Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi all
I'm still trying to get to grips with MH electrics and I have a question regarding the fridge, we have a Swift Bolero and it's fitted with a Thetford fridge with a digital display, on handover the fella said that the best setting to put the fridge on was 'auto' setting, this way the fridge will find the best power source, when it has done this the blue light on the front panel will stay constant, here's my question, we drive off somewhere having disconnected the mains electric and the blue light will flash, is this because it then won't drain the battery, if so what setting would I put it onto if I was wild camping, would this then need to be powered by gas? Sorry if this sounds vague but trying to get to grips with the control panel etc is proving a bit different to the electrics in a caravan
Thanks
Dave

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
In the Auto mode the fridge will default to mains 240v if hooked up, if not on hook up it will then go to gas, when you start the engine it will go to 12v, while on 12v it only maintains the fridge temperature, so not very effective to use the 12v for initial cooling.
If the blue light is flashing when the engine is running and you are certain Auto is selected there may be a problem with either the 12v supply or the fridge controller.
Try taking it off Auto and run it on all three power settings manually, this should test each supply.
Good Luck (y)

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
If you change the power source it sometimes takes a bit of time to cycle through its options looking for a power source
15 to 20 mins is not unheard off.

So the light will flash until it finds the required option

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
In the Auto mode the fridge will default to mains 240v if hooked up, if not on hook up it will then go to gas, when you start the engine it will go to 12v, while on 12v it only maintains the fridge temperature, so not very effective to use the 12v for initial cooling.
If the blue light is flashing when the engine is running and you are certain Auto is selected there may be a problem with either the 12v supply or the fridge controller.
Try taking it off Auto and run it on all three power settings manually, this should test each supply.
Good Luck (y)

Thanks for the info (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
If you change the power source it sometimes takes a bit of time to cycle through its options looking for a power source
15 to 20 mins is not unheard off.

So the light will flash until it finds the required option

Ok thanks for that, perhaps I'm being too impatient, strangely though the internal light still comes on when you open the door so something must be working

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
With the fridge set to "Auto" there should be a delay of around 10-15 minutes after turning off the engine before it will fire up on gas.
This is a safety measure for garage forecourts so the fridge shouldn't produce a flame whilst fueling the vehicle.
I can't remember if the light flashes during this period but I think not.

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The internal light runs on 12v and is independent of what the fridge is running on.

We find with ours, if it hasn't been used for a while it will not initially operate on gas if set to Auto. Set it to gas and it goes fine, after a while set to auto it works correctly on all 3 sources as available.

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
As usual there are a few misconceptions being spread here. The fridge will be best on the auto setting simply because it will automatically switch to the most appropriate power supply in the order of 230 V hookup if connected, Gas, 12 Volt if engine running.

The delay that has been mentioned is only applicable when switching from 12 Volt once the engine has been switched off. If hookup is connected the fridge will select 230 V operation immediately, if no hookup is connected then there is a 15 minute delay before the fridge will attempt to light on gas. This is deliberately engineered into the system to avoid the fridge trying to light while you're in a petrol station.

The fridge is perfectly capable of cooling on 12 Volt with the engine running, this idea that the 12 V will only keep it cool(ish) is a throwback to the very early 3 way fridges (plus the fact that absorption fridges take a long time to cool down anyway and most of us only drive for a couple of hours at a time), modern units have a 12 V element of similar power to the 230 V element so are equally as good at cooling, modern fridges also use only one thermostat which operates on all power sources.

D.

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
The internal light runs on 12v and is independent of what the fridge is running on.

We find with ours, if it hasn't been used for a while it will not initially operate on gas if set to Auto. Set it to gas and it goes fine, after a while set to auto it works correctly on all 3 sources as available.
That's interesting to know, the only time my fridge internal lights work is when it is first powered up, subsequently when I open the door nothing happens. I have spoken to Marquis Motorhomes as the vehicle is still under warranty and they don't know what the problem is, I emailed Thetford three times and they haven't bothered to reply. No change there going off some other posts regarding Thetford :madder:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
That's interesting to know, the only time my fridge internal lights work is when it is first powered up, subsequently when I open the door nothing happens. I have spoken to Marquis Motorhomes as the vehicle is still under warranty and they don't know what the problem is, I emailed Thetford three times and they haven't bothered to reply. No change there going off some other posts regarding Thetford :madder:

I think they should've stuck to making toilets..

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
As usual there are a few misconceptions being spread here. The fridge will be best on the auto setting simply because it will automatically switch to the most appropriate power supply in the order of 230 V hookup if connected, Gas, 12 Volt if engine running.

The delay that has been mentioned is only applicable when switching from 12 Volt once the engine has been switched off. If hookup is connected the fridge will select 230 V operation immediately, if no hookup is connected then there is a 15 minute delay before the fridge will attempt to light on gas. This is deliberately engineered into the system to avoid the fridge trying to light while you're in a petrol station.

The fridge is perfectly capable of cooling on 12 Volt with the engine running, this idea that the 12 V will only keep it cool(ish) is a throwback to the very early 3 way fridges (plus the fact that absorption fridges take a long time to cool down anyway and most of us only drive for a couple of hours at a time), modern units have a 12 V element of similar power to the 230 V element so are equally as good at cooling, modern fridges also use only one thermostat which operates on all power sources.

D.

Thanks Dave

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
The fridge is perfectly capable of cooling on 12 Volt with the engine running, this idea that the 12 V will only keep it cool(ish) is a throwback to the very early 3 way fridges

In fact, early 3 way fridges on 12v were permanently powered and not thermostat controlled. Many was the time I got on site with the caravan and the milk was frozen.

