Driving in Germany - any major differences to France/Italy/Spain? (1 Viewer)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Off to Germany fairly soon - our first extended trip there.

It would appear that there are few (if any) toll roads, and I've already sent off for the environmental/emission sticker that they like to see in some cities.

Are there any other aspects of driving in Germany that are significantly different to driving elsewhere in Europe? I'm already equipped for driving in France, Spain and Italy.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
On the autobahns you need to stay with the flow of traffic. That means in practice you shouldn't try and overtake the heavies unless you've got long legs.

there is no legal definition of an accident. In any collision there is at least one party at fault.

Pretty similar to France otherwise I think.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As in Holland, watch out for cyclists, particularly when there is a cycleway along the nearside in towns (your right hand side). It is easy to turn right without checking for cyclists speeding along 'inside you'. I'm pretty sure they have right of way.
Also, I found that German drivers often give way to pedestrians wanting to cross the road in towns when there is no 'zebra' crossing e.g. if someone is waiting at the side of a road, or on a central island. That was in Bavaria - may be different in other regions as the Bavarians tend to be a bit different to others so I'm told.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
On the autobahns you need to stay with the flow of traffic. That means in practice you shouldn't try and overtake the heavies unless you've got long legs.

Could you expand on that a little please. Having a 6m MH it's pretty "nippy" - is there some law about overtaking slower moving waggons on the Autobahn?

Brian

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Off to Germany fairly soon - our first extended trip there.

It would appear that there are few (if any) toll roads, and I've already sent off for the environmental/emission sticker that they like to see in some cities.

Are there any other aspects of driving in Germany that are significantly different to driving elsewhere in Europe? I'm already equipped for driving in France, Spain and Italy.
Just booked our ferry this morning to ijmuiden next week, might see you pootling about germany? Where did you apply for the emission sticker please?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
German traffic law is very different to the UK, in the sense they have laws regulating everything. Effectively, their highway code is the law, not just guidance. For example it is illegal to hold up faster traffic by overtaking a truck. Make someone have to slow down and it could be an on the spot fine for you.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
German traffic law is very different to the UK, in the sense they have laws regulating everything. Effectively, their highway code is the law, not just guidance. For example it is illegal to hold up faster traffic by overtaking a truck. Make someone have to slow down and it could be an on the spot fine for you.

Understood, thanks. Drove (a car) in Germany many times, but not a MH. Once got flashed to pulled out of the way at 140mph, amazing how fast those big Mercs come up on you :eek:

Brian

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Understood, thanks. Drove (a car) in Germany many times, but not a MH. Once got flashed to pulled out of the way at 140mph, amazing how fast those big Mercs come up on you :eek:

Brian
It works in both lanes too. There was an article in MMM last year in which the owner of a VW camper jugging up a hill found trucks coming up behind him and flashing their lights. He thought they wanted him to go faster, they didn't. On the hill the trucks would have been confined to the inside lane but his camper wasn't. They wanted him to move into the outer lane so they could maintain their faster speed by undertaking him.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
They wanted him to move into the outer lane so they could maintain their faster speed by undertaking him.

Now that would never have occurred to me. Is this pretty much confined to Germany or is it a European wide thing?

Luckily enough I'm just heading over the border later this year, but have Holland to get through and Belgium/France next month. Going to have to do some swotting I think!!

Brian

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Now that would never have occurred to me. Is this pretty much confined to Germany or is it a European wide thing?

Luckily enough I'm just heading over the border later this year, but have Holland to get through and Belgium/France next month. Going to have to do some swotting I think!!

Brian

I've never come across it outside Germany but I've not driven as much UN other European countries.

It can be pretty scary and new to driving in Germany drivers can become either terrified or irate due to the big merca and beemers reaction. As long as you remember holding them up is as bad in Germany as making a dangerous overtake is in the UK (and for the same reason) you can stay calm..

One other thing. If you do find yourself on an unregulated stretch of autobahn bear in mind you have no point of reference to these speeds. I have driven at 140mph on an autobahn and things happen incredibly fast. Driving at 65 you can't imagine that so you need to check check and check again..

Oh and I just remembered having thought co to that experience. Germans mirror signal manoeuvre.. that is a process they follow where one follows the other regardless.. the signal is not a request it is a warning. They are about to change lanes regardless of what you are doing.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It's Germany only although perhaps Austria as well - they were all one and the same once! But I wouldn't be overly concerned about things, just drive sensibly and you will be fine.

