COME BERTIE, TIME FOR YOUR LAST WALKIES (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Bertie followed Death through a door in the wall of the vet's surgery which had not been there a few moments ago and down a long passage which opened into sunlight. Through eyes now undimmed Bertie recognized his favourite beach and on legs now free of arthritis he ran along the edge of the water barking with excitement. As he ran into the distance his footprints became lighter and lighter and then a wave came and gently swept them all away. His barks were heard for a little longer but then became indistinguishable from the cries of the gulls.*

Bertie, 9th July, 1998 to 7th April, 2015, RIP

And in happier times, chilling in Spain last year.
Bertie.jpg

*with apologies to the late Sir Terry Pratchett

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Sorry to read about bertie, he's on the other side now ,chasing rabbits and jumping in the air, my little schnauzer is 14 and her last walk is still in the distance ,I'm hoping for a few more years from her , but we will see

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
I'm so so sorry for your loss. I'm so glad he had the happiest of lives and shared such happy memories with you.

"Brothers and sisters I bid you beware, of giving your heart to a dog, to tear." Rudyard Kipling.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Many thanks, when it came to it the decision was not difficult, he was falling over, walking into walls and would stand shaking and fretting. He went downhill very quickly over Easter.

The vet asked me if I wanted to hand him over and they would take care of him but I thought I would stay. Not sure if that was a good decision but it felt right to look him in the eye and hold him as the vet gave the injection. The effects were incredibly quick.

But the ventilation system in the surgery was useless, dust must have been blown into my eyes. The vet just told me to go and settle up later.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Many thanks, when it came to it the decision was not difficult, he was falling over, walking into walls and would stand shaking and fretting. He went downhill very quickly over Easter.

The vet asked me if I wanted to hand him over and they would take care of him but I thought I would stay. Not sure if that was a good decision but it felt right to look him in the eye and hold him as the vet gave the injection. The effects were incredibly quick.

But the ventilation system in the surgery was useless, dust must have been blown into my eyes. The vet just told me to go and settle up later.
Yes it is not easy but that is all they ask, that when the time comes you can make the decision on their behalf to save suffering & stay until there eyes no longer see.
Rip Bertie.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So sorry DBK. Sometimes the hardest decision is also the easiest, but still breaks your heart.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.

All vets must have the same ventilation system. The same thing happened 3 weeks ago when Ralph took Ruby for her last visit.
Sad times. But you know when the time is right.
Sending hugs.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sorry to hear about Bertie, they tell us when they are ready to go, I will have to make that decision someday in the not to distant future.:(
We took him to the vet about 3 weeks ago when he first started going a bit "wobbly". The vet said he wasn't quite ready for the big kennel in the sky just then but "we would know when the time came". And yes we did.

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry for your loss. The joy of having them with us, becomes part of the pain when they leave. That's the deal. And true for everything that enters are hearts and shares our lives. R.I.P. Bertie. Your work is done. Run free over the Rainbow Bridge, until......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back