Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Thinking of purchasing a Vango AirWay Kela Tall. Anyone got one, or an opinion on one. I don't have any place to attach it so will need to use the over the roof type straps. Any issues with this method? I need 101 inches to clear hab door hence the tall version and the width appears to be perfect i.e. it clears the hab door and lounge window. I assume that all pitches hard/grass have sufficient room for MoHo and awning, correct? What type of pegs do you use for hard standing pitches? Thanks in advance for your input.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Thinking of purchasing a Vango AirWay Kela Tall. Anyone got one, or an opinion on one. I don't have any place to attach it so will need to use the over the roof type straps. Any issues with this method? I need 101 inches to clear hab door hence the tall version and the width appears to be perfect i.e. it clears the hab door and lounge window. I assume that all pitches hard/grass have sufficient room for MoHo and awning, correct? What type of pegs do you use for hard standing pitches? Thanks in advance for your input.

Need to point out that I deliberately don’t have anything to attach the awning to. I don’t want to stick or screw anything to the side of the van hence the strapped version.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Steve
I can't give you much info regarding the awning but you'll need rock pegs to fix it down on a hard standing, they're thicker gauged pegs which sometimes take some knocking in so arm yourself with a hammer rather than a rubber mallet
Dave

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect some campsites may not take kindly to you putting holes in their hard pitches. CC sites for example also have pitches where you couldn't physically get a peg in unless you used a drill.

You will just have to accept some pitches will be unsuitable because of size or surface and you won't be able to use it there.

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Can't speak to the Vango awning, but we have used both the straps over the top approach (before we had the figure of 8 beading adapter) and threading into the channel on a wind out Fiamma, with a MoveLite XL, on a fairly high van (Swift Sundance 590RL). The latter approach was better in my opinion, but the straps over the top did work. May have to route around any roof fixings like solar panels etc.

Top tip: use a dogs ball (tennis, dense foam etc) in the end of the straps to throw over the van, helps if you have someone the other side to intercept...

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Any issues with this method?

over the roof straps look bad.. they will never be as good a fit as a rail..
as Brian said, easy to fit.. do a proper job..

I did it on my RV .

DSC_5682(1).jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I suspect some campsites may not take kindly to you putting holes in their hard pitches. CC sites for example also have pitches where you couldn't physically get a peg in unless you used a drill.

You will just have to accept some pitches will be unsuitable because of size or surface and you won't be able to use it there.
So I guess a phone call before booking would be the answer or only book grass pitches. Every day is a school day (y)

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Many hard pitches have a grass area on which awnings can be pitched alongside, which is how we are currently setup down in Cornwall. Like you say, a phone call should reveal all...

Upvote 0

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
We tried using the over-the-roof straps when we first got our awning. We only did it once though cos of the noise of the straps tapping against the roof - admittedly it was a bit windy but it was difficult to sleep at night (n)

It may not be a problem with all set-ups (ours is a Movelite XL) but it's worth thinking about.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Matching, was that intentional, looks good (y)

as I recall, it was just luck ..it's also a Movelite XL .. good awning..

we bought and used while fulltiming.. great for storing wet gear, boots etc .. and reducing heat loss when the door is opened..

a winter shot

DSC_5920(1).jpg

Upvote 0

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We tried using the over-the-roof straps when we first got our awning. We only did it once though cos of the noise of the straps tapping against the roof - admittedly it was a bit windy but it was difficult to sleep at night (n)

It may not be a problem with all set-ups (ours is a Movelite XL) but it's worth thinking about.

That is a fair point, and a contributory factor to our switch to the Fiamma awning channel attachment in preference to the straps.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back