It is said that when there is a accident between two vehicles in Germany it is almost certain it is because someone has broken the law. The law is extremely prescriptive and judgement rarely comes into things on the road, you either have right of way or you don't. This probably explains why there are so few roundabouts in Germany. They much prefer traffic lights. Black and white, or rather red and green!

The police also have to attend the scene if the value of the damage is more than a certain amount.

Brian_K

Free Member
Feb 9, 2015
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Oh and I just remembered having thought co to that experience. Germans mirror signal manoeuvre.. that is a process they follow where one follows the other regardless.. the signal is not a request it is a warning. They are about to change lanes regardless of what you are doing.

OMG, that's it, I'm taking Ryanair :D

Then for the ultimate thrill, try Naples.

Those southern French take some beating, hired a car in Nice last year and had a good tour around, never swore so much in my life. Totally different in the north of the country (I've found).

Brian

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Could you expand on that a little please. Having a 6m MH it's pretty "nippy" - is there some law about overtaking slower moving waggons on the Autobahn?

Brian
yes you need to be looking 3 kms behind ! If you pull out to overtake, accelerate pass & bcak in. Otherwise you will find the headlights being flashed to alert you to the fact that you are daydreaming & should already be back in.

Exactly.
& don't get the hump that you have been flashed . They are doing it to warn you. Some will put the headlights on from 2kms back as that's barely 20 seconds for some before they will be on top of you.

Brian
France is the same in that the lorries cannot overtake cars in many areas . You will see the signs on the side of the roads.

When exiting a slip road they will ease up to let you out. You are expected to accelerate to join the traffic regardless of speed necessary . Don't ease off thinking you'll let them pass & drop in after as most will slow even more as they are expècting you to enter on to the Autobahn.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Just booked our ferry this morning to ijmuiden next week, might see you pootling about germany? Where did you apply for the emission sticker please?

I used this site for the umwelt sticker, should be less than £10, I found them very good.

Broken Link Removed

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Those southern French take some beating, hired a car in Nice last year and had a good tour around, never swore so much in my life. Totally different in the north of the country (I've found)

Some years ago I crossed the alps heading for the sunshine in an 1800 na fezza. The way they all smoothly change lanes to take the bends at 80 odd mph meaning if you use normal UK lane discipline you are going to find yourself the wrong end of a Belgian Beemer.

Give me Germany any day!!

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Different Traffic LAW over there, every road sign, IS a law! You lose it on a Z bend? you have broken the law, the law had told you there was a Z bend coming up, you lost it, T U F T T Y! Instant fine coming your way!.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It works in both lanes too. There was an article in MMM last year in which the owner of a VW camper jugging up a hill found trucks coming up behind him and flashing their lights. He thought they wanted him to go faster, they didn't. On the hill the trucks would have been confined to the inside lane but his camper wasn't. They wanted him to move into the outer lane so they could maintain their faster speed by undertaking him.
I take it that, being over 3500kg and classed as a private HGV, I would have to remain in the lorry lane and upset many a lorry driver..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
German road direction signs aren't up to our standard, as said on Autobahns don't pull out into the outside lane unless it's clear for miles behind those big Mercs & BMW's ain't half got loud horns. Watch out for speed limits at Autobahn junctions that's where they put the speed traps.

If over 3500kg speed limit on Autobahns is 80kph (50mph).

Hogan7777

Free Member
Sep 28, 2014
Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 694SL
Exp
Since 1995
Others drives are very helpful.I was in the centre of Ulm on a 5 lane carriage way and needed to cross 4 lanes of packed traffic.I looked in the mirror put on my indicator , and was amazed that they all let me cross into the correct lane. Would never never happen in Spain.

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I take it that, being over 3500kg and classed as a private HGV, I would have to remain in the lorry lane and upset many a lorry driver..
Paul I think your classed as HGV over 7.5kg

Eric

Bobby dazzler

Free Member
Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Also be careful of hidden speed camaras in towns and villages i got flashed 3 times last year. Make sure you dont go even a few ķph over the limit.

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
I used this site for the umwelt sticker, should be less than £10, I found them very good.

Broken Link Removed
Got my sticker back last week from the above site cost 12euro emailed everything to them & it came back via post within a few days, excellent service.

Spottycatz

Free Member
Feb 17, 2013
Racodorm
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low Profile
Exp
Still making mistakes! But they're not as costly.
Ebo, how did you attach two pages of your registration document. The on-line system will only let me attach 1 page.

OP
OP
magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You only had to show them enough info to work out type of vehicle and year of manufacture. I posted mine with a photocopy of my V5's first page, but I could have just scanned the top part of it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back