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
Also as I understand it Dave it will take longer to cool the fridge if you start it from ambient temperature on 12v, I think that this may be where the confusion comes in. We put our vehicle on hook-up the day before we go away and that gets the fridge/freezer down to its normal operating temperature before we load it with food and set off.

By the way I think that getting to grips with the electrics is one of the main problems for new MH owners. It certainly was for me. :)

KH

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you are going to run on auto do make sure you know how your van is wired. Hymer's fitted with Dometic fridges, if there is no other source available will switch to the habitation battery they have been wired like this since about 2007/2008.
I pulled the fuse in the Electroblock on mine so it can't do it, was same on my last van.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Also as I understand it Dave it will take longer to cool the fridge if you start it from ambient temperature on 12v, I think that this may be where the confusion comes in. We put our vehicle on hook-up the day before we go away and that gets the fridge/freezer down to its normal operating temperature before we load it with food and set off.

By the way I think that getting to grips with the electrics is one of the main problems for new MH owners. It certainly was for me. :)

KH

Thanks for the support KH, when we had the handover I was thinking how simple it looked......it obviously does in the right hands :whistle:

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
While we are talking fridges, I was on a 12-hour ferry a few days ago and left the fridge on gas as there was no instructions to turn the gas off (Italian ferry). When I checked the contents after disembarking I found that the fridge temperature has risen above zero degrees and the milk etc wasn't chilled. I take it the motion of the ferry affected the fridge, has anybody had the same experience? Might as well just switch the fridge off from now on or travel with it empty.

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
I was thinking how simple it looked......it obviously does in the right hands
It is very confusing at first, however after a couple of trips you will soon have it sussed.

The first time I tried to set up our MH I did it on the drive and it took me and my brother-in-law (a seasoned caravaner) half a day and a couple of calls to the dealer where I purchased the MH, to work out how to get the gas stove working!

It wasn't until I read the instructions properly that I realised that you had to push the gas burner control in as you turned it! :)

You will soon get used to the routine of setting up and it will be second nature, then you will be on this forum helping other newbies to get started.

KH

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
While we are talking fridges, I was on a 12-hour ferry a few days ago and left the fridge on gas as there was no instructions to turn the gas off (Italian ferry). When I checked the contents after disembarking I found that the fridge temperature has risen above zero degrees and the milk etc wasn't chilled. I take it the motion of the ferry affected the fridge, has anybody had the same experience? Might as well just switch the fridge off from now on or travel with it empty.
That is extremely dangerous, why would you want to endanger your life and every one else on the ferry.

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
That is extremely dangerous, why would you want to endanger your life and every one else on the ferry.
A bit dramatic to say the least, if it was that dangerous then I'm sure MH users would have been instructed to switch it off, as I said in my post. I also have a rupture protection system fitted which means it is safe to drive with the gas on, if I can drive down the motorway at 60mph then I'm sure its just as safe when its rocking gently from side-to-side on the ferry. I'm sure that I have read posts on MHF about leaving the gas on whilst travelling on the ferry, I don't believe I am the only one. But I will be turning it off anyway, not because I am afraid I am going to turn a ferry into a gigantic health and safety risk but because the fridge doesn't work

Upvote 0

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I have had a
Having had a look at the regulations for the ferry company (Tirrenia), the only reference I can find to LPG is regarding cars powered by it. However I take your point having researched it on the 'net, the majority of people turn it off so I will do so as well (y)

Reactions: CWH
Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Depends on the ferry port strictly they apply the regulations, when you arrive at Newhaven the first question they ask "Do you have gas on board?" followed by "Is it turned off?".

Upvote 0

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Hi all
I'm still trying to get to grips with MH electrics and I have a question regarding the fridge, we have a Swift Bolero and it's fitted with a Thetford fridge with a digital display, on handover the fella said that the best setting to put the fridge on was 'auto' setting, this way the fridge will find the best power source, when it has done this the blue light on the front panel will stay constant, here's my question, we drive off somewhere having disconnected the mains electric and the blue light will flash, is this because it then won't drain the battery, if so what setting would I put it onto if I was wild camping, would this then need to be powered by gas? Sorry if this sounds vague but trying to get to grips with the control panel etc is proving a bit different to the electrics in a caravan
Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave K
I think we have the same fridge as you, we have a bessy e560 and think it's the same layout ours is an 07 plate. The way we use our fridge is when on hook up it auto detects the mains electic and sets its self . When we go away I unplug from mains, start the van engine and then manually set it to the battery symbol on the fridge controller. When we get to our destination, engine off, turn on gas in the locker and then put fridge onto the gas setting. We usually keep the fridge on 3 bars which keeps things nice and cool. This works for us. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave K

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Dave K
I think we have the same fridge as you, we have a bessy e560 and think it's the same layout ours is an 07 plate. The way we use our fridge is when on hook up it auto detects the mains electic and sets its self . When we go away I unplug from mains, start the van engine and then manually set it to the battery symbol on the fridge controller. When we get to our destination, engine off, turn on gas in the locker and then put fridge onto the gas setting. We usually keep the fridge on 3 bars which keeps things nice and cool. This works for us. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much that does help, ours is also an 07 plate, it's a Swift Bolero with a rear lounge. I think I'm gradually getting to grips with it although I was in the doghouse this morning, turned the control onto summer setting with hot water only before we went to bed, woke up this morning to a very cold van....oops

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back