LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Any one got any idea as to why the "Elsan" full light stay`s on, even when empty.. ?

I have tried changing the Cassette ... (Have two on Rapido.) but even changing it stay`s on.. :(

Thanks.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hate to say this but maybe paper stuck on inside?

Hi, Thanks,
That`s what I thought, but putting the second cassette in it was the same...

And that one has never been used... :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Must be a problem with the sensor, making the light stay on permanently. Clean or replace the sensor?

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Must be a problem with the sensor, making the light stay on permanently. Clean or replace the sensor?

Thanks............. Is that the little electric thingy inside that you can see when you take the cassette out..

Like a spring thing with a couple of wires going to it..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It works by a magnet on a float I think. So there must be a sensor, or perhaps just another magnet attached to a microswitch inside the cassette compartment. If the latter a few bangs with flat of your hand in there might help free it.
Edit, just noticed you've already done that!

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Thanks............. Is that the little electric thingy inside that you can see when you take the cassette out.. Like a spring thing with a couple of wires going to it..

Seriously Mo?! You're asking me a techie question?! This is me, Jaime, "away with the fairies" Jaime :blusher: I had reached the absolute outer limits of my intelligence with my suggestion, I have absolutely no idea what it will look like or where it will be located. I just thought "sensor" problem made sense, pardon the pun :smiley:

:*

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Found this over on Wildcamping:

"There's a magnetic float swith in the tank, with a reed switch on the external body"

Someone else goes on to say that there may be an inline fuse holder within the wiring. But that post didn't sound as definitive as the reed switch guy.

:h:

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
as it happans with both cassettees i would think it is the sensor/switch. it can get moved if you are a bit heavy handed puting the cassette in.
Steve

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you been eating anything magnetic recently?

LaMB

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Boston
Funster No
MH
Frankia i 640 SD
Exp
Since 2012
If both your cassette's are the same, I would suspect the reed switch sticking. I've only had the fault when the float in the cassette stuck up from vigorous emptying.

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
... vigorous emptying.

!!! Vigorous emptying? I'm on the verge of switching from an American RV (black waste tank, no cassette) to a European with a cassette. Sounds to me like that cassette weighs quite a bit, I fear to think how I may be even physically able to "vigorously empty" it! I have this vision of holding said cassette (I don't even know what it looks like) and shaking it over the disposal tank or wherever :roflmto:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Sounds to me like that cassette weighs quite a bit,

Keep your number 1`s & 2`s to a minimum... :winky:

I have three horses living in mine and it needs emptying every couple of day`s.. :giggler:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have seen people empty the cassette, stick some water in and shake vigorously. This will break the float valve eventually.
If you use the supermarket bio liquid, you don't even need to rinse it every time, and vigorous shaking should never be necessary. Toilet paper that breaks down easily is a big help too, we use Tesco soft (not the quilted one), breaks down better than the Thetford one and is much cheaper.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Someone will mention corrosive gas in a minute I'm sure :whistle:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have seen people empty the cassette, stick some water in and shake vigorously. This will break the float valve eventually.
If you use the supermarket bio liquid, you don't even need to rinse it every time, and vigorous shaking should never be necessary. Toilet paper that breaks down easily is a big help too, we use Tesco soft (not the quilted one), breaks down better than the Thetford one and is much cheaper.
Second the tesco paper!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Should look like this Mo
image.jpg

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Thanks Andy...(y)

I will have a check tomorrow and take a photo...

Don`t think mine looks like that...:(

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Once upon a time I didn't seat the cassette far enough in so I had a leak of pee that found its way under the cassette. Had to have everything to bits to be able to clean out underneath, disinfect and remove the smell. It soon gets very smelly when you are abroad and its very hot! There is a small printed circuit board underneath with a capacitor or something on it. The capacitor on mine came off with no help from me. I haven't soldered it back on yet and not re-fitted it but use my eyes now to see when its getting full rather than relying on c**p modern technology! Come on its not rocket science to see how full it is when you open the flap to empty the waste into the cassette!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back