Free Member
Feb 28, 2015
Woodbridge, suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sandhurst
Exp
im a newbie
Hi all, I realise this question is like the proverbial piece of string and has many variables, but approximately what is your budget for full time motorhoming, assuming that your on the move a few times a week. Im trying to get some sort of idea as im new to the game. I have an autosleeper sandhurst, and I am interested in how much it costs from week to week so I can budget accordingly.

OP
OP
S

shootingstar1954

Free Member
Feb 28, 2015
Woodbridge, suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sandhurst
Exp
im a newbie
I didnt think it would be an easy answer. Im happy with porridge for breakfast, but if I was awash with money, it would be smoked salmon on scrambled eggs with caviar thrown in ! £800 seems a lot, but I guess it depends how much driving is done.:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Budget on £15000 per year minimum To live as you would in a house...minus council tax.

Depends on how often and how far you travel between long term sites.

OP
OP
S

shootingstar1954

Free Member
Feb 28, 2015
Woodbridge, suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Sandhurst
Exp
im a newbie
Seems reasonable. Given fuel, food , fees and all associated running costs. As I said, I have no idea.. yet .. lol. We have ten days somewhere in France in june, aiming for the south really, so I could use this to work out some figures.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Your site fees will £10 a night you may even get EHU with that. Any thing less is a bonus. Then your gas two small 6k bott at £22. Each Last 30days but you could save by getting bigger ones then food n running costs . ...tax..ins which will be around £10aweek for both (500)per year .

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
I have been full time since 2009. My average gas consumption per year is 1,100 litres (550kg). Now that's a lot of bottles even 47kg ones. We fitted an under slung tank and used the gas locker for more batteries. We wild park a lot but also use CL/CS sites mainly to top up batteries after dumping waste. Quick fill up in the morning and off for more adventures. In Spain in the winter we find we need to top up the batteries once a week, despite having 240w of solar and 330Amps of battery, between December and February. Living in Spain in winter is a great saving for us all round. We used 550 litres of gas between November and mid March this year. Gas and 12v for everything. 10 euro per night hook up at Cartagena Aire or 7 euro at Calnegre Aire. Both charge extra for water and to dump. To dump and top up only at La Marina is 4 euro now, Cartagena 2 euro (100litres or 10 minutes) free dump and Calnegre 10 cents per litre and 5 euros to dump. Other Aires and Camper stops are available.

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I full timed for 21 months. I paid more or less £300 a month site fees. In the summer I could pay less and go without EHU as I had a good solar panel. The site fees were just for me.
Add on your usual food, then laundry as you'll have to pay for laundrettes, drying more frequently than in a house.
Then fuel which will vary on how far you travel.
Then your road tax and insurance. And gas bottles.

I lived very cheaply.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

We also fulltimed for three years in a 36ft RV with two children, we did a lot of touring in the UK, France, Spain, Portugal and Morocco ..we spent about £12k per year. ..
and that wasn't an extravagant lifestyle or staying on expensive sites.

Just noticed you are from Woodbridge.. we live in Alderton, if you have any more questions happy to discuss or even meet up sometime.

I suggest you join the site and have unlimited access to a wealth of information and help for only £10 per year.. there in no better motorhome forum for advice and help.

Good luck.. hope to see you posting again soon.. :)

Chrissy+John

Free Member
Aug 9, 2014
Funster No
MH
American RV
Exp
1 YR
John & i are fairly new owners of "Harvey" who is 31 ft in length & 10 ft wide, Ford Hurrican Fourwinds RV & the dream is to go full-time, but have not made the plunge yet, but hope to do it very soon. I feel very jellous Only done short trips out, getting used to the whole workings of it. The ferry trip over to these countries are quite expensive, no one has mentioned that & of course this has to be budgeted. Before we spread our wings to further afield, ie-France, Spain etc we need to find out how long the water would last and reserch Solor pannels for our electric. I must take my hat off to everyone who is allready doing it and best of luck "ShootingStar". Keep us posted

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We did a 17 week long tour of some of Europe back in 2012. Below are a few details about what we spent, copied and pasted from my blog.

Total mileage: 4389 miles (7063 kilometres)
Cost of diesel: £778.40 ( 955.78 euros)
Ferries, including meals and cabin: £155 ( 190 euros)
Everything else: £3255 (3997 euros)
Now, 'everything else' means campsite fees, electricity, food, meals out, champagne etc. The only thing not included in this is the cost of small gifts we bought.
Grand total for 17 weeks (i.e. all the above): £4188.40 (5143 euros)
That equates to £246.37 (302.51 euros) per week or £35.19 (43.20 euros) per day.
Its possible that we might have forgotten to record the occasional ice cream or coffee etc but overall the figures are fairly accurate. We think the whole thing was a bit of a bargain!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That equates to £246.37 (302.51 euros) per week

or £12.8 k per year

we spent about £12k per year. ..
and that wasn't an extravagant lifestyle or staying on expensive sites.

snap

but you're costs didn't include, Vehicle insurance and breakdown cover, VED , MOT, Servicing and maintenance

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Surely in your "budgeting" one has to discount the things one would have paid for regardless of whether one is away or at home?
So if one has a MH, the fixed costs are always there? The fuel is 'extra'.
Likewise food & drink - one has to eat. And presumably most of us make (occasional) excursions to restaurants & pubs even when at home?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Surely in your "budgeting" one has to discount the things one would have paid for regardless of whether one is away or at home?
So if one has a MH, the fixed costs are always there? The fuel is 'extra'.
Likewise food & drink - one has to eat. And presumably most of us make (occasional) excursions to restaurants & pubs even when at home?

I disagree, when you are full timing or long terming (as we hope to do) on a fixed income (i.e. pension) every penny counts. Needless to say we are very interested in this thread.

BONZO

Free Member
Mar 1, 2012
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Kon tiki 30ft
Exp
Full timing can be as little as you make it . It's all down to how you live.with sola and gas tanks on bord . And picking out good farms and privet sites it can be done . living the dream very cheepley .and if done across seas well free stop offs gas at 50p a lt . Repairs M.O.T servicing you would have any way what ever you did .its learning to live on the cheep that takes a little time . I go on rally sits £6 a night and my mate stays in one place and pays £35 a week . With your RV I would think that if you think a £1 a mile return . Will not be far out . When traveling .

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
John & i are fairly new owners of "Harvey" who is 31 ft in length & 10 ft wide, Ford Hurrican Fourwinds RV & the dream is to go full-time, but have not made the plunge yet, but hope to do it very soon.
Totally off topic, does your RV have the name Harvey on the back, and do you have a dog?

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I will be fulltiming next year and reading posts above is very helpfull,,unfortunately i will be working as well (bricklayer,builder) but i hope to be able to afford it comfortably,,do you think many people have to work who fulltime? It does seem to me that most people on here have loads of money,lol and dont have to?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
We have been fulltiming for nearly four years and have always needed to work.

Just like the motorhome truism that your junk expands to fill the available locker space, so does your monthly spending increase to match the available disposable income.

The belly lockers are always full and the bank account always empty :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back