Drivers at 70 and motorhomes over 3.5t (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
A few years to go yet but trying to think ahead. What are the rules and regs for drivers reaching 70 years old, is it a medical of some sort and away you go (if you pass)?

Is there a connection with reaching 70 and driving a m/h over 3.5 tonne. Ours is 4.6 tonnes and wondered if I would have to re-test or something?

Thanks

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
You would just have to pass a doctors medical-----My doc wanted to charge a fee of £160 ,,so I didnt bother

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If THAT ( hoovering ) is a requirement to retaining the C1 licence I do not think I will bother !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pops

Free Member
May 1, 2012
south glos
Funster No
MH
Pilote panel van
Exp
since1997
If THAT ( hoovering ) is a requirement to retaining the C1 licence I do not think I will bother !!
I think it means you can only use a dust pan and brush if you have not got a C1 licence after your seventy.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Its OK if you dont have a heart problen or not had stents, if you have then its a treadmill for ten minutes hooked up to a monitor, if you cant do a treadmill then its a radio active die injected into you plus a heart stress injection and a gamma ray scan.

Then a couple of weeks later, another radio active die injection and a further gamma ray scan

Very expensive but DVLA pay

Peter

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I got my medicals from a doctor mobile. £35. tel 07451887039. he travels the country. he will let you know when he will be near you.. he is very good . he does my hgv. med.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
I got my medicals from a doctor mobile. £35. tel 07451887039. he travels the country. he will let you know when he will be near you.. he is very good . he does my hgv. med.
When you had your med did you go to a location or did he come to you

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Its OK if you dont have a heart problen or not had stents, if you have then its a treadmill for ten minutes hooked up to a monitor, if you cant do a treadmill then its a radio active die injected into you plus a heart stress injection and a gamma ray scan.

Then a couple of weeks later, another radio active die injection and a further gamma ray scan

Very expensive but DVLA pay

Peter

When I had to have a heart "stress" test I was told about the treadmill thing by my doctor. But when I went to the hospital I was told that they are no longer allowed to do them as too many people died!
Instead it is drug induced with the "antidote"injection at the ready, interesting experience.
Lying flat on a bed nice & comfy, hooked up to machines, & within seconds you're gasping for air & feel like you're running a marrathon, very wierd.

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
As a returner, or hopefully soon to be, to the owning of a motorhome is the only extra requirement to drive one over 3500kg that you have Class C1 on your licence. I have C1 and C1E as I currently drive school 17 seater mini-buses.
This thread made me think about the current needs. Many moons ago when we last had one it was way below 3500kg. The rules may well have been different back then anyway.
I've got over 4 years to go before the dreaded 70 arrives but would be grateful for the info for making sure our search is for the right motorhome.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The medical can be done at your local surgery (Private appointment). If you go elsewhere they have to refer back to your doctor to confirm the state of your health. This can take time. Your own doctor knows your history so can confirm these details from his records.

I have a eye sight problem so went to the opticians at 69 with all of the details and sent them to DVLA medical Group to see if they considered my eyesight would be good enough. I was reassured by them that if my eyes remained the same there would be no problem. The HGV/PCV (now called class 2) medical eyesight test is more than just reading a number plate at a prescribed distance. My doctor was through, when I had my medical at 70. I had had another eyesight test at the opticians including field of view, just before and gave this to the doctor. He went through the form and it took him one hour. The licence was back inside 4 weeks.

Due again in 2016 so I was at the opticians this week to check my eyes out again. Again no change so I have no fear of the medical next April.

If you are healthy or have an under control condition the medical is no problem. If you cannot meet the standards should you really be driving at all, never mind a large vehicle.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As a returner, or hopefully soon to be, to the owning of a motorhome is the only extra requirement to drive one over 3500kg that you have Class C1 on your licence. I have C1 and C1E as I currently drive school 17 seater mini-buses.
This thread made me think about the current needs. Many moons ago when we last had one it was way below 3500kg. The rules may well have been different back then anyway.
I've got over 4 years to go before the dreaded 70 arrives but would be grateful for the info for making sure our search is for the right motorhome.

Don't you mean D1 for a minibus?

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
I've got B, BE, C1, CE, D1 and DE. I always thought the C bit was for 17 seater mini-buses but I see it's the D for mini-buses and C for 3500kg +. Looking at the government site I seem to have answered my own question.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I had a stent 24 years ago and no trouble now but I lost my career as a pilot because the CAA had no references to the new ideas(stents) end of story. However I am now able to fly again as a PPL after that time.., However My GP has said no way will he allow me to drive my Van after 70 because of it. The Bruce protocol for 12 minutes is bloody hard work. I have had three angiograms and a nuclear medicine scan all OK but no way can I do 12-13 minutes without ELVIS legs at the end. I am now 65 so I will not be taking the test at 70 regardless. One day OK next day cannot drive the same van?????????? Professional licence requirements should be that and not inflicted on private drivers on vehicle that were OK the day before, all for 350 kgs.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Blimey, get enough of that without the injection, thank you very much!
Forgot to mention that the adrenaline injection takes your heart rate to 220 beats a minute and is the most painful thing I have ever done. It is scanned by the camera and compare to the resting picture. Mine was OK but still no way, still want the treadmill test.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
my problem was blood clots. but because they did not reach my heart. I was passed fit to drive 44tons. and I passed my HGV in march. at 70 no props at all.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back