LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Just where do you put a spare wheel? 40kg's of dead weight that may never be used and if it is required only a small % of people will do it them self. A job for AA man or who ever, Mine is located right at the back so the effect on the rear axle load is high. Do they fit them else where? inside or out?
Steve.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Steve,
Mine is on the back of the van so, as yours, maximum effect on the rear axle! However, on our last MH (Ace Adventurer) our 'spare' was a pump and a can of goo and I felt vulnerable - never had a puncture though!
Bill

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Now there's a sound survey!

How many Funsters have ever had a puncture(or blowout)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008

Yup 2 or 3 in cars over the years, and one flat in the last motorhome which fortunately went flat overnight when I was on an Aire. If taking a spare off a vehicle which comes with one it would be worth checking your breakdown cover is still valid.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004

I've had one blow-out - fortunately at slow speed (as I turned at a junction). I called the breakdown service and it was all changed within less than an hour.

This was about ten years ago.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've had two punctures in my car.. both caused by the sensor valve corroding out of its socket. Haven't decided whether to wait for the other 2 to go or just change them for standard valves next time I have new tyres fitted.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We had puncture on M25 on way to ferry years ago! We had our swift 590 at the time. Les changed the wheel and we got a new spare Michelin in France, tested my language skills as they weren't happy to sell us one different tyre. When I explained it was our "roue de secours" we were ok.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I had 2 punctures on my Tag Axle Eura at the same time :eek:

1 spare didn't do it so called tyre place out to do the whole job for me.

I now don't bother carrying a spare.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

And how many Funsters have claimed on their insurance ?
I carry a spare on the roof and see it as insurance. (y)

If a puncture at speed ruined a tyre on a Sunday a rescue service would possibly be of no use.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
This is the result at 60 mph front left on the M62 pulled me from the fast lane to the hard shoulder in a split second:eek:

Just lucky I didn't hit anything and even luckier it wasn't the front right
As I'd guess it would have flipped me over the barrier :(
image.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Had several punctures in the car over the last couple of years - caused by debris left over from hedge cutting - some had barbed wire embedded in them and the local man at the garage says he gets dozens in when it's hedge cutting time..... only ever one on a motorhome and don't want to have another.

Our motorhome only has a an of goo, no spare :(

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our previous van, a Chausson Flash 04, didn't have a spare, just the 'goo' so we bought one and I mounted it in the garage, our current PVC has a spare located underneath near the rear but it's a b*ggar to get off!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our old Hymer's spare was underneath in a wire cage - when we did need it we found that it was the wrong size.... been like that since new.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I got a puncture in Murcia last summer.

Was literally at the furthest point of the summer tour.

Spare is located above rear axel in the double floor. Attempted to change it myself, supplied jack was useless, so called recovery service.

All fixed within half an hour.

We had been taking a scenic route through the Pyrenees a few days earlier, middle of nowhere - could have been a different story.

Now carry a large brace and five ton bottle jack.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I had a spare wheel fitted to our Bessacar 665. It was fitted just behind the rear axle and in front of the fresh water tank. If I ever have to actually use it, I will use the recovery service to change it.

CTC in Witney did a great job

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
I'm on my second car which doesn't have a spare wheel, it has a bottle of gloop and a card with the number for national tyre rescue service. On my RV I couldn't replace a wheel if I had a flat anyway, I'd have to phone for assistance but I do have a spare.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I`ve had mine 11 years never had a puncture, but the spare is under the van wedged between the chassis legs I haven`t got a F*****g hope of gettin it off :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just where do you put a spare wheel? 40kg's of dead weight that may never be used and if it is required only a small % of people will do it them self. A job for AA man or who ever, Mine is located right at the back so the effect on the rear axle load is high. Do they fit them else where? inside or out?
Steve.
What you driving a 20 tonne truck? Our Ducato spare weighs 25kg inc. bracket, I would never travel without a spare, not had a tyre go on a Motorhome but had a couple go on caravans nothing left of the tyre well shredded.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Steve.

I removed mine from the back wall mounting of the 181 (as I felt it wouldn't stay there in an impact anyway)& laid it flat on the garage floor, I felt it was safer & reduced the rear axle weight, alo I could move it from side to side to suit driving on the right or left. Did not fancy having to get it out of the right hand garage door on the M6 hard shoulder.
I did have to use it once when we had a flat on the Belgian border.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Had a couple of punctures in the past few years, both times hadcans of goop, both times had no chance of fixing the problem.
Got spare on MoHo but recovery service will be changing it not I.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Had a blow out south of Le Havre blooming bang didnt half make me jump luckily light traffic o/s/r

Attachments

• Photo1388.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

We have! On a motorway in Spain near Jerez when it was peeing down with rain. Fortunately our driver (Gwen) managed to bring us safely to a halt on the hard shoulder.
I wouldn't go anywhere without a proper spare because it Would take more than a can of goo to fix it when this happens:
image.jpg

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
some intresting replys, i wonder if some of the 'blow outs' could have been prevented if some sort of pressure/temp. monitoring was used? the ones involving damage from debri is frightning as there is nothing you can do.
Steve

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I had checked tyre pressures on leaving home Plymouth also ,whilst waiting at the port Portsmouth all fine .
But like you say Steve don't matter what type monitor you have fitted ,it doesn't help when you can't avoid debris on the road .
Then its all down to skill of driving and a whole lot of luck .I've had blow outs on big wheels ,par for the course with amount of miles covered,but in the camper you tend to be in another zone ,a relaxing drive ,and when it happens ....well brown streak time ;) now always carry spare and the goo in a pot stuff .

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I keep the spare on board, mainly because it sits in the engine bay, and isn't a liability, however, don't bother with a jack, let the breakdown man supply that one!. In reality, would anyone really consider changing an offside puncture on the hard shoulder of the M6?? :Eeek:

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Just where do you put a spare wheel? 31kg's of dead weight that may never be used and if it is required only a small % of people will do it them self. A job for AA man or whoever, mine is located right at the back so the effect on the rear axle load is high. Do they fit them elsewhere? Inside or out?

Edited as I put 40kg after weighing it is in fact, 31Kg.

Steve.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
A few years ago we were on an Aire in France and a fellow Brit pointed out that my front tyre looked 'a bit low'.

It had a slow puncture, a nail was in it, and between us we changed the wheel in a few minutes.

I took the tyre to a local garage and they repaired the tyre, charged €10, and we were on our way in no time.

If we hadn't had a spare wheel we could have been standing around for hours, and I don't exaggerate possibly days if you can't source a correct size replacement, waiting for a recovery vehicle.

Calling the recovery people should be your last thought not your first as they are very thin on the ground at weekends and the frequent public holidays and your, and certainly mine, lack of foreign language skills to summon the recovery may also delay their response.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I check my tyre pressures before any trip and if it's a long one mid trip too.

Tkly

Free Member
Nov 27, 2009
Near Stonehenge
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
9 Years
On a previous van I had a rear tyre delaminate at 60mph on a duel carrigeway called out rescue to change it. (almost had to change trousers as well ) it also cut the fuel filler pipe.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back