Hyundai i10 City car... Any good ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thinking of trading my aging 2003 Honda CRV in for a new Hyundai i10 City car .. nothing wrong with the Honda , never lets me down but it only does about 28-30 MPG, VED is now £300 and as it ages it needs more work each year to pass the MOT.. year on year it is costing more to maintain and run..

The Hyundai i10 gets good reviews, VED £30, cheap insurance, 50 MPG , 5 year warranty etc..

won't be doing any long journeys.. mostly just local runs to school , Army Cadets, shopping etc.. so..

who has one, or knows anyone who does.. is it a good choice for a city runabout .. ?

lets here about it.. particularly any bad points .. thanks.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Had one on hire.
For 4 weeks i was very impresed with the car.
It had the 1.2 engine not the 1.0.

Mel

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have a 1.2 comfort, daughter has the same, £20.00 tax 45/50 mpg good practical small car. I also have a CRV Diesel 07 ex. very comfortable gives 37mpg 39 on a run . The Hyundai is an excellent town car, park it anywhere, and tows well behind the MH on the A Frame.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Friends have a Kia Picato which I think is the same car under the skin, it has been faultless for the 3 years since new, I have a Kia Venga again a very good car.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We had an awful time with the salesman.. But the citigo was lighter., more economical and better equipped... Also its a vw and we do rate their longevity... We also got a good service deal..
We got the 3dr..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We had an awful time with the salesman.. But the citigo was lighter., more economical and better equipped... Also its a vw and we do rate their longevity... We also got a good service deal..
We got the 3dr..

thanks.. will pay the dealer a visit .. and yes, I noted they had better economy ..

what is the annual VED ?

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
My wife has the new I10 1.2 Premium and its a cracking little car with a big car feel. Lots of gizmos as standard. Its also the third I10 she has owned.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
£20 tax.. Also got a real spare wheel :)... Its got a garmin sat nav and obviously BT and cruise.. Heated seats mirrors etc

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Daughter has the i10 1.2 from new, now nearly 5 years old, has been completely trouble free. I love to borrow it, as it's nippy, easy to park and so economical.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We looked at the i10 but went in the end for the kia picanto. It was cheaper with a special offer, service plan for 3 years £99, and 7 year warranty :) trouble free so far. In fact getting another one and giving this one to my daughter. :)

ebo

Nov 9, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class Carado i449
Exp
Since 2009
Our son got the 1.2 comfort new 5 yrs ago, he's still got it & hasn't had any trouble with it, great little car. He has no interest in cars what so ever so consequently never touches it to check oil water etc, only ever gets done when he come home to see us, and that's by me,and when it goes in for an annual service, its only been washed half a dozen times, you guessed it by me, but still looks great.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
We looked at the i10 but was too small for me so we went for the i30 diesel auto great car but now swmbo does most of the driving says its to big ,so waiting the arrival of an C3 diesel auto ...in Purple !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We looked at the i10 but went in the end for the kia picanto. It was cheaper with a special offer, service plan for 3 years £99, and 7 year warranty :) trouble free so far. In fact getting another one and giving this one to my daughter. :)
Kia's also have the suspension tweaked by Europeans so the handling is a lot better equivalent Hyudia tend to roll a lot more. When I brought my Venga exactly the same spec, but £1000 cheaper, 7 year warranty instead of 5 & much better handling even though they come out of the same factory in Slovakia.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
We have had one from new just 3 years ago, had a new screen washer pump fitted under the 5 year warranty, my wife uses it for local trips most probably under 3 miles, the car is fine I like driving it, but petrol consumption on local trips is app. 30-35 mpg, so if you do a lot of miles may not get more than 40mpg(as has been stated on here) they are a nice car to nip around town, ours being the 1.2 classic. For mostly town driving if you do enough miles,I would buy a small car with start stop as consumption does increase dramatically on some models.
Good luck with the purchase.
Etap

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have had one from new just 3 years ago, had a new screen washer pump fitted under the 5 year warranty, my wife uses it for local trips most probably under 3 miles, the car is fine I like driving it, but petrol consumption on local trips is app. 30-35 mpg, so if you do a lot of miles may not get more than 40mpg(as has been stated on here) they are a nice car to nip around town, ours being the 1.2 classic. For mostly town driving if you do enough miles,I would buy a small car with start stop as consumption does increase dramatically on some models.
Good luck with the purchase.
Etap
Screen washer pump is the only thing that has gone wrong with our Venga. Fuel consumption not that good either, but still a lot cheaper than spending a few grand more on a more expensive car that will save you a hundred quid a year in fuel.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
so a few more in the mix.. thanks for suggestions..

been reading city car test reports .. the Skoda looks to be favorite at the moment.. better MPG than the Hyundai, but will have a look and test drive of both..

some interesting reviews here http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-city-cars

Last edited:
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Might also be worth looking at taking a lease instead of outright purchase.

Some hot deals around, even on one and two year leases.

If I was looking to buy, would probably go for VW or Skoda, as the residual value is so much better later on.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I like ebo comment about his son having no interest in his car. Our son passed his test at 17 , now 27 never owned a car or interest in owning one. Uses bus, train or uber if coming home after a night out. I think there are a lot like that now.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Skoda's seem well built my daughter has a Fabia, she has had it 5 years from new only thing that has gone wrong with it was the wiring to the reversing light switch chaffed through on the sump, dad had to fix it.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I like ebo comment about his son having no interest in his car. Our son passed his test at 17 , now 27 never owned a car or interest in owning one. Uses bus, train or uber if coming home after a night out. I think there are a lot like that now.

unfortunately, we have no choice, no public transport from our village to civilisation.. a car is almost essential ..

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I know what you mean as we live in a village to. He has left the nest long a go. I think that cars will gradually be out of reach for youngsters with insurance etc, and if they live in a city it's cheaper using public transport and cabs.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
We have an i10 elite,just over 5 years old now. Good spec. Was impressed on first test drive. Have had a couple of very minor problems in that time, nothing to cause a stop. We travel back & forth to France quite a bit, down to La Rochelle area often with a trailer. Very good both in town & long trips. Have just changed tyres to Michelin, original Kumos not worn but showing signs of perishing in the tread pattern. Would buy a new one if the pension could afford it. Great little car.
Barrie.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back