Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Burton, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Self build/Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2011
Hi, I've just joined and hope to be a regular on the forum. We have an "ongoing" Vauxhall Movano self build, which is our second camper conversion. We like to wild camp and have been as far north as the Isle of Sky, South into Cornwall, East in Norfolk and West to Shropshire over the last 4 years. The main reason we started campervaning (is that even a word?) was to reduce the cost of our annual trip to the Isle of Man, for the TT races every June.

Pete, oh and Cathy ;-)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi and welcome from East Sussex :welc:
There are a few self builders on here. Ralph-n-Bev are building one now if you want to do a search. Ralph is making a great job (y)(y)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello from us two too. Welcome to the forum.
We are converting a peugeot Boxer .
I say we, I mean Ralph.:laughing:
He's a builder by trade , and has never done anything like this before. But he's loving doing it all. He's also very glad the kitchen maker , he'd pencilled in to do the job, gave backword.

Ours won't be properly finished till the back end of May , all being well. That's when the upholstery is being done. The only thing he isn't doing !
We shall be taking Pug out for the first time to Whitby Goth weekend , with the funsters.
Here's a link to the build, if you've done a self build , you may be interested.
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/rb-panel-van-conversion-begins.100614/

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Hello and :welc:

I have a 'not self build' conversion. A Funster converted it for me and it's perfect for me and the 2 dogs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mad_Sunday

Mad_Sunday

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Burton, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Should have bought a boat, only way I can see that involves TT from here with the words "reduce cost".

Well I did the maths in 2010... Bike (Hayabusa) and 2 passengers ferry cost, £250, Home stay B&B £25 pppn for 10 nights = £500. Then add food and drink, probably another £500 minimum, Dog in kennels another £100
Total using the bike, £1350 minimum.

Taking the van with 2 passengers £500, less the cost of the dog in kennels = £400, Full load of food and beer £100 (from cheaper supermarket in UK), A few nights in the pub, and a few meals £250ish. Total using van (wild camping or staying at Sulby Glen campsite, which is FREE!) £750

No contest :) and no, we don't miss the bike while over there.

Pete & Cathy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
hello and welcome.jpg

I rather dispute that Isle of Skye is north though..... :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No contest :) and no, we don't miss the bike while over there.

Pete & Cathy

Go on, admit it, course you do, a bit. Grand bike, aggressive, violent, evil and that's just looking at it. How you keep your licence is a mystery to me, it's hard enough on my pathetic 60 bhp of Strom which has exceeded all expectations.

If you look in Groups you'll find a bike racing group, destined to have many more posts after this mega weekend.

OP
OP
Mad_Sunday

Mad_Sunday

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Burton, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Go on, admit it, course you do, a bit. Grand bike, aggressive, violent, evil and that's just looking at it. How you keep your licence is a mystery to me, it's hard enough on my pathetic 60 bhp of Strom which has exceeded all expectations.

If you look in Groups you'll find a bike racing group, destined to have many more posts after this mega weekend.

It's in the garage, BUT, I've done a deal for the old girl and "downsized" to an Aprilia Shiver (750cc 95hp V twin and naked/little screen) which I should have had today (the shop is still awaiting service parts), because you're right, I don't know how I've kept my license ;-) and at 60 it's "probably" too much bike? I'll give the bike racing group a look too :)
Oh, and we "might" be able to get the 'prilia in the van!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Hello :hi: Alan & I met at the TTs in 1985, we looked into going with the kids for our 10th anniversary but couldn't believe the cost so we didn't bother.

OP
OP
Mad_Sunday

Mad_Sunday

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Burton, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2011
Hello :hi: Alan & I met at the TTs in 1985, we looked into going with the kids for our 10th anniversary but couldn't believe the cost so we didn't bother.

Wow, that's a coincidence, Cathy and I met at the TT in 2001 (no racing that year due to foot and mouth) we've been every year since :) This will be our 15th.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Oh, and we "might" be able to get the 'prilia in the van!

Yorik takes his GSXR1000 in his when instructing on track days.

I had an ER6n before the Strom, I fitted a Powerbronze screen because it was painful on motorways, the screen revolutionised it. Then it got written off. Porsche 1 : ER6n 0.

I'm afraid it's getting to pay up time for you or you'll not be able to post but well worth a mere tenner.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Welcome Pete and Cathy from :france:
I am also a TT regular for 30 years,this year first time not going for ages,we always book the next year when we arrive on the Island but my best mates wife has Alzheimer's and the dates we were offered we're too long for him to be away.
Upside,both a mobile home in Portugal and going to World Supers in Portimao instead,a change,but not the same.enjoy your van and your racing,we do have a dedicated thread for bike sport on here,see you there.

M&A

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Near Andover
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
4 years
I'm amazed there are so many bikers on a motorhome forum... I've been a biker all of my life, currently riding a KTM SMT990 after years of sports bikes (Ducati's, Aprilia RSV's plus all of the usual Japanese superbikes). Also have a Honda NSR250 that I'm restoring or converting to a track bike, haven't quite decided which yet. Bought the KTM to slow me down a bit - and then got my first speeding ticket in 20 years within the first month of owning it...

Hoping to get to Le Mans for the MotoGP while we are in France next month.

I'm obviously in good company here :D

M&A

Free Member
Apr 9, 2015
Near Andover
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
4 years
Oops -sorry - meant to say "welcome" on that last post... got carried away with biking matters!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back