - Running lights
Blue - Electric Brakes
Red/Orange - Auxillary

Cable Colour Version 2
White - Ground
Green - Running lights
Yellow - Auxillary
Black - + 12V
Brown - Right indicator
Blue - Electric brakes
Red/Orange - Left indicator

The indication on the Pollak plug top is that it is wired as per version 1 above - however which is correct?

Also beside the Pollak connector there is a 4 way flat moulded connector - what is this for?

There is no provision for reversing or fog light and i wonder how this is accomodated?

Does anyone know or can help? Many thanks

Hi there here is a good web site for american vehicles plugs,harness adapters and wiring help.

Home :: Hopkins Towing Solutions

i used this site when changing my plugs over also used a test lamp:thumb::thumb:
One thing i did change with not having any fog lamps on my trailer i used that terminal for the electric brakes on the trailer:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back