Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
hi all and Happy Easter

Off to France next month and going to be carrying 2 bikes on the rack on the van, I've seen quite a few vans with a reflective squares when doing so.

Is this a requirement in France?
Thanks in anticipation
Steve

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
That's the best advice, ie, from Jim above

I never have the bikes on the back without the Red/White marker board, and it's correct alignment is relative to which side of the water you are driving on. ;)

AFAIK, Italy require a metal board, whereas other EU countries only require a plastic board.

Cheers,

Jock.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
hi all and Happy Easter

Off to France next month and going to be carrying 2 bikes on the rack on the van, I've seen quite a few vans with a reflective squares when doing so.

Is this a requirement in France?
Thanks in anticipation
Steve

Good for road safety,,,makes back of your van much more visible ....use mine everywhere ,,,BUSBY

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
No it is not protruding far enough from the van rear wall to be of any consideration

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's the best advice, ie, from Jim above

I never have the bikes on the back without the Red/White marker board, and it's correct alignment is relative to which side of the water you are driving on. ;)

AFAIK, Italy require a metal board, whereas other EU countries only require a plastic board.

Cheers,

Jock.

Spain legally requires a metal board.
Just to be slightly pedantic but the 53cm square hatched red/white with 4 reflectors that we are all extolling the virtues of are , in fact , not the correct marker board under EU rules . This board is meant for denoting OVERHANGING loads , i.e. steel on lorries or items extending past the rear on a roof rack or trailer etc. This is why the Spanish & Italians insist on steel boards that cannot be degraded by sun /wind, or damaged by overhanging trees ,etc.

The actual marker board that is meant to be used for, fixed extensions to the vehicles overall length i.e. bike racks, tow bar mounted racks, rear lockers,extendable m/c racks ,etc; is still red/white crosshatch but is 20cm in height & somewhere around 1,44m width. The is is to ensure that it covers the majority of the width of vehicle.

Do you need the marker board if you have no bikes on and the rack is folded up?

No it is not protruding far enough from the van rear wall to be of any consideration

You do here.
The manufacturers length, width ,height are on the log book & any additions have to be homologated & the bike rack, which I have but never use requires a Board even when not in use as it is deemed to be a " fixed extension "to the vehicles length. Foreign vehicles would be treated the same by a Trafico GC with the hump.
Anything overhanging a roof rack to the rear without a board would be a fine as well.

Reactions: f6c

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
From Caravan club

Carriage of bicycles
Bicycles may usually be carried on the roof of a car, provided they are attached to an adequate roof-rack and the total height does not exceed 4m. However, the cross-Channel operator will need to be advised in advance of the total height of the vehicle as this may affect the cost of your crossing.

Bikes can also be transported at the back of a vehicle provided they do not obscure lights, indicators or number plates. Bike racks can only rest on the tow bar if the maximum weight allowed on the tow bar is not exceeded.

Portuguese regulations stipulate that bicycles may not be carried at the rear of a car, but they can be carried at the rear of a motorhome or caravan, provided that they do not extend beyond the width of the vehicle or more than 45cm beyond its length.

In Spain and Italy any overhanging loads must be indicated by a square panel measuring 50cm x 50cm with reflectorised red and white diagonal stripes which can be purchased from Fiamma stockists (www.fiamma.com). Panels are available in aluminium and plastic and in Spain you can use either however, in Italy the panel must be aluminium.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Worth mentioning these rules are not confined to bikes, but anything which protrudes from the rear, particularly back boxes.

Having said that no one arrested me in Spain last year - but I have now got a plastic panel for our box.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My
http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-carry-bike-auto-trail.html

sticks out 350mm when folded up .It legally requires a board as although it is homologated & on the registration document it is not part of the original vehicle & is an" extension to the vehicles constructed length"

From Caravan club

Carriage of bicycles

Portuguese regulations stipulate that bicycles may not be carried at the rear of a car, but they can be carried at the rear of a motorhome or caravan, provided that they do not extend beyond the width of the vehicle or more than 45cm beyond its length.

That rules out all the Fiamma racks as most extend the length between 58 & 65 cms.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
So realistically if you're not going to put bikes on it it would make sense to remove two bolts and unhook it rather than cart it around Europe :LOL:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Just feeling a little smug here......... with our Brompton Folding bikes in the van under the bed...... tee hee :rolleyes:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just a Thought? Does this equally apply to a Mobility Scooter, on a rear Rack?. I would assume it might or would it be exempt because of what it is?

Pete.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Jim! a TV, a bread maker, a bike rack.............WOT NEXT? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just a Thought? Does this equally apply to a Mobility Scooter, on a rear Rack?. I would assume it might or would it be exempt because of what it is?

Pete.
I can't answer your question accurately Peter, ie, from the legal perspective, but as mentioned previously, displaying one certainly adds to the road safety of the vehicle, as the board really does make the rear of the vehicle stand out.

It's fitment also portrays the actions of a responsible driver, to any traffic enforcement officer, should you be pulled for something.

Now that the weather is picking up, I hope to be displaying ours more often..............and hopefully, not just here in the UK, where there is not a legal requirement to display one. ;)
They certainly do make sense though, don't you think?

Cheers,

Jock.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Does the 45cm rack size in Portugal apply to tow bar mounted racks as we are thinking of getting one of those plus 2 electric bikes and they are all 55cm at least,? Thank you.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does the 45cm rack size in Portugal apply to tow bar mounted racks as we are thinking of getting one of those plus 2 electric bikes and they are all 55cm at least,? Thank you.

yes, the law would apply.. .. whether you would ever be stopped, measured and fined, I doubt that very much..

I had the Thule tow ball rack on my RV and toured both Spain and Portugal.. but wasn't aware of the size rule at that time.. so gave it no thought... ignorance is bliss. :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back