Ski Aires (1 Viewer)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Alpe d’Huez. Large, sunny aire with mountain views, at the centre of the Rousses ski area. Lifts, shops and restaurants 300 metres. Credit card, barrier entry system, WC.
Les Gets. Easy UK access to this inexpensive aire on the edge of a pretty village in the vast Portes du Soleil domain, lift adjacent. Resort offers weekend ski deal.
La Rosière. Stunning panoramic views from this aire, despite slightly scruffy appearance. Pleasant intermediate resort linked with La Thuile in Italy. Free, but tokens for services €10.
Super Dévoluy. Small, purpose-built family ski resort in southern Alps. Pleasant snowshoe walks from the small, sunny aire. No charge, except €2 for services, free resort Wi-Fi.
La Plagne. Sunny, piste-side aire operating credit card, barrier-entry system. Extensive Alpine skiing. Tourist Office, restaurants and good Spar nearby.
Les Menuires. Best option in vast Three Valleys domain, if a bit shady. Piste is 200 yards. Credit card, barrier-entry system. Daytime tub lift to shops and sports centre.
Monêtier. Dedicated motorhome parking in Serre Chevalier ski area. Small fee collected nightly. Free service borne. 300 metres to lifts or to village with thermal spa.
Les Saisies. Large, sunny, crescent-shaped aire adjacent to excellent Nordic skiing and Alpine domain of Espace Diamant. Car park-style ticket machine.
Valloire. Operated by Camping-Car Park, whose model includes services, Wi-Fi and battery recharging. A short walk to town with bakery. Alpine and Nordic skiing.
Montgenèvre. This is motorhome skiing heaven at a vast aire close to the Italian border. Extensive Alpine and Nordic skiing, and there’s also a luge run. There is a new sports centre under construction. A credit card barrier-entry system operates.
Top tips for motorhome holidays in the French Alps
Arrive before the weekend to aires within a short drive of cities
Establish in advance what facilities are available
Have a back-up plan in case the aire is full when you arrive
Avoid the French school holidays, ie most of February, to be sure of a place
Take a supply of €1 and €2 coins for service bornes and a credit card
Stock up with basics, gas and fuel in the valley
Top up perishables in the resort and give local businesses some custom
Take a long hook-up lead and additional water containers
Don’t leave home without a generator and snow chains
Fit a Wi-Fi booster or 3G aerial and Mi-Fi as resorts usually have internet
A nearby swimming pool is a bonus for aching muscles and a shower!

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Les Deux Alpes in the coach carpark at the entrance to the resort. Toilets and hook up if required. Last Easter 8 Euros without leccie...12 with. Beautiful views. Pay with card only and the police check regularly. Usual French town with all amenities.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
La Bresse Haute-Vosges region France, North car park at La Bresse Hohneck next to Vologne express. 15 vans parked alongside in March 2015 my second visit this season, no parking problems despite sign at entrance stating no parking between 10;00pm and 07;00am this is to keep away travellers. you do need to check snow conditions though as a very short season. toilets available, ski hire shop and Boutique. large restaurant big fire in middle plenty of seating and viewing if you wish to rest undercover. Night skiing and taboggan runs .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Les Rousses, Point De La Balancier.

50 yards from the lift, flot bleau, restaurant and ski shop on site.
Low at 1000m, but a pleasant small ski area. Access to Switzerland via the lifts with fantastic panoramic views over Lake Geneva.
The aire is free.

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
Les Rousses, Point De La Balancier.

50 yards from the lift, flot bleau, restaurant and ski shop on site.
Low at 1000m, but a pleasant small ski area. Access to Switzerland via the lifts with fantastic panoramic views over Lake Geneva.
The aire is free.

Last time i visited the electric hook up was free. I understand this was to encourage motorhomers to visit the site.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Last time i visited the electric hook up was free. I understand this was to encourage motorhomers to visit the site.

We've always been encouraged, but not this year. There wasn't any snow!!!!

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Can anyone give any info on the Valloire aire? How close is it to the slopes?

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Answering my own question
Its Valloire les Verneys
Anyone tried this?

OP
OP
B-well
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
72f0357e-323f-4a20-a98a-b079051de12b
les Deux alps aire feb 2017

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just to add....the free aire at Les Saisies is worth considering, especially as the free shuttle bus stops right outside!

Short walk to slopes from parking.

Service point just down the hill opposite the campsite €2.

Having paid to park like sardines in the main aire on several occasions the free aire is by far the better option in my view.

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Morning! We have just returned from a fantastic week in the Arlberg, staying at the site in Pettneu. We are very keen to go away again for the Easter holiday, however, we want to try France and the aires this time. Any suggestions as to good aires in 'snow sure' areas would be much appreciated.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Alpe d huez ...... lovely place nice aire ..... lovely snow loads of ski ing easy and challenging

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Can anyone give any info on the Valloire aire? How close is it to the slopes?
Hi. The aire is about 50 meters from the main lift at Les Verneys. Ski hire, Boulanger and cafe all adjacent, though it is 4-5 km from the actual town centre. Regular free navette from the aire down to town. Very nice spot:)

WildThingsKev

Free Member
Feb 28, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090
Exp
Since 2009
I'm at Valloire at the moment in the Les Verneys car park, and it is snowing heavily! It's a good spot just a few hundred metres from one of the quickest and least busy lifts, quiet at night and with a variety of good walking routes too. The free shuttle bus runs every 15 minutes or else it's a 30-40 minute walk down a nice footpath to town which is itself very nice.

We bought early season tickets for €286 in October, absolute bargain, and have been here and roundabouts since early January. I still haven't been on all the pistes. Maximum lift queues were 6-8 minutes over the last 2 weeks, otherwise nil or 2 minutes, pistes pretty empty 12 til 2.

The aire itself has a free eurorelais borne and is on gravel but gets muddy in the recent high temperatures. The peak 2 weeks of half term required booking but it's been half empty the rest of the time.

At weekends there have been up to 6 or 7 vans parked in the adjacent carparks.

I've been to all the aires in B-Wells original post (except Montgenevre) and this is one of the most convenient. There is also one at Vars which is very good and free.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back