Tintagel aire ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
daughter been to tintagel , Cornwall over the weekend says they parked up there for £3 a night, normal park on grass , loads more there, havnt been myself and never heard about it on here, has anyone else been or know anything about it?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
As @spitfire says it is just a car park with some dedicated space for motorhomes, some of them big enough for small campervans only. I've seen it mentioned on Fun before but as it's not an aire not in the same breath as Fylde and Hawick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, we have stopped there a couple of times , best on is , go thru the village towards castle sign on left ,then just past there about 150 yards on the right nice tarmac car park or grass area nice n level £3 a night
Atlantic Rd
Tintagel PL34 0DP, UK
50.664954, -4.753250

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As mentioned on the web site (thanks Jim) there are three privately owned car parks in Tintagel where it is legal to stay overnight. The reason it is legal is that the owners have obtained caravan site licences and planning permission for habitation as well as parking.

Obviously the owners have identified a demand which made it economically viable to invest whatever money and effort were needed. No doubt if owners of other car parks could identify a similar demand then they would obtain licences as well.

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
daughter been to tintagel , Cornwall over the weekend says they parked up there for £3 a night, normal park on grass , loads more there, havnt been myself and never heard about it on here, has anyone else been or know anything about it?

We went there a couple of weeks ago, good stop off point, 3 other vans there, no trouble parking. Very quiet at night so a goods night sleep:). If you are there on a Sunday we can highly recommend the last pub as you down towards the castle for a Sunday carvery all fresh veg etc and plenty of tables.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I think there seems to be a misunderstanding of the term ' aire' . An aire is a French word for a designated area with services for motorhomes to stop either to empty only or stay overnight if permitted . Anything other than that is a parking space .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I think there seems to be a misunderstanding of the term ' aire' . An aire is a French word for a designated area with services for motorhomes to stop either to empty only or stay overnight if permitted . Anything other than that is a parking space .

not quite correct..

aire in France means simply a 'place' or 'area'... more here

perhaps we should unravel some of the British confusion about the word 'aire', it simply means an open area or place. So an 'aire de jeu' is a playground, an 'aire de service' is a service area (yes motorway service area too), an 'aire de repos' is a rest area (again typically on a motorway but simply a picnic site, possibly with toilets). An 'aire de loisirs' is a recreation area (but not a child's playground), and an 'aire de stationnement' is parking! No wonder we are sometimes disappointed when we go looking for one of these 'aires' everyone is talking about! But since we can't make up our minds whether our vehicles are called motorhomes, motorcaravans or campers perhaps we shouldn't be too critical?!

so, correctly, the motorhome parking place at Tintagel should be called 'aire de stationnement'

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think there seems to be a misunderstanding of the term ' aire' ..........................
...................... But since we can't make up our minds whether our vehicles are called motorhomes, motorcaravans or campers perhaps we shouldn't be too critical?!..............
Not to mention those who confuse "camping" with "parking" :D

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
You are quite correct but was just using it in the way most English speakers with motorhomes think of the word .
But your explanation is excellent and very correct :) and in French Tintagel would indeed be an aire de stationment :))

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Not to mention those who confuse "camping" with "parking" :D

yes.. indeed..

Camper Car ... The French keep it simple..

Brits have become snobbish.. despite the description in the V5. they still insist is s not a motor caravan,it's a motor home.. and it's not a camper van.. heaven forbid or worse still a Dormobile .. I call them vans.. or camping vans .. whether 10ft or 40ft

and nothing gives me greater pleasure than asking the owner of a 40ft behemoth how many MPG his camper van does.. :LOL:

just watch them splutter (y)

Reactions: GJH

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ok if you got a small one.....Campervan that is. Be nice if they wake up and make some bays bigger, it's a great area for a stopover. (y)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Doesn't really matter what it's called , if its a legal park in a lovely part of the country for £3 a night it rivals most french aires , we have just spent a fortnight in france on aires every night all free, so not knocking them, but not many to match a place like Cornwall , no ferry , not as far so for a long weekend , I'd say it's a bargain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back