Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hope you have a big bank of battery's :ROFLMAO:
You will be able to fit it yourself-- connect the poss and neg to appropriate terminals as close to the battery's as poss and away you go :thumb: Use a thick cable :ROFLMAO:
terry

Al1

Free Member
Jul 20, 2008
Funster No
hi all,

I have just got a 3000 watt inverter to put on my motor home does anybody now how much it is to fit one ::bigsmile:

At full load (3000watts) that will pull 250A from the source, you will need good connectors/ cables for that, and as mentioned short cables.

Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
so max load is around 250Amps:Eeek:, that means a pair of 120 amp/hour batteries wil be flat in much much less that an hour:cry::cry:. If on a hook up use direct mains power, same using a generator, maybe you have a bank of 20 or so batteries and a wind generator plus 3-400Watts of solar panels, what was the thinking behind getting one that big? Where did you think the power comes from?:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
hi all,

I have just got a 3000 watt inverter to put on my motor home does anybody now how much it is to fit one ::bigsmile:

Wow! that's 250 amps which will mean cables nearly as thick as your thumb.

It also means a fully charged 120 Amp hour battery will last about 15 minutes before it is 50% discharged and in need of recharging.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Lyndon you should use at least 40mm battery cable to connect it up, and site it as close to the batteries as possible. For cable see here: Link Removed

I would fuse it at 400amps if its the type that can produce greater power than 3000watts for short periods, otherwise 300amps. See here the "Blue Sea ANL Fuses" from Chandlery World: Fuses, Blocks & Fuse Panels

Realistically speaking IMO if you use it on full chat, 250amps is going to kill anything less than 500ah of batteries, I would think 1000ah is a more sensible size.

Olley

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
A 3000 watt inverter will use a 250A only when running at full power, if he just uses it for the TV or DVD it will be running at a lot less than full power and the leisure battery might last for a full evening.

I also agree that at 250A current 11.8mm cable will just about cope if very short and all good connections. Yes a fuse in line would be a good idea.

Perhaps it was a typo and really only a 300 watt inverter :RollEyes:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Probably not a typo :ROFLMAO: just a case of over kill or SWMBO wanting hair straighteners:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry
Need about £1000 worth of solar panels next :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Perhaps it was a typo and really only a 300 watt inverter :RollEyes:

The word "fridge" was in there. Though to be honest I don't know how much a fridge takes but I assume the startup surge would freak out a 300W one.

Lot's of merriment in here but to a newby "3000W inverter, I can run all my stuff off that" is quite logical, after all 3000W in a home is just nothing.

For this person, me spending quite a lot of cash reducing the lighting from something like 100W down to 10W would not make sense.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Wake up your self ::bigsmile: cable is usually specified by its area in square mm not OD.

Olley

I saw that from the list but you said 40mm, not 40 Square mm or 40 mm squared and 40 mm is darn near 2", hee hee

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I saw that from the list but you said 40mm, not 40 Square mm or 40 mm squared and 40 mm is darn near 2", hee hee

Apologies Brian, but I thought you had enough nounce to know what I was talking about, my mistake I will try to keep it simple in future, just for you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Olley

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Apologies Brian, but I thought you had enough nounce to know what I was talking about, my mistake I will try to keep it simple in future, just for you. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Olley
who the hell is Brian???????? Your reply was aimed at the person asking the question, who obviously had no electrical knowledge which is why he asked. To someone who had no idea 40mm would have appeared to be a huge cable. I was only trying to clarify the matter, but if I offended you olly I am sorry. My name is
ROGER H.N.C. M.Elec (but still get it wrong at times, getting old and senile, hee hee)

Last edited:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
OK guys, whichever way you meusure it that's a bl**dy thick pair of cables he's going to need ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

And yes a fridge on 'start up' (With or without the other stuff) will definately kill a 300W inverter :RollEyes:

I hope he comes back and tells us all how he got on, I must say I'd like the luxory of 3kW inverter with the suitable batteries :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
OK guys, whichever way you meusure it that's a bl**dy thick pair of cables he's going to need ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
glad to see we are back to terminology everybody can understand, proper job.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
look on the bright side if he only uses 40 w for a tv it will not take much more from the battery :thumb: and when you need a lot of power he has it -- power a plenty :ROFLMAO: butr not sure for how long :ROFLMAO::winky:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OK guys, whichever way you meusure it that's a bl**dy thick pair of cables he's going to need ::bigsmile:

Probably the easiest way is to walk into a shop and say "can I have a pair of jumper leads for a Boeing 474 please".

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
I maybe wrong guys but get the impression that there's lots of FUN being had on this thread but I wonder how the orignal poster Lyndon feels after asking a naiive question and being referred to as 'he' by posters.
Probably won't ask again.

:Sad:
Keith

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
I maybe wrong guys but get the impression that there's lots of FUN being had on this thread but I wonder how the orignal poster Lyndon feels after asking a naiive question and being referred to as 'he' by posters.
Probably won't ask again.

:Sad:
Keith

I agree bet he wishes he had never posted:Sad:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
if I offended you olly I am sorry. My name is
ROGER H.N.C. M.Elec (but still get it wrong at times, getting old and senile, hee hee)

Woops sorry Roger, no offence taken. ::bigsmile:

Olley 50yd swimming certificate.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I agree bet he wishes he had never posted:Sad:

But at least better off than one dark night and "Where has all my power gone".

Worse things will happen as he gets into the swing of things.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No

Lyndon

This is the guy to go to regards anything auto electrics. Has an extremely high reputation locally.

Marks Auto Electrics
Hall St, Burslem, Stoke-On-Trent, Staffordshire ST6 4BB Tel: 01782 577251

Phone first as he's often busy and works on his own. Hours of work are 7am - 5pm Mon - Fri and 7am - 12 Sat.

S

sinbad1

Deleted User

But his question was,

I have just got a 3000 watt inverter to put on my motor home does anybody now how much it is to fit one

Fortunately Bulletguy had the answer

Regards

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years

Brian you keep using the word 'he' as though LyndonRV isn't part of this community but an outsider and a novice- as far as I can determine from the information available Lyndon has been a member longer than yourself and from his posts been motorhoming the same length of time give or take. From time to time we will all enter an area we lack knowledge and that can give rise to FUN but hopefully courteous answers that don't deprecate fellow members.

Just my take on things.

:Smile:
Keith

